I am becoming judgemental

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I don't lecture people about their food choices but I do notice when people are eating (or buying at the grocery store) nothing but junk and think "if only they knew...". One day I was behind a woman at the grocery store (an extreme couponer) that was buying nothing but junk (ice cream, chips, frozen dinners, etc.) and I silently judged. On a side note... I have a lot of "extreme couponer" friends and while they're talking about their haul I just think about how I wouldn't benefit from couponing because you can't buy lean meats and produce with coupons. I buy very little pre-packaged stuff so no couponing for me. *sigh*

I just chalk it up to ignorance. Most of those people just don't realize what they're doing wrong and how much better they would feel and how much healthier they would be if they ate better. For instance, I haven't had health insurance in YEARS because my hubby's and my employers don't offer it and its too expensive to fit in our budget. But, neither of us get sick because we take good care of ourselves.

No one gets sick or hurt until they get sick or hurt.

You can afford health insurance. It might make it so you have to give up some luxuries you enjoy like cable TV and eating out or whatever. The ACA was specifically designed to force people like you to pay into the system.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I don't lecture people about their food choices but I do notice when people are eating (or buying at the grocery store) nothing but junk and think "if only they knew...". One day I was behind a woman at the grocery store (an extreme couponer) that was buying nothing but junk (ice cream, chips, frozen dinners, etc.) and I silently judged. On a side note... I have a lot of "extreme couponer" friends and while they're talking about their haul I just think about how I wouldn't benefit from couponing because you can't buy lean meats and produce with coupons. I buy very little pre-packaged stuff so no couponing for me. *sigh*

I just chalk it up to ignorance. Most of those people just don't realize what they're doing wrong and how much better they would feel and how much healthier they would be if they ate better. For instance, I haven't had health insurance in YEARS because my hubby's and my employers don't offer it and its too expensive to fit in our budget. But, neither of us get sick because we take good care of ourselves.

welll... be careful with that one. I take very good care of myself. However, I was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor last May, after a grand mal seizure at work. I had a craniotomy with tumor resection in July, and now I get to have MRIs every 3-6 months until it starts to grow back, at which time I'll get to start radiation therapy.
    Day of seizure: CT scan, MRI, ambulance trip to larger hospital, MRI, overnight stay, neuro consult: $15,000
    Neuro-oncologist consult later that week: $400
    2nd opinion NO consult, neurosurgical consult 2 weeks later: $700
    Functional MRI, 9 July: $7,000
    Pre-op consult: $375
    Craniotomy with tumor resection July 11: $75,000
    MRI with contrast October: $6500
    MRI with contrast January: $6500
    25 pills/day: roughly $700 month

And my next MRI is scheduled for July.
    When I have radiation it will cost roughly $35,000.

Don't think not having insurance is okay just because you take good care of yourself.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

You can afford health insurance. It might make it so you have to give up some luxuries you enjoy like cable TV and eating out or whatever. The ACA was specifically designed to force people like you to pay into the system.

This is very true. You could be in a car accident any time. I hope you never get behind me when I am shopping. I have one store where I only buy a cart full of meat. Then on to the next store that carries the veggies/fruits we like. Then on to the dollar store for all our paper products. My point is: You can't judge a diet by the grocery cart.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Walking through the office this morning at 8:26 am, I have seen people eating their lunch, chips and peanut butter cups. And all I can think is unbelievable! I am by no means perfect, not even close. But, I am becoming so much more aware of what I am eating and the nutritional value that I am judging other peoples habits.

Being aware of what you eat is super cool. It's a challenge, and you should be congratulated. Paying attention to what other people eat is ****ty, save very very specific circumstances.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

This is very true. You could be in a car accident any time. I hope you never get behind me when I am shopping. I have one store where I only buy a cart full of meat. Then on to the next store that carries the veggies/fruits we like. Then on to the dollar store for all our paper products. My point is: You can't judge a diet by the grocery cart.

Exactly.

