US Food Policy: If you could change one thing...

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Require all restaurants to post nutritional information on their menus.

AMEN! It makes me so mad when a place doesn't have this! How are we suppose to make the right decisions if we don't have the right tools! If they don't want to broadcast it, at least have one on hand for those of us who want to see it!

Probably wont work. This happens in the UK anyway and obesity levels are rising. Ok, granted that if you went into your local non-chain kebab/burger place that they arent going to have this, but everybody knows this food is junk and calorie-laden anyaway, so why is looking a set of numbers going to do anything?

Kebabs are "junk."

Really? Grilled meat and veggies isn't even considered food to you?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Nutrition labeling/information on all food sold (with the exception of uncooked meat and vegetables).

I don't mean that it all has to be tested (but some spot checking surely should be done), but good faith estimates using USDA published values for ingredients should be required.

It is a required social agreement between consumers and people that sell food that the food they sell doesn't get you sick. The next step is a social agreement between consumers and people that sell food that reasonably accurate nutrition information is available for the consumer for all food sold.

Though I don't think consumer expectation of this is terribly far off. I would wager within the next 10-20 years in the US, consumers will come to expect nutrition information on all food, those businesses that choose not supply it do so at their own peril. The arrow on this issue is moving in one direction, and critical mass/escape velocity is not terribly far off.

There is a large genre of restaurants in the US that is on the verge of being killed off, while there certainly are a lot of factors in this, nutrition without a doubt plays a small but real role. Dieter friendly restaurants are the ones that are thriving at the moment.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    lmhbuss wrote: »
    I would be totally happy with a truth in labeling mandate. I will make my choices and take responsibility for them....but please give me honest info to work with, eh?

This^
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Make it so the calorie info has to be correct (none of this +- 20% crap).
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    LC458 wrote: »
    Get rid of the FDA & subsidies for corn &soy

This^^ and outlaw GMOs

Thats more than 1 thing I realize but the food policy needs a serious overhaul of changes :)
    But... but... non-GMO corn killed thousands upon thousands of people. Why do you want people to die?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

This^^ and outlaw GMOs

Thats more than 1 thing I realize but the food policy needs a serious overhaul of changes :)
    But... but... non-GMO corn killed thousands upon thousands of people. Why do you want people to die?

@VeryKatie - you probably aren't going to get an answer since that person posted that in 2014 and the account no longer exists.
  • VeryKatie
    Options

This^^ and outlaw GMOs

@VeryKatie - you probably aren't going to get an answer since that person posted that in 2014 and the account no longer exists.

LOL every time haha.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This^^ and outlaw GMOs

LOL every time haha.

I almost did until I saw a post from someone I hadn't seen around in a long time. Then I caught on. lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    This thread is so full of CRAZY. :indifferent:

I know - it's either incredibly fantastic or incredible sad.
    Both. I vote for both.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    jen_zz wrote: »

Yup, accurate ones too.

Yes definitely this
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cathi888 wrote: »
    Reopen slaughter houses for horses and let the needy have some protein. If they are really hungry, they will eat it. They have come around to eating venison.

Interesting thought. I have heard that horse and donkey meat are not necessarily bad. But why should it be stigmatized as only for the needy? Maybe other sources of meat should be normalized in American culture so we can try to get away from feedlots some. I live near rural Ohio and eating rabbits and squirrels is not unheard of, but is still considered sub par to beef, chicken, or pork.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If serving size is for 1 cake... DON'T PUT TWO !
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Cathi888 wrote: »
    Reopen slaughter houses for horses and let the needy have some protein. If they are really hungry, they will eat it. They have come around to eating venison.

Interesting thought. I have heard that horse and donkey meat are not necessarily bad. But why should it be stigmatized as only for the needy? Maybe other sources of meat should be normalized in American culture so we can try to get away from feedlots some. I live near rural Ohio and eating rabbits and squirrels is not unheard of, but is still considered sub par to beef, chicken, or pork.

