WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newbies, you've come to a great bunch of women. Keep coming back and posting often. It's great to get to know everyone.

Susan - I'm not too far from you. I'm in Oshawa ON, just down the river :happy:

Joyce - You & your DH are in my thoughts & prayers. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and you are both back home to recover.

Gean - welcome, wow a deer? that would shake me up too.

Eileen - give your poor little fitbit a chance, I went swimming with mine and it is still working. I hope yours will too!

Patty - wow that would have been really scary. Good for you for calling the police. Not worth taking chances.

Meg - I can only imagine how scary that would be. When DD was in high school they had a bomb threat and I was just beside myself. Of course I'm over protective of my kids :laugh: (they would say way too much so).

Today was weigh in...lost 1.8 lbs. I'm just .6 away from breaking 300. It's a real motivator for the coming week! I went to Aquafit this morning and our teacher had to leave early so a lifeguard took over for the last 15 min. He's a nice kid but no aquafit teacher.

Watching the Olympics, Canada had their first gold medal. Sisters took the gold & silver in the moguls. What a thing to see.

Have a great day everyone!

:heart: Sandy in snowy frigid ON
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Katla - congrats for your puppy! and for you :wink:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hi everyone, just wanted to check in. No time to read and catch up but I did skim quickly. My mom is in the hospital until at least tomorrow. She was, as I knew, dehydrated. I thought I heard "the pneumonia cough" I'm too familiar with last night but her xray is clear, although her white counts are up a bit. What I HOPING is that before she leaves the hospital, we have a good assessment of her current situation and near future prognosis so either hospice or home care will be waiting for her when she's released. I'm also hoping this hospital visit will give my step father the reality check he's in need of so we can react properly in her best interest. I had someone to leave my son with earlier but I'm going to him back with me for a quick check in, now that she's in her room so I know she's in good hands for the night. My step father is awesome at following directions and doting on my mom but he's not proactive at all and thinks if she's not talking she's ok. I asked her a couple of questions earlier and found our she needed socks on her feet, was cold, was uncomfortable how she was laying and her back hurt more after the hard xray table:ohwell:

The good news is that I got some cleaning squeezed in this nightmare today. The bad news, no work out.

xo
    Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Sandy, congrats on your loss best wishes for the week to come

:heart: Joyce prayers going for you and hubby, take care

:heart: Gloria prayers for your mom and you also so stressful when you have a little guy depending on you too, take care

Well wishes for all even the poor little fit bits are having a hard time

Juanita
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello lovely ladies. I am trying to catch up on laundry, mail, bills and other such fun things. Not realistic for me to catch up reading all your posts though. Perhaps another time. I hope everyone is doing well.

The scale showed a bit of a loss this morning. That is good. My back is sore. That is less good. So, I will keep it short.

I am very happy I went to see my mom and hope she hangs in there for a while yet. Going to download some pictures. Bye for now.

Renny
    from frosty Vancouver Island, BC.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Joyce - so glad to hear DH is going to be OK :flowerforyou: Will still keep you both in my thoughts for a full and quick recovery.

Meg - what a scare! Glad it all worked out. We still lived in Omaha when the Von Maur shooting took place and remember how frightening that was. Hugs to you and DD

Jill in western MA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I’m so happy for your husband that they were able to do something to improve his situation. I’m happy for you, too. I hope this relieves the worrisome symptoms and allows him to feel better.:flowerforyou:

Eileen: I hope you get more rainfall in the coming weeks. :flowerforyou:

Sandy in ON: Congratulations on your weight loss. :flowerforyou:

Gloria: You got a workout, all right, but not the kind that makes you feel better. It was a stress work out. Perhaps you can squeeze in a little walking or dancing at home. Put on music you like and move to the beat for a while. I find that a bit of exercise helps relieve stress. I’m keeping you and your mom in my prayers. :flowerforyou:

Renny: It is good to see you are back at home. It sounds as though you had a great visit with your mom. :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Just checking in, I have been doing well with filling out my food
    and exercise diary. I've been doing well with staying within my calorie
    Range. Now I need to get my sodium under control and my sugar. As
    long as I eat at home I do well. Today I worked out at the Y and then
    went to subway. I got a turkey, spinach and avocado sub on flatbread.
    I just need to figure out the calories. Of course I ended up eating a bag
    of chips. But I won't beat myself up. It was the first junk food I had since
    Jan the 4th. I'm trying my best not to eat out, I decided to go to the YMCA
    While out running errands so I didn't fuel up my body so I was so hungry
    afterwards.