Ive gone into a store specifically for ice cream because they had a good sale.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Some people can smoke and make ''poor'' food choices their entire life and never get so much as a cough - it really can be the luck of the draw. Although of course it is always better to eat well.
    This coming from someone who just had her second chocolate filled muffin of the week.

I personally think there's no point in judging others - until the day comes that their food choices affect your body they can do what they want with their money.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Yep. Or in my case, I just had hip surgery to shave down a bone spur and repair a torn labrum (all do to 20+ years of my healthy active lifestyle). Glad I had my insurance...
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Walking through the office this morning at 8:26 am, I have seen people eating their lunch, chips and peanut butter cups. And all I can think is unbelievable! I am by no means perfect, not even close. But, I am becoming so much more aware of what I am eating and the nutritional value that I am judging other peoples habits.

Nothing to feel bad about as long as you keep it to yourself. Its all good.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd probably judge me pretty hard for my dinner at McDonalds last night then, right? Or my lunch of pizza the day before that? Or the large amounts of liquor I consumed the night before that? Too bad I really don't care if others judge me. I'm reaching my health and fitness goals while ENJOYING my life, which is pretty awesome.

Not to mention that people will judge no matter what. People on this thread say they judge people for having unhealthy grocery carts. Well, I've had people act snooty and scoff at my grocery cart full of produce and unprocessed foods, too.

The fact is, unless you know someone VERY well, you don't know crap about their true health or lifestyle. You can't make judgments about people based on what you see them eat or do occasionally. Just mind your own business and everyone will be a bit happier, k?
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

My husband and I don't get sick either but we still have insurance. We have an extremely high deductible -- $10,000 -- but it's for catastrophic purposes only. If we have to go to the doctor for something minor we go to the local after hours clinic and we pay cash. We let the health care providers know up front that we don't have insurance and they understand our not wanting to use our insurance for something minor. They are more than happy to negotiate a cash price.

ETA: And you better not be behind me when I go to the store when I'm starving. That's when I buy all the good stuff! :laugh:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You can't make judgments about people based on what you see them eat or do occasionally.

Exactly... if you saw me on a saturday night you would chalk me up to the genetically lucky. You would say, "where does he put it all?" You would not see all the effort that goes into to hitting macros, staying within TDEE, the days training in the gym and so on and so forth.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

My grocery trip this morning-
    chips
    chip dip
    Manwich sauce (big can)
    2 cases of diet pop
    package of cookies
    hamburger buns

Because tonight I'm having a bunch of people over to eat before a hockey game. Menu-
    sloppy joes (using local, grass fed beef)
    chips and dip
    diet pop for adults/milk for kids (one daughter will have almond milk because she's lactose intolerant)
    fruit salad with grapes, apples and bananas
    carrots
    cookies for dessert

I already had everything else at home.

Yeah, truly horrible :tongue:
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired of having to hear my coworkers talk about needing to lose weight and doing everything to sabatoge that. And every so often one of them starts with the pink drink or goes on about the latest sugar substitute they found or one of so many "shortcuts" to losing weight. I keep my mouth shut. I don't judge them. I just keep doing what I'm doing, knowing it's better than what I was doing before. And sometimes when I see someone eating pastries at work (like my husband who can afford to), I'm a little envious. Then I'm thankful that I have gotten to a point where I can say no. And later when I'm sitting at home in my pj's and delicious bowl of ice cream, I'm thankful I didn't waste the calories on some half decent donut during a meeting.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    So a lot of the comments on here are "You don't know what kind of diet these people really have." I work in a small office. I have conversations with my coworkers about what they eat. I see them go through fad diets and Weight Watchers phases, and I see them fall off the wagon over and over again in big drastic gain-10-lbs-a-year kind of ways. I grew up seeing the same thing with my parents. I see the same thing with my friends and their families. I DO know that them consuming an entire bag of M&Ms and washing it down with a 64oz coke every single day is not in the plan for a life of healthiness, and that's why sometimes it's hard not to judge.

