Losing weight after 40

Options
1235»

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    As I scan through some of the posts, I see there are a lot of people who have the same difficulty as I do. I am 43 and it seems like I can gain 10 pounds just with a simple look at a cookie but it takes all kinds of grueling leaps and bounds and jumping through hoops to lose just 1. Looking for support as I start one more journey toward healthy weight.

I've lost 119lbs and I am past 40. You can do it too unless you have an underlying medical condition that needs to get checked out. But even so, you can still lose weight.

Yes, it does come back on very, very easily. This is the biggest commitment I've made in my life...other than being a parent.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with everyone on the thread. I'm soon to be 43 and have been struggling to get the extra 50 pounds off for the last year plus. Anyone that want's to add me please feel free to do so and maybe we can all get rid of the extra flub together.
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been working/eating better for a year and half and have only lost 24lbs. I have to work very hard to lose any weight. Just eating less calories doesn't seem to do much for me. I'm 41 and in my 20s I didn't have this problem. It's a daily struggle. I finally think I'm finding the right combination. I do hour workouts 5/6 days a week and stay around 1500 calories.

I will say I do find it discouraging when I see how fast some people lose (especially guys), but my doctor told me this last physical that she only recommends 2lbs a month, so I'm on track for that (and supposedly more likely to keep it off) I hope so.

I have to keep reminding myself it's a long term change and not a diet.

I found an exercise I love (jazzercise) and that is making a huge difference for me. Even though I'm not losing weight quickly, I am toning up a lot more than I was.
  • snowangel43
    snowangel43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 43 as well....I know exactly how you feel. I'm hypothyroid so that makes it even more difficult too!
    Best of luck!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been working/eating better for a year and half and have only lost 24lbs. I have to work very hard to lose any weight. Just eating less calories doesn't seem to do much for me. I'm 41 and in my 20s I didn't have this problem. It's a daily struggle. I finally think I'm finding the right combination. I do hour workouts 5/6 days a week and stay around 1500 calories.

I will say I do find it discouraging when I see how fast some people lose (especially guys), but my doctor told me this last physical that she only recommends 2lbs a month, so I'm on track for that (and supposedly more likely to keep it off) I hope so.

I found an exercise I love (jazzercise) and that is making a huge difference for me. Even though I'm not losing weight quickly, I am toning up a lot more than I was.

Are your macros set right?? Are you tracking sugar?? These are KEY to weight loss not the amount of calories.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As I scan through some of the posts, I see there are a lot of people who have the same difficulty as I do. I am 43 and it seems like I can gain 10 pounds just with a simple look at a cookie but it takes all kinds of grueling leaps and bounds and jumping through hoops to lose just 1. Looking for support as I start one more journey toward healthy weight.

Are your macros set correct and are you tracking sugar??? Critical for weight loss!!!!!!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I am 42 - almost 43..and my body is transforming back into shape. It didn't transform as easily as it did when I was 25, that's for sure -- but through good nutrition (finally got that right! You can't out-exercise a bad diet) and regular exercise I am well on my way to a fabulous body after 40. It can be done! Day by day, choice by choice!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    As you age, you simply aren't as active when you were younger. And when you sit around, it is easy to graze

The above is so true! When I was in my 20's I went to work came home changed & out with friends. Sometimes I would forget to eat, having so much fun. Now that I'm in my 50's, when my husband asks "What are we doing tonight?" he's really asking "What are we eating tonight?" Another thing when you are older - there's more wine to drink! Good luck to ya! You can do anything you set your mind to! :flowerforyou:
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    My husband is 55 and did 1000 ft on the treadmill last night. He has severe arthritis in his knee and can't do a fast pace, so he put the incline on ten and walked slow. He did forty five minutes on the treadmil after riding the stationary bike. If you really want to stay healthy or get healthy it can be done. Just because we are older doesn't mean we have to be sedentary. I am 13 years younger than him and am so proud that he isn't using his age as an excuse to not stay active.
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! And I *just* turned 40 two months ago. Already, I'm seeing that refined carbs in particular, are doing a number on me. I have belly fat where I've never had belly fat before even while overweight. Very frustrating, but I'm not giving up and giving in.

I've determined that a low carb (i.e. cutting out as much as possible wheat and other grains, sugar, etc.) diet with lots of vegetables and lean protein is gonna be the way to go. Especially since diabetes runs in my family, this new belly fat does not bode well at all.

It sucks. It's harder. But this is the wake-up call we need to stop cheating on our diet and cheating on ourselves. I'm not talking about the rare occasion of indulging in a small something we crave, but about backsliding into old habits.

We can do this!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!

Agreed...it can be done.
  • White103
    Options
    I am 46 and for me I do have to work out. really do like myfitnesspal as I can put in my work outs and food - stay in my 1200 cals I keep losing as long as I work out. I use video taps from Beach Body- Program that I am working on now is Focus T25. 25 mins a day. I really notice the difference. Working at it for 7 weeks and down 13 pounds. I also do some other excises as well- like snowing shoeing, skating. Those are just things I like to do in my spare time.

Key for me was keeping track of my food- and I do have a cookie or chocolate everyone once in a while, I just fit it within my cal intake.
    Cheers
    Alice
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Are your macros set right?? Are you tracking sugar?? These are KEY to weight loss not the amount of calories.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

The only key to weight loss is calories.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I will be 50 this October and I feel like I will be turning 60 with all this extra weight. Keep your eye on the prize and keep pushing. You may have to tweek one thing or another. Its all about balance. U GOT THIS!!!