I hope everyone has a Good weekend and I hope we all have a good
    week of exercising and eating better.
    Brenda
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,774 Member
    Options
    evening chica's.
    well as for an eating day,not so hot..went out to breakfast with a few friends of mine from the gym, had eggs,toast homefries and tea..
    then had a childs size burger and fries for dinner, and a tiny bag of cadbury eggs.
    1600 calories later:embarassed: did get in at least 8,000 steps..
    went and picked up a free dresser this morning, we have something called freecycle here. so someone in the next town was getting rid of one and I needed one, the only thing is,
    the drawer tracks on the bottom for the drawers are dis attached, and to re-attach them the DH and I are trying to figure out a teeny flat head screw that would keep them in so they will slide in and out.It has 8 drawers and we have 5 of them working:smile:
    Meg- sorry you had such a scare
    Gloria-Hope your mom gets the right care and gets home soon
    Joyce- glad to hear your hubby is on the mend,I know what its like to sit around the hospital
    Katla-glad to hear the poochie pooped, yes we have used pumpkin also..
    well I am off to bed, its been a long day..gonna read for a little while and then lights out
    sending love and healing wishes to those who need them :heart:
    Alison.
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear that your husband is doing better. Hopefully, this good news will relieve some of the stress you have been under and you can get more sleep!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Blood pressures at the mall were down abouy 50% from last year…my group only did 114 and the second group only did 87. The third group is still there, so hopefully they will be more successful. Not much else is going on; I’m going to watch the Olympics with some friends, so this is brief.

Joyce: hope hubby is feeling better now. How scary

Wishful: welcome aboard

Smwert: so glad your cancer is gone. Welcome to our group

Fit forriding: welcome to you too!

Katla: pumpkin is also good for those nasty anal glands

Gean: welcome to our group!

Well like I said this is brief I feel like the resident slacker. No news on the cousin. Take care, Meg from frosty Omaha
  • drlewando
    drlewando Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Headed to the bowling alley with my grand daughters. They are 3,4,5, and 7.........
    All my calories have been consumed today,,,, so I brushed my teeth extra clean to motivate me to avoid any snacks while bowling.

Dawn
    Nebraska
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your good news.Take care. A few days of rest at home will do you both good. Pat in Ohio
    Quick update, failed the stress test, he had a cardiac catheterization this afternoon and they put in 2 stents. All of his blockages are bow taken care of. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I am still really, really tired.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    I went for my usual Saturday walk to the coffeeshop with DH. Today, however, we had snow, so I wore my heavy Sorrel boots. That was quite a workout, and I am taking it easy now waiting for my pot roast to cook. During our walk, an eagle flew by us close enough for us to see its feathers.

One more small thing just for fun. We have an uncaged rabbit in our living room. She will often keep me company when I sit on the couch, nudging my ankle for pets. Last night, however, she scrabbled at me and pulled on my sock until I remembered she had done that before when her water dish was empty. Sure enough, when I went to check, she beat me there and showed me the empty dish. Smart bunny!!

Still logging food and learning.
    Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have finished reading all the posts from the last few days and have laughed and cried with you. Life is good here with only a few bumps in the road. Staying in the moment is always a good solution for me.

:bigsmile: I have been watching the Olympics on both US and Canadian TV and have twice as many athletes to cheer for. Figure skating is my favorite but today I watched the women’s mogul skiing and cheered for the sisters from Quebec and the defending champion from the US. I walked in place a lot while watching.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ..20,000 steps today ----and yoga
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Home for the night. I stayed until they got husband up. He was very insisted that they let him up about 45 minutes early but his actual nurse and wife nurse were insistent that he not. 2 against 1, nurses won. I told him the only thing I would do to help him was to retrieve the urinal for him. He eventually got desperate that he did use that. Men can be so, so stubborn. One litttle thing I always did for my patients when they got up for the first time after laying in that bed in practically the same position for 4-6 hours straight was to really straighten their bed while they were in the bathroom. I have noticed that they just don't do that these days. So while he was up and the nurse was still in the room, I took all his top covers off the bed, straightened the draw sheet, and then put all the other covers back on real neat, fluff the pillows a bit and the bed is a little more comfortable to get back in. Plus it just makes the room look nicer. I hope I taught her something. After not eating anything at all yesterday and today I was thinking he would really be hungry but he hardly ate any of his supper. I know he wants to be set lose as quick as he can but I want him better.