When I started getting serious here a couple of years ago, my coworkers went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch, and I stayed at the office and ate my salad. My boss came back and told me I should have gone with them, they went somewhere healthy. The reaction I kept to myself (but shared with MFP and got told off) was "No, you didn't, it's fast food." There were two things going on here that made me think this, but I couldn't articulate well yet : 1) While I could have fit fast food into my calories, it doesn't fill me up. It doesn't make me feel good. It's very rare I want it, and I'd much rather have my nutrient packed, protein loaded salad than a greasy grilled chicken breast or a pile of iceberg lettuce with a chewy chicken strips on top. 2) Just because there were "healthy" options at Chick-Fil-A doesn't mean my coworkers ordered them. My boss had a bunch of fried chicken for lunch and a cheese-laden enchilada for dinner. At the time, this HORRIFIED me. But like Jonnythan said, it's because I was new to this. It's because I thought I knew better than they did. It's because I thought my choices were superior because they made me feel physically better. And honestly, it's because I wanted them to all eat like I was eating so I wouldn't think about all the super tasty food I was passing up.

A couple of years later, I know that their choices are their choices. Most of these people don't really care about being healthy. It's not a passion of theirs to be fit, fuel their bodies with what their bodies need and have "junk" calories in moderation, and continuously learn about fitness and nutrition, and that's ok - they're passionate about other things. They're in different places in their lives. I've also learned that I can have a lot more "junk" than I originally thought I could, and ice cream and chocolate and copious amounts of wine have found a place as a major food group in my diet. (Side note: ice cream is totally the best thing for when you're a little low on protein and fat at the end of the day and I hate myself for cutting it out for 6 months of my life.) I've accepted that I'll do me and they'll do them. So yeah, you'll go through that phase of judgment. Most of us have. But then you'll get over it, you'll focus on you, and everyone will be happy. But also like others have said, keep mean thoughts to yourself. No one needs to FEEL judged for their food and lifestyle choices.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    People judge others ALL THE TIME. It's totally normal human nature. Right now there's a bunch of people sitting at their computers judging you for being judgey.

What matters is that you keep your judgement to yourself and let them choose their own path. If they ask for advice, offer them what you can with kindness.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've accepted that I'll do me and they'll do them. So yeah, you'll go through that phase of judgment. Most of us have. But then you'll get over it, you'll focus on you, and everyone will be happy. But also like others have said, keep mean thoughts to yourself. No one needs to FEEL judged for their food and lifestyle choices.

Yes :smile:
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    BTW, my plan for dinner is a double cheeseburger from Five Guys followed by a Butterfinger. Go ahead and judge me.

No fries? How can you have a burger and no fries?

(Never had a Five Guys burger. I heard they are to DIE for).

I recently tried Five Guys because I heard they were so good. For all the calories in one of their burgers I was hoping to be blown away but I only came away totally disappointed because it was mediocre at best. I never ordered fries but tried one of my sisters... again, disappointing. I can make better homemade burgers and tasty potato wedges at home. But to each their own. My sister still raves about how good they are.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    People judge others ALL THE TIME. It's totally normal human nature. Right now there's a bunch of people sitting at their computers judging you for being judgey.

What matters is that you keep your judgement to yourself and let them choose their own path. If they ask for advice, offer them what you can with kindness.

Bingo---Post Win !
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    BTW, my plan for dinner is a double cheeseburger from Five Guys followed by a Butterfinger. Go ahead and judge me.

No fries? How can you have a burger and no fries?

(Never had a Five Guys burger. I heard they are to DIE for).

I recently tried Five Guys because I heard they were so good. For all the calories in one of their burgers I was hoping to be blown away but I only came away totally disappointed because it was mediocre at best. I never ordered fries but tried one of my sisters... again, disappointing. I can make better homemade burgers and tasty potato wedges at home. But to each their own. My sister still raves about how good they are.

I understand. I'm not a Five Guys fan, either. My husband loves it, though. Definitely depends on what you want in a burger. They're fries are good...and, I'm not even a fry kind of person.