Throwing away a child's lunch?

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Objectively speaking, I can see the situation from the school's point of view, and I realize that the only way they can put pressure on the parents is through the kids.

Subjectively speaking though, from having been the "poor kid" in school, I can tell you that children are reminded of their parent's socioeconomic status in so, so many ways by their peers. It would be kinda cool if the administration tried to be neutral about it.

TLDR: I agree with the concept, but not the execution.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I want to know what kind of notification they gave those parents that the accounts were overdrawn? I realized my kid's was the other day. I had received NO notice of it.

That would piss me off. My daughter is only in kindergarten and her school uses an online site now for me to upload funds to and it sends me an email alert when it gets low. (at the amount I choose to be considered too low) But from what I heard this was the 1st year it has been in place. I wonder how they did it last year? Probably some sort of credit system and with sub-standard book-keeping and notifications being sent to be parents which resulted into adopting the online system. I love it. I can see even see what she buys with it. (for the record, she uses it for breakfast at school, I pack her lunch and afternoon snack)
  • Dan_Druff
    Dan_Druff Posts: 104
    Options
    Blame the parents, not the school. It's not the schools responsibility.

Did you read the article?

This was the result of an unpaid balance was it not?

I see where you're coming from, I really do - but there is a right way to handle things and a wrong way. The wrong way is throwing a perfectly viable meal into the trash. The food obviously does not need to be financially accounted for if its going into the bin; so letting the child have it would not be as detrimental as it is to a child's psyche as letting them mentally equate their worth as being less than letting something go into the trash can.

It got the parents attention didn't it? I bet they won't forget to pay their tab again. These parents were too lazy to make their kids lunch everyday so paid for it to be provided by the school, then were too lazy to make sure there was enough money in their accounts and now they're mad at the school. Typical.

They are upset with the way the school handled it. As stated in previous comments, sometimes the school doesn't notify about a past due account until it's a large amount (as was my case with my daughter) They only just started to call the parents to notify them. If someone called me today and said "Send me $50" I would tell me to send me a bill first. They didn't just hand the kid food then take it away. They handed the kid food then THREW it away.

Why is it the schools responsibility to keep the parents up to date on their balance? The parents should take the initiative to always know. If this happened to my daughter I would simply say "I'm sorry you had to go through this, Mommy messed up" then proceed to tell her now lucky she is to have food period as some kids only ever get that fruit and milk.
  • Dan_Druff
    Options
    This would all be so much easier if you just give your kid money, like the old days. I guess there were problems with that too, but at least it's straight forward...you have the money for lunch, or you don't. If you don't, hopefully, you brought one. If you didn't bring one, and you don't have money, you borrow money from your friends. That's how it worked for me, and it was fine.

Exactly. My friends mother packed me a lunch everyday because my mother couldn't always afford to send me to school with one. I wasn't "humiliated" I was grateful.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Why is it the schools responsibility to keep the parents up to date on their balance? The parents should take the initiative to always know. If this happened to my daughter I would simply say "I'm sorry you had to go through this, Mommy messed up" then proceed to tell her now lucky she is to have food period as some kids only ever get that fruit and milk.

I agree with you on this. I keep up with how much I have sent to school with my children. The only thing they can buy is breakfast and lunch, so for me, it really isn't a problem.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Blame the parents, not the school. It's not the schools responsibility.

Did you read the article?

This was the result of an unpaid balance was it not?

I see where you're coming from, I really do - but there is a right way to handle things and a wrong way. The wrong way is throwing a perfectly viable meal into the trash. The food obviously does not need to be financially accounted for if its going into the bin; so letting the child have it would not be as detrimental as it is to a child's psyche as letting them mentally equate their worth as being less than letting something go into the trash can.

It got the parents attention didn't it? I bet they won't forget to pay their tab again. These parents were too lazy to make their kids lunch everyday so paid for it to be provided by the school, then were too lazy to make sure there was enough money in their accounts and now they're mad at the school. Typical.

