What are they putting in our food?!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    What if I told you...everything is made up of chemicals?

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg

*head aspoldes*
  • ggilbert95
    ggilbert95 Posts: 33 Member
    This is why there are labels on food packages. Read them.

:D Exactly!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

So buying fresh meat, fruit and veg at the supermarket and eating a balance diet is impossible if you buy it all at the supermarket?

Again sorry but I believe that to be utter nonsense.

And yes there is a difference taste wise between freshly picked veg/fruit and some of the supermarket fruit/veg. But to say that supermarket foods are so lacking that we are all deficient in macronutrients is rubbish.

Well, studies seem to believe otherwise. But I'm sure those studies, since they go against your beliefs, are just hogwash, and nonsense, and probably cost money, so you have to pay for a book or a publication to read about em, so are therefore bunk.

Right?

Iodine, D, B12, iron, suflur, and more.

Research deficiency in any of those.

Is Scientific American a good enough source for you?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

If anything, iodine deficiencies are less common today in America than in the '50s. I'd think it would be very difficult to assign deficiencies of these elects to be either primarily the responsibility of supermarket food nor is it difficult to have sufficient of each of these from that type of food.

And no Scientific America, although an enjoyable read, is not a good source.
    Always go to the source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15637215

Which states a decline in some micro nutrients (and none in many), not that you will have a deficiency from eating from these sources. Sorry.

Yup. Even if there is a decline in the micronutrient content of a fruit or vegetable, it doesn't necessarily translate into not getting enough of it.

It's difficult to do so.

Not impossible, clearly.. but, well.. read:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/July/Getting-your-vitamins-and-minerals-through-diet

Can it be done? Sure. (as long as you supplement with D).

are MOST people going to be able to manage to do it, with no supplementation? Unlikely.

Well, if that is the case, then take a daily multivitamin. Problem solved.

Amusingly the article is actually about the ineffectiveness of supplements and that you can get all you need via your diet.

:laugh: I didn't even read the article. And yeah, most multis are rather ineffective. The better ones are ones that you need to take a few times per day.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Amusingly the article is actually about the ineffectiveness of supplements and that you can get all you need via your diet.

No, it's not.

and if you want to eat that "sample diet" every day, f'n go nuts.

I know I don't keep most of that stuff around the house, nor do I have the time or the money to prepare it daily.

WIld caught salmon? Papaya? Kiwi? Bok Choy and edamame?

If you have that laying around, more power to you.

Course, you can also get all your nutritional needs met by McDonalds.. so why even cook food at home? Just eat mcdonalds. You'll be FINE!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

So buying fresh meat, fruit and veg at the supermarket and eating a balance diet is impossible if you buy it all at the supermarket?

Again sorry but I believe that to be utter nonsense.

And yes there is a difference taste wise between freshly picked veg/fruit and some of the supermarket fruit/veg. But to say that supermarket foods are so lacking that we are all deficient in macronutrients is rubbish.

Well, studies seem to believe otherwise. But I'm sure those studies, since they go against your beliefs, are just hogwash, and nonsense, and probably cost money, so you have to pay for a book or a publication to read about em, so are therefore bunk.

Right?

Research deficiency in any of those.

Is Scientific American a good enough source for you?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

If anything, iodine deficiencies are less common today in America than in the '50s. I'd think it would be very difficult to assign deficiencies of these elects to be either primarily the responsibility of supermarket food nor is it difficult to have sufficient of each of these from that type of food.

And no Scientific America, although an enjoyable read, is not a good source.
    Always go to the source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15637215

Which states a decline in some micro nutrients (and none in many), not that you will have a deficiency from eating from these sources. Sorry.

Yup. Even if there is a decline in the micronutrient content of a fruit or vegetable, it doesn't necessarily translate into not getting enough of it.

It's difficult to do so.

Not impossible, clearly.. but, well.. read:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/July/Getting-your-vitamins-and-minerals-through-diet

Can it be done? Sure. (as long as you supplement with D).

are MOST people going to be able to manage to do it, with no supplementation? Unlikely.

Do you even read the links you post. It says you can do it and even gives a sample menu. And careful planning =\= difficult.

It even shows how to do it on a 1200 cal a day diet.

Not only that but the article does not in any way criticize supermarket food.

Moving goal posts.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

No, it's not.

