Throwing away a child's lunch?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't like the whole "credit card" system schools have adopted. There have been plenty of times that I forgot to put more funds into my kids' accounts and they got the alternative lunch instead. They are never denied and shouldn't be punished for parental oversight. However, if you don't have the money to buy lunch, pack one.

I agree with the packing lunch.

2 years ago my daughter would take her lunch to school and give it to her friends if they didn't like what they had or if they didn't have lunch of their own. Then she would go through and pay with credit. Suddenly I get a call saying I owe $50 :noway:

I understand things happen, and because of that credit system my daughter will not be purchasing lunch at school. I requested that they don't give her a pin number. That seemed to help.

You must have packed the worst lunches ever if she chose to eat cafeteria food instead........
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    As many famillies who make more than I do, and still get free lunches. Give the damn kids a free lunch. It's not thier fault. I guess when we start making 6 year olds get a job, then this would make perfect sense. But until then...seriously.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    They're not "throwing away a chil'd lunch" they are denying him/her a free lunch. I'm sorry there are parents out there that are irresponsible, but if they can't afford a lunch, pack a lunch. Apply for food assistance.

If it is truly an oversight, no child is going to starve to death missing one lunch and, if it is a recurring problem, then it falls to the parents to get their act together.

I'm sorry some people can't afford to support their children and I,m sorry the children have to suffer, but I'm not all that crazy about supporting their poor choices.

I'm not sure you read the article. The children were provided lunch, and then after it was discovered that the accounts had insufficient balance, the food was taken away from the children and trashed.

I did miss that. Thanks. Throwing it away is so stupid. Doesn't change my opinion, however. I do feel badly for the children, but this all falls on the parents' shoulders. I really can't find a good excuse for the innatnentivemess of the parents. I had three daughters in Public School. They never missed a meal. We either provided lunch are made sure their lunch accounts were current. We struggled at times, but it never affected our children. If you are going to have children, make them your number one priority.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    So I work in a school cafateria ( over 60 percent of the kids get free or reduced lunch) and we would never throw away a kids lunch! I think my boss would kill us if we did. Our policy is they can go up to $3 negative,( which is the cost of one lunch) at that point we r supposed to hand out cheese sandwiches but they still get all the other things on there tray with the exception go the main course (exp cheese sandwich, milk, juice, apple and a salad) that being said we never make cheese sandwiches so we just end up telling them to bring money tomorrow which many of them don't. We also have several 'hard case' situations that on our register pops up 'feed them' which means they or a parent have spoken to my boss and regardless of money or lack of you make sure they eat. If anyone's not eating where I work it's because they chose not to.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    They're not "throwing away a chil'd lunch" they are denying him/her a free lunch. I'm sorry there are parents out there that are irresponsible, but if they can't afford a lunch, pack a lunch. Apply for food assistance.

If it is truly an oversight, no child is going to starve to death missing one lunch and, if it is a recurring problem, then it falls to the parents to get their act together.

I'm sorry some people can't afford to support their children and I,m sorry the children have to suffer, but I'm not all that crazy about supporting their poor choices.

Not a popular opinion, but the one i a agree with most.

I agree with it ASIDE from the fact....they had already given the kids the lunches.....They then took them away and gave them the fruit/milk......and THREW AWAY the full lunch.....Yeah Throwing it away does a lot of good......And they embarrassed the kids. Let the kids have the lunch you gave them and note it to give them the fruit/milk moving forward until it is resolved.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    This is despicable. They "started" making calls on Monday and come Tuesday they THREW AWAY the food already given to the child. This "Child Nutrition Manager" should immediately be collecting unemployment.

Agree!! If that had happened to my daughter I would have been extremely ticked off!

We don't know every single, individual situation - how many other notices did the parents receive that they ignored? Or was Monday the first time the school tried to reach out to them? How many parents didn't give a hoot and how many are struggling financially? How many had the money to provide but didn't receive proper notification? One woman who was interviewed claims her 5th graders lunch was one of the ones taken away and she and other parents state they never received a notice there was insufficient funds.

The whole situation was handled improperly and that "Child Nutrition Manager" needs to be fired. The school lost money due to insufficient accounts and now they wasted food and embarrassed themselves to the entire country.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't like the whole "credit card" system schools have adopted. There have been plenty of times that I forgot to put more funds into my kids' accounts and they got the alternative lunch instead. They are never denied and shouldn't be punished for parental oversight. However, if you don't have the money to buy lunch, pack one.

I agree with the packing lunch.