Rabbit is delicious, and a popular animal among backyard farmers.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    $.03-.05 per ounce tax on sugar added soft drinks. Money to go to healthcare.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I would label GMOs and from what source. It shouldn't any more expensive, probably a few pennies. Also legalize raw milk.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Make it so the calorie info has to be correct (none of this +- 20% crap).

That isn't possible really. No two foods are truly identical, so calorie counts will always be off by a bit up and down between two of the same.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If anyone is familiar with Feingold, it's a group that believes artificial dyes, preservatives, and flavors are bad for you. OK, whether or not you eat that way personally, it's reasonable to avoid that stuff if you want to, right?

Well, labeling lawsa are awful. If bread is put into a bread bag that has been sprayed with preservatives, it's not an "ingredient" in the bread and won't be on the nutrition label. That kind of thing is insane and should not be allowed.

Same with stuff like relabeled HFCS. Finally most people are educated about what it is (whether they choose to eat it or not) and now it's called something else! It'll be years/decades before the uninformed/uneducated understand it, then they'll change it again.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Yup, accurate ones too.

So much this. Regardless of chain or not. They know what they're putting in it shouldn't be that hard. And let's be honest, if they had to start reporting calorie counts and sodium content a lot of places would stop the abuse of butter and salt in their recipes.

Most restaurants don't use butter in their recipes...............they use cheap seed oils such as canola, corn, soy, etc.

There is nothing wrong with butter in the least.

I was referring to quantities used. There is such thing as too much butter.

Restaurants don't use real butter and very few chain restaurants actually do cooking. Most of the crap they serve is either frozen or canned. The only butter might be on the potato they bring to you and maybe a bit for your bread at the table.

Your ignorance of the restaurant industry is outstanding

chef of 10 ten years.. um restaurants use 100% butter in fact there is ALWAYS a pot of clarified butter/ghee on the stove for all cooking purposes and thats been in EVERY SINGLE restaurant and catering business i worked for. Please dont speak on things you know nothing about.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

So much this. Regardless of chain or not. They know what they're putting in it shouldn't be that hard. And let's be honest, if they had to start reporting calorie counts and sodium content a lot of places would stop the abuse of butter and salt in their recipes.

Most restaurants don't use butter in their recipes...............they use cheap seed oils such as canola, corn, soy, etc.

There is nothing wrong with butter in the least.

I was referring to quantities used. There is such thing as too much butter.

Restaurants don't use real butter and very few chain restaurants actually do cooking. Most of the crap they serve is either frozen or canned. The only butter might be on the potato they bring to you and maybe a bit for your bread at the table.
    As someone who has spent decades in the restaurant business, I can quite honestly say that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Not that you had much credibility before, but at least now I know for a fact that you just completely make up any lies you can to try and push your own misguided agenda.

My sister works in the restaurant industry as a general manager and has worked at a variety of different types of restaurants and she has told our family what that food is really like in the chain restaurants.

They use seed oils to cook with and most of that food is NOT fresh cooked, but rather warmed up from its frozen state. She has said about the only things that are actually cooked are steaks, burgers and some chicken. Its not cooked from scratch in the kitchens of those restaurants.

I do know what I am talking about.

Sounds to me like your sister is a lousy restaurant manager.

I don't think that equals "most restaurants don't cook food."

My sister is a fantastic restaurant manager and actually when she went to work at a different restaurant many of the employees also requested to go that restaurant or quit all together.

They don't cook most of the food. Its re-heated crap. This is why we rarely eat out any more.

There are plenty of people that work in the restaurant industry that corroborates what she is the rest of us family members also.

also in the 10 years ive been a chef, have a degree in culinary arts, culinary operations, a bachelors in restaurant management, and currently in the process of my masters in nutrition i have NEVER ONCE reheated or used frozen food. "Most" restaurants are NOT olive garden or chilis.