They are upset with the way the school handled it. As stated in previous comments, sometimes the school doesn't notify about a past due account until it's a large amount (as was my case with my daughter) They only just started to call the parents to notify them. If someone called me today and said "Send me $50" I would tell me to send me a bill first. They didn't just hand the kid food then take it away. They handed the kid food then THREW it away.

Because parents aren't perfect either. The schools have a system where they are giving credit for food...therefore they should be sending out bills to parents on a regular basis. I have made plenty of mistakes, but I also have a lot on my plate. I can't remember everything all the time. If I can't just send my daughter to school with money then I would expect that there was a notification process for the account.

ETA- It is the job of the parent AND the school to work together to ensure that a child's needs are met.
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    While I don't agree with taking away a lunch they already have in hand, I can see the schools side as well. My mom works for a local school district and they have families that owe over a thousand dollars in lunches. Some of the families with the highest bill are upper middle class families that should be able to pay for the lunches, but don't because they know the district won't deny the kids a hot lunch.
    The schools are somehow affiliated with the state? Why can they not send those people a letter saying you pay or we take your tax return....becuase you know they get one.

There's also small claims....schools I believe are able to do this.....colleges can for unpaid tuition. The school needs to get thier money. Yes. But keep feeding the kids. It's very likely that school lunch as nasty as some claim it can be, can also be the best or only meal a child gets.

Schools need to not play a victim in ^ situation.

The district my mom works for always gives the kids a hot lunch no matter what the parent owes, but that created the huge debt problem. The parents that don't want to pay know their child will be fed the lunch anyway so why pay. The school does try to collect from the parents, but they will only take it so far when the child is still in the school system to not create issues like the one this school is facing by their poor choice to try to get parents pay.
  • Dan_Druff
    Options
    Because parents aren't perfect either. The schools have a system where they are giving credit for food...therefore they should be sending out bills to parents on a regular basis. I have made plenty of mistakes, but I also have a lot on my plate. I can't remember everything all the time. If I can't just send my daughter to school with money then I would expect that there was a notification process for the account.

ETA- It is the job of the parent AND the school to work together to ensure that a child's needs are met.

If you don't have time to ensure your child is being fed then what DO you have time for? Seems to me that should be a priority. You can't rely on other people when it comes to something like that.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

If you don't have time to ensure your child is being fed then what DO you have time for? Seems to me that should be a priority. You can't rely on other people when it comes to something like that.

That was hypothetical. .....my daughter packs her lunch now.

It isn't that feeding a child isn't a priority, but some people have situations that occur beyond their control that make feeding their child difficult. Not only that, but being a full time single mom, 2 kids and 3 jobs, my focus is feeding my kids in general (not necessarily is the money in the account/is there enough credit). My point is, if a school is going to give credit, then they need to also send a bill for the balance on a regular basis.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that prisoners pretty much get a free lunch, but not school children...

In any regard, I would be beyond livid.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    They're not "throwing away a chil'd lunch" they are denying him/her a free lunch. I'm sorry there are parents out there that are irresponsible, but if they can't afford a lunch, pack a lunch. Apply for food assistance.

If it is truly an oversight, no child is going to starve to death missing one lunch and, if it is a recurring problem, then it falls to the parents to get their act together.

I'm sorry some people can't afford to support their children and I,m sorry the children have to suffer, but I'm not all that crazy about supporting their poor choices.

Not only does the actions of the school make me sick but so does this response. The children have no control over the actions of their parents. They should not be punished. If the food was already distributed and then going in the trash, let the child eat...and add it to the parents bill. No child should suffer with an empty stomach for any reason and no child should suffer this humiliation. I truly think you miss the point. Imagine if this was your child. As a parent I struggled to support 4 small children. I did it and they never went without a lunch. If I seen this, I would pay for all 40 children to have lunch. This is just sickening to me. Where is the compassion in this country anymore?
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I read this and was appalled- to waste the food i/o having the kids eat it is quite a moral crime.
    A hungry belly will not help the child learn.