Kayzoola we used to have some pet rabbits. My daughter worked at a pet store at the time. They had an unwritten policy that if there was any unwanted pet, bird that feel from a tree, wild baby rabbits that had their Mommy ran over by a lawn mower, bring them to us and one of our employees will take them. they didn't take cats or dogs but more the exotic animals.So we had wild and house rabbits in our home that summer.The house rabbits were already full grown. We were told that they were not destructive and made excellent house pets. I don't know if we had any cord that we didn't have to replace by the time we rehomed them. But they were cute and very cuddly. Now the wild rabbits. They were so tiny, made such tiny little noises. It took a family affair to keep them fed and they grew up nice. Problem was in finding them a proper home. we have a nature reserve that we thought would take them but they said no. So one night we just parked next to the reserve in the dark and individually scooted them through the chain link fence. We did the same with the baby snakes we raised and let go when they were old enough to fend for themselves. We knew that in the nature reserve they would either kill or be killed but it was all part of the food chain.our favorite was the sugar gliders.We had a breeder pair for pets and my daughter was the expert in the store. It takes a lot to tame them and they need to be tamed from a very young age so some of the people who would buy them would have my daughter take them and we would train them and then give them to the owner. They take very little money to take care of them and sell for a really good amount of money. We were sad when we finally had to give them away. Pancake and Sassy had been a part of our lives for many years and we were very attached to them.

I think I may give up on watching last night's opening ceremony for the Olympics. I'm trying to watch todays I have recorded. But I know I won't even be able to do that.

Did something terrible tonight. I knew after tonight I would be out of yogurt so I stopped by the store after I left the hospital. So I got the yogurt, chapstick was on the way to yogurt so that somehow made it in my cart. Then I went all the way up about 10 aisles, completely away from checkout and checked out the chocolate:sad: I know what stress does to me and I let it happen.

I'm going to try to go over to the hospital tomorrow morning and then go to church which means I''l be in jeans to go to church. Oh well, if they don't lie it then they aren't the church for me.

Joyce, indiana
  • Sandil964
    Options
    Normally, I set no resolutions for the New Year other than to be happy with whatever happens in the year. However, I began this year feeling I had less self esteem than Ii should have because of the way I have let myself go with regards to my size and weight. This ugly feeling has prompted me to correct the situation--in spite the constant prodding from my spouse and family from the past year or so (LOL).
    I am not quite 50'but I turn fifty this year and I am claiming it now! I have set my goals to be back in better fitness and health. I want to be like my BFF who has lost enough weight to get off her HBP and diabetic meds. I am only borderline HBP and it came upon me when my weight went overboard, so I am striving to have similar results as she did.
    Anyway, On February 1st , I officially began utilizing MFP and it has helped me so much. I am so much more aware of what and how much I am consuming and burning. It’s terrific. Now I am convinced that I can stay on track to make healthy changes. I want to loose close to 45-50 pounds by the end of October. I believe my goals are reasonable and attainable as long as I do this MFP on a daily basis.
    So Happy to be with you all. I welcome any new friends that would like to add me. Thanks.
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I found this message board tonight. What a great bunch and I would love to be a part of it.

So my name is Linda. I am a hospice nurse supervisor. About 12 years ago I lost 100lbs the wrong way (starvation) and you probably already know what I am going to say next. Yep I gained every pound back plus an extra 15. So this is the heaviest I have ever been. It stinks.
    My doctor has really been on my to use this site and I think I actually joined a year or 2 ago. I started to change my eating habits about 3 weeks ago by stopping all diet soda which I was drinking by the gallon daily. Also I cut way back on my white food. IE carbs. I remembered this site a few days ago and thought I would give it a try.
    WOW is all I can say. It is motivating me to try so much harder and make real life changes as opposed to starvation which we all know is a no-no.
    I am trying to cut back on the stress but that's a real tough one considering my current job and food has been my comfort. I will say since I started this new way of live-it instead of diet my husband has lost more weight than me without even trying. grrrr. :huh:
    well that's enough about me. Looking forward to keeping in touch and encouraging each other.