I know I don't keep most of that stuff around the house, nor do I have the time or the money to prepare it daily.

Course, you can also get all your nutritional needs met by McDonalds.. so why even cook food at home? Just eat mcdonalds. You'll be FINE!

You're so funny. I can get all that food at my supermarket.

Sadly I have to go to bed, feel free to re-read the article you posted and then change your story. :drinker:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

No, it's not.

I do that when I'm working out of town on two week trips.

And wild caught salmon, papaya, kiwi, bok choy, and edamame are common items in the grocery store...so I don't understand why you couldn't have that laying around. :huh:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    This is why there are labels on food packages. Read them.

So much this.

Though, honestly, I don't panic about food. If you buy something premade that you did not make yourself... well, you get what you pay for.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I'm not saying that some foods are not bad for you separate from how much you consume. I know I feel like crap after eating salty popcorn while watching a movie. I'm just saying that there's a trend of worrying about things that don't need to be worried about.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I'm not saying that some foods are not bad for you separate from how much you consume. I know I feel like crap after eating salty popcorn while watching a movie. I'm just saying that there's a trend of worrying about things that don't need to be worried about.

What was the movie?
    When I saw Sophie's Choice, I felt like crap for a month.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member

No, it's not.

I can get all of those things from my supermarket. Of course, it would probably kill me on account of being devoid of nutrients.

typo edit
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

I'm a vegetarian (which means it is more difficult for me to get adequate iron and B12, specifically) and I get most of my food from the supermarket. Yet, according to my lab workups, I am deficient in none of those, nor any other micronutrient.

In face, I'm very, very healthy by all major markers.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member

No, it's not.

Okay, great snarky comment. Maybe people eat at fast food places because they travel for work, and have limited options.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

No, it's not.

I do that when I'm working out of town on two week trips.

And wild caught salmon, papaya, kiwi, bok choy, and edamame are common items in the grocery store...so I don't understand why you couldn't have that laying around. :huh:

I actually had wild caught salmon and bok choy (I love bok choy. Love!) this week. And my husband pounds edamame by...Well the pound.

We buy all of that at the supermarket.
  • _Terrapin_
    Yep, bok choy is pretty good and we get at the CSA in the summer/fall and the supermarket in the other months. Inexpensive and easy to use.
  • _Terrapin_
    While this "debate" between scientists and people who actually read their studies vs. the tinfoil hat crowd is entertaining, I have just discovered that I am low on beer and kickoff is fast approaching.

Off to the store and then to eat some vitamin sucking veggies and lots of chemical laden pork . . .

Get some bok choy too; oh I have a few beers here; VIctory, Troegs, Sierra, Sam Adams....yes liquid bread is being consumed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

No, it's not.

What are you even on about?

What exact point are you trying to make throughout this thread? You keep making assertions and when ask to support them you cite articles that in no way make any point you are alluding to and in fact refute it. Then you make done other diatribe that is not even on topic or even comprehensible.

And what was that about a straw man?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Yep, bok choy is pretty good and we get at the CSA in the summer/fall and the supermarket in the other months. Inexpensive and easy to use.

Seriously. A little garlic, a little ginger, a little oil and bam, you've got yourself some delicious bok choy for basically no work at all.

And now I want some. Great.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Put the tin foil hats away and just focus on tracking your food and exercising. People get caught up in this nonsense as a way to creatively avoid doing the hard work.

But it still sucks if people let's say buy so called " Healthy " natural fruit cereal, spend their hard earned money on it to find out that it does not even have fruit or anything natural derived from fruit.
    Here in Mexico ( and I admit we are in some things a light year or two behind other countries ) a product must say in fairly large ( easily legible size ) the word " type " or " style ....as in " pomegranate &cranberry type flavor " and most people know that it means that there is nothing natural. For example, for the last few years almost all instant chocolate-milk drinks are now labelled as " chocolate milk type " drink, because many of them have neither real milk, nor real chocolate.
    The sad thing is, that many people still don't read labels........because they can't read.
  • _Terrapin_

Seriously. A little garlic, a little ginger, a little oil and bam, you've got yourself some delicious bok choy for basically no work at all.

And now I want some. Great.

A little soy sauce and I'm with you; and if I have it, fresh ginger ideally. Yes, now I want sushi, bok choy', and some baby eggplant with brown sugar....dat gum it.