The school should send bills to the parents, but if the food will be wasted, why not give it to the child? This is sad, we claim to be the land of plenty yet we act this way towards the poor. it sucks, I hope this is fixed.
  • Dan_Druff
    Options

It isn't that feeding a child isn't a priority, but some people have situations that occur beyond their control that make feeding their child difficult. Not only that, but being a full time single mom, 2 kids and 3 jobs, my focus is feeding my kids in general (not necessarily is the money in the account/is there enough credit). My point is, if a school is going to give credit, then they need to also send a bill for the balance on a regular basis.

I meant "you" as in anyone who doesn't have time, not you specifically. There are resources for families who are not able to feed their children. I would assume that the parents who can't afford to feed their children wouldn't be the ones participating in the lunch program, but the ones sending their kids to school with bread and jelly instead. I don't think the parents not being able to afford to pay their tab was the issue here, it was their lack of responsibility and "time" as you said.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I want to know what kind of notification they gave those parents that the accounts were overdrawn? I realized my kid's was the other day. I had received NO notice of it.

Exactly!

AND....

Many times my kids have forgotten to give me things from their school. Lunch notices, pictures, report cards... you name it, it's been forgotten by one kid or the other. They get home, toss their book bag to the side and forget about it (if they have no homework) until they pick it up to leave the next morning!

The biggest problem in the whole story is that the food had already been given to the children, to take it away and THROW IT AWAY is beyond ridiculous. :grumble:
  • hellamark
    hellamark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Tea Party!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I meant "you" as in anyone who doesn't have time, not you specifically. There are resources for families who are not able to feed their children. I would assume that the parents who can't afford to feed their children wouldn't be the ones participating in the lunch program, but the ones sending their kids to school with bread and jelly instead. I don't think the parents not being able to afford to pay their tab was the issue here, it was their lack of responsibility and "time" as you said.

Is that all you see is the fact there was an irresponsible parent here? Because of these actions, children were not only not allowed to eat, they were embarrassed. Put yourself in the children's shoes. How would you feel? Humiliated? Embarrassed? Yes they were given milk and fruit. I am sure that went unnoticed by other children. discretion should have been used if the lunches needed to be taken away. I could care less if the account had no money in it because the parents couldn't afford it or they forgot. I could care less if the school tried to contact the parents and couldn't. What I care about is the children! As if bullying and taunting is not already a problem in schools, these children have to deal with this type of crap. Totally unacceptable in my book.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

Actually no. The issue was that this person at the school went on a power trip and pulled a move that could have been rather traumatizing to a young child. It's not just time either, it's the reminder. For example, I have a credit card that needs to be paid, therefore I get a bill. This same concept should apply on a regular basis for parents.
    In my case, for example, had I known that my daughter was feeding her friends early on, I would've stopped it before the bill became as high as it did. I packed her lunch, I sent it to school with her, why would I need to check her account balance?
    I agree that the parents are responsible to pay the bill, but not at the expense of humiliating a child. Ever.
  • Dan_Druff
    Options
    Is that all you see is the fact there was an irresponsible parent here? Because of these actions, children were not only not allowed to eat, they were embarrassed. Put yourself in the children's shoes. How would you feel? Humiliated? Embarrassed? Yes they were given milk and fruit. I am sure that went unnoticed by other children. discretion should have been used if the lunches needed to be taken away. I could care less if the account had no money in it because the parents couldn't afford it or they forgot. I could care less if the school tried to contact the parents and couldn't. What I care about is the children! As if bullying and taunting is not already a problem in schools, these children have to deal with this type of crap. Totally unacceptable in my book.

There are two different types of parents, those who coddle and those who prepare their children for the real world.

tumblr_inline_ms5vzplPLe1qcgzvm.gif
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Anyone who would take food out of a child's hand and throw it away should not be working in a school. I don't care who gave the order to do so.

Agree. 100%.