All the best
    Linda

2 quick questions. how do I save this page so I can find it again and do I need to add all of somehow to stay connected. Help!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Bumping for now. Got back late last night from difficult trip to West Virginia and NYC. This morning was appointment with closet organizer. I'm bushed. :yawn: Catch you all later.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,377 Member
    Options
    Today I did two of the challenges that were posted on another forum You know, the first one you do 30 squats and then something like 10 burpees. Well, I didn't look right and I wound up doing 30 burpees! I did find that I used 8# weights while doing the wall squats. I started out with the 8# weights for the curls but upped it to the 10# ones since I felt like I needed something more. Haven't done wall squats in a while. I used the exercise ball between me and the wall.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a Denise Austin belly fat DVD

We think Loki may have had a mini-seizure. He was on 1-1/2 pills/day and was doing fine so we reduced him to 1 pill/day. I was reading the paper this morning and heard this funny noise. Whenever he has a seizure, he usually yelps. I looked at the bottom of the stairs and he was just sitting there. Then he was really craving attention. That usually happens right after he has a seizure. So Vince called the vet just to let him know that we're going back to 1-1/2 pills/day. The other cats will really like that since when he gets his pills, they get "treats". Really, buying those treats in the bags can get so expensive, so what I do is Fancy Feast and Cat Chow market this dry food in something like 2lb bags. They get that for "treats".

Hope everyone has a great day! We need to cut the cat's nails and then I'm thinking that I'll do some cooking for the rest of the week. Going to Rummikub tuesday so I'll make these chicken legs and have some quinoa to have with them. One gal tries to eat gluten free (not for health reasons, she just prefers it) and she's lactose intolerant. So the chicken and quinoa will work for her. Last time I had it here I made these gluten free chocolate chip cookies, but she couldn't eat them since it had butter in them. Oh well....I also had a fruit salad so I gave her the rest of that to take home with her. Update: made these sweet and sour chicken legs for Rummikub and also some pork chops for later in the week. Then since Jessica said she might come here next weekend, I made these cookies that she likes.

Jessica called last night. She may come down here next weekend. Well, I have some of this shortbread cookie dough that I'll use up. I remember the last time I made them, I didn't get enough of the chocolate chips so I'm thinking that this time what I should do is also get a bag of Hershey's kisses (Vince'll shoot me...lol) Update: I just made larger cookies and used the chips on them. Also made some smaller ones, didn't put any chips on them, but I'll give them to Vince to have

Juanita - now I remember that when we were in the Poconos, one year we had a big snowstorm. Our roof wasn't that pitched and I seem to recall Vince using a rake upside down. Not like we needed to do it again. How interesting that that's what you do. Do you have some sort of heating element in your gutters?

katla - your dinner sounds so yummy

AnneCarolOne - one day going off your diet regime won't be all that bad. And who could pass up going to a new restaurant? I know that I couldn't if Vince would take me to one. What a bargain you got on that bed! Good for that wolf!!!!

Joyce - sure hope the test doesn't turn up more blockages. What a worry!

DeeDee - not sure exactly when we'll be leaving for FL. A lot depends now on how Loki reacts and Lexi. And if Jess comes here next weekend, we definitely won't leave until after she's gone back. So we're probably looking at around the 17th, 18th. It can be bitterly cold then, I won't mind....lol

Linda - enjoy the carnival! Congrats on the losses

Wishful - you're always welcome!

Susan - You've been thru so much, you have my autmost admiration. Vent all you want to, we have big shoulders.

Laurie in St. Charles - when are you going to Hawaii? More importantly....can I come????

Ellen - everyone is different, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Some people do well on low/no carbs, I don't think I could but that's just me. The trick is to find what works for you.

FitForRunning - welcome. Come back often

Patty - I've been thinking of you lots lately. You were wise to call the police about that guy. How scary!

yanniejannie - hope you have a great time at the banquet

Joyce - so sorry to hear about your hubby. I'll keep him in my thoughts. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

katla - woohoo for the doggie. That pumpkin seemed to do the trick. Glad of it

Sandy - I remember once Bryan asked me when I was going to stop worrying about him. My answer? "Get used to it because when I die, I'm coming back from the grave to worry about you". That didn't quite go over real well....lol Woohoo on the loss

Brenda - I'm not real crazy about eating out, either. Mainly because of the way they prepare the food.

Meg - wonder why the bp's at the mall were down? Say, do you ever do them at a YMCA or other health club?

Dawn in NB - I usually take a bottle of water with me when I'm bowling.

Joyce - good for you winning that argument with your dh!!! You are so good

Sandi and Linda - welcome!

Linda - now that you've posted, this topic will be under your tab "my topics", just click that and you'll be here.

Michele in NC