I am becoming judgemental

Options
123457»

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    People judge others ALL THE TIME. It's totally normal human nature. Right now there's a bunch of people sitting at their computers judging you for being judgey.

What matters is that you keep your judgement to yourself and let them choose their own path. If they ask for advice, offer them what you can with kindness.

Bingo---Post Win !

Yes, people judge all the time but I think it's the superiority of the post that people are jumping on. The "OMG! It's 8:30 in the morning and you're eating THAT?!? How DISGUSTING!"

sure I'll judge people I see in the grocery store some times (I'll also look and try to figure out what the person has going on in their life like the person who buys 100 cans of cat food - crazy cat person. The guy who buys 10 Hungry Man Entrees, a case of beer and chips - bachelor) but I also judge myself when I've bought a lot of crap. Once I had a bag of chips, two bars of chocolate and a box of tampons on the belt and all I thought was "Great. Now everyone knows I am PMSing!" :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    People judge others ALL THE TIME. It's totally normal human nature. Right now there's a bunch of people sitting at their computers judging you for being judgey.

What matters is that you keep your judgement to yourself and let them choose their own path. If they ask for advice, offer them what you can with kindness.

Bingo---Post Win !

Yes, people judge all the time but I think it's the superiority of the post that people are jumping on. The "OMG! It's 8:30 in the morning and you're eating THAT?!? How DISGUSTING!"

sure I'll judge people I see in the grocery store some times (I'll also look and try to figure out what the person has going on in their life like the person who buys 100 cans of cat food - crazy cat person. The guy who buys 10 Hungry Man Entrees, a case of beer and chips - bachelor) but I also judge myself when I've bought a lot of crap. Once I had a bag of chips, two bars of chocolate and a box of tampons on the belt and all I thought was "Great. Now everyone knows I am PMSing!" :laugh:

Oof - that was me the other night - my hubs had shoulder surgery last week, and I did a late-night gas station run for an ice-cream pint, a candy bar and two bottles of Diet Dew for him. I checked out like.... ugh, looks like I am on a total PMS snack run. And not even true. I kinda wanted to tell the cashier it wasn't for me!
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options

Bingo---Post Win !

+1
    This is the best post in the entire thread.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I see fat people eating boatloads of crap and I think they're doing themselves a disservice. That's judgmental and I'm ok with that.
  • sway1080
    sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty close to what I'm going to be eating today, except my husband ate half of my chocolate almond candy bar, so I only get half :grumble:

haha ;) im eating my almost daily dairy milk bar...sooo yummy..
  • Eileentk
    Eileentk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just remember that there are few things so obnoxious as a reformed "fill in the blank". Concentrate on your own journey.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't judge unless I see someone eating like 10,000 calories and then think, "there is a reason you are big"
  • ceen43
    ceen43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Walking through the office this morning at 8:26 am, I have seen people eating their lunch, chips and peanut butter cups. And all I can think is unbelievable! I am by no means perfect, not even close. But, I am becoming so much more aware of what I am eating and the nutritional value that I am judging other peoples habits.

When my husband and I found out our son was ADHD at 4 years old, we opted to try diet changes (no artificial colors, flavors preservatives and so on). He could still eat candy and junk, as long as it didn't have these ingredients. This became a problem when going to church/Sunday school and other get togethers (birthday parties and such). Because the changes helped him and his ADHD tendencies, we continued to monitor these things the best we could. We shared with others what we were doing and to please not give our son artificial food items.
    It has been a struggle, but 9 years later we are seeing parents making similar choices for their kids!
    Moral of my long winded tale, Stick to what works for you and encourage others, without being condemning. They may eventually question you more about what you are doing and try to make similar changes!
    Keep on keepin' on!

Keep on being judgmental?

Sorry. Keep on your journey for yourself, and encourage or ignore what everyone else is doing.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't verbalize it but I totally judge my extended family. Several of my female relatives are quite overweight, and have done fad dieting (shakes, herbal stuff) to drop a few pounds in a quick and unhealthy way, only to put it all (and more) back on. Type II diabetes also runs in my family. We're of Eastern European descent so the food we eat at get-togethers, while homemade, is often very heavy, and the desserts are sometimes terrible store-bought crap. I've lost 10 pounds in the last couple of months through exercise and a calorie deficit, and a big reason why I'm doing it is because I don't want to look like them, and I don't want their health problems. It's like my future staring me in the face and I'm not going to let that happen to me.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I don't verbalize it but I totally judge my extended family. Several of my female relatives are quite overweight, and have done fad dieting (shakes, herbal stuff) to drop a few pounds in a quick and unhealthy way, only to put it all (and more) back on. Diabetes also runs in my family. We're of Eastern European descent so the food we eat at get-togethers, while homemade, is often very heavy, and the desserts are sometimes terrible store-bought crap. I've lost 10 pounds in the last couple of months through exercise and a calorie deficit, and a big reason why I'm doing it is because I don't want to look like them, and I don't want their health problems. It's like my future staring me in the face and I'm not going to let that happen to me.

The important part here is that you have reconized a problem and are taking steps to correct it. Good for you and good luck !
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Need to take of myself while I'm young'ish and still can!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Walking through the office this morning at 8:26 am, I have seen people eating their lunch, chips and peanut butter cups. And all I can think is unbelievable! I am by no means perfect, not even close. But, I am becoming so much more aware of what I am eating and the nutritional value that I am judging other peoples habits.

Maybe you should keep in mind that you didn't always make wise choices either...or you wouldn't have almost a hundred pounds to lose. You also wouldn't have lost it before and gained it back.

If you lose your weight...and if they should ask you how you did it...then share that awareness that you now have...other than that...it is truly none of your business what someone else eats.

Overweight people don't like being judged upon their weight and what they eat...so those same overweight people shouldn't judge others.

At least that is how I think it should work.

I started out obese...I still have 15lbs to go before I am considered just overweight...I have no room to judge others on how they eat.

Me...I have to stay out of the aisle at the grocery store where they stock those peanut butter M&Ms...I can't just eat ONE!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I do admit though, there are times that I feel similarly to what the OP posted...mostly on facebook when friends post about breakfast at Panera, lunch at Applebees, dinner from Pizza Hut, and a frozen custard snack...in one day. It's almost impossible not to mentally tally up the NI and calories of that ;-) And of course it's usually from someone who often talks about weight loss.

That is different though. I took it as she's just walking around and seeing people eat these things with their lunch and that it's not something they do all day long.

It really is annoying though regardless of whether or not you eat healthy when people judge you on what you eat. When I worked in an office people would go ape if they saw me eating a piece of candy or God forbid I got a basket of fries for lunch. I felt like I was a monkey in the zoo the way they swarmed around my cubicle watching me eat and exclaiming over the fact that I ate "bad" food.

I think you misunderstood, it is 8:30 in the morning, not lunch time.

A couple of nights ago...I had bacon and eggs for dinner. Sometimes