2 years ago my daughter would take her lunch to school and give it to her friends if they didn't like what they had or if they didn't have lunch of their own. Then she would go through and pay with credit. Suddenly I get a call saying I owe $50 :noway:

I understand things happen, and because of that credit system my daughter will not be purchasing lunch at school. I requested that they don't give her a pin number. That seemed to help.

You must have packed the worst lunches ever if she chose to eat cafeteria food instead........

lol. i gave my daughter 13 bucks for school lunch at the beginning of the year and i bet I get 11 of it back. She will not eat school lunch at all. We make her lunch every morning together.
  • breakingthecycle722
    Options
    To dylans mom:
    If it were one of my girls I would have done the same dam thing!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Anyone who would take food out of a child's hand and throw it away should not be working in a school. I don't care who gave the order to do so.

Right? I wonder how the lunchroom workers felt about it?
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    This thread totally needs this. You are welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-nj5ZoZwg
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

I agree with it ASIDE from the fact....they had already given the kids the lunches.....They then took them away and gave them the fruit/milk......and THREW AWAY the full lunch.....Yeah Throwing it away does a lot of good......And they embarrassed the kids. Let the kids have the lunch you gave them and note it to give them the fruit/milk moving forward until it is resolved.

This is exactly why it really struck a nerve with me. The embarrassment of the kids. They also didn't give the parents a whole lot of time to reconcile the account after the notices were given. It is a power trip and not at all fair to the kids.
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    While I don't agree with taking away a lunch they already have in hand, I can see the schools side as well. My mom works for a local school district and they have families that owe over a thousand dollars in lunches. Some of the families with the highest bill are upper middle class families that should be able to pay for the lunches, but don't because they know the district won't deny the kids a hot lunch.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    i think this is just an isolated incident, one lady "from the school district" came to the school and was trying to show her power. all she showed was insensitivity and unprofessionalism. exactly the reason why even the people who do not directly work with children needed to be selected carefully.
    in many schools especially in south where a large number of students are from families below poverty limit, there are free breakfast, parents don't even need to fill out papers or show income evidence. even during summer holidays schools serve free lunch in Tennessee. so it is not like the schools try to humiliate kids on a regular basis or discriminate them based on their lunch money balance.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    But none the less you don't give a child a tray of food and then take it away in front of all of their classmates and throw it in the garbage. If there was a problem then they shouldnt have even served the child in the first place.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options

This is true for me as well. At daughter's school they do not take lunch money in every day like we used to. You give them money and they put it in their account. It's annoying because I give her a $20 but it's hard to keep track of when that might run out. The school usually sends notes home to let you know that you've run out of money but sometimes my daughter loses them or whatever. Just the other day she came home and was like "I need lunch money". That was Friday and I forgot over the weekend (I have a two week old baby) and didn't get to it until Tuesday. At her school, you have to eat a "cold sandwich" (I'm assuming like ham and cheese or PB&J) and veggies and/or fruit if you forget for too long.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

This is exactly why it really struck a nerve with me. The embarrassment of the kids. They also didn't give the parents a whole lot of time to reconcile the account after the notices were given. It is a power trip and not at all fair to the kids.

Agreed. I have no issue with trying to get payment from the parents and giving the children fruit and milk for lunch instead of a full meal as long as it was done prior to them getting a tray. I have an issue with the spectacle and the public humiliation of these kids who, for all intents and purposes, had no idea their accounts were delinquent.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    As many famillies who make more than I do, and still get free lunches. Give the damn kids a free lunch. It's not thier fault. I guess when we start making 6 year olds get a job, then this would make perfect sense. But until then...seriously.

I agree with this. I know people who make salaries that I would call STAUNCHLY middle class whose children qualify for free lunch. If a child is starving they need to be fed. They don't need to be humiliated. But low income parents need to sign up for free lunches for their kids and those who have too much income to get free lunches need to seriously buck up and pay for their child's food. I realize I live in a low cost of living area but seriously...if you have a 2 income household, own a home, have the latest iphone, nice car, and 2 kids...you can afford to buy the kids lunch at school or from the supermarket...period
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I went to an elementary and middle school where the amount of money your parents had = how 'popular' you were. This would be social suicide and seriously beyond humiliating if it happened to me or any of the children around me. We even had three lines in middle school - the left was for 'average' kids, the middle was for the wealthier/cooler kids, and the right was for the poor kids, with each line charging more. This in itself was absolutely atrocious and self esteem killing over something the children had no control over. I was blessed to be able to stand in the middle line (coincidentally, junk food, and the 'poor' line was the healthiest in hindsight) - but I always (even then) felt bad for the less fortunate kids.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Anyone who would take food out of a child's hand and throw it away should not be working in a school. I don't care who gave the order to do so.

Agreed...the level of ignorance displayed these days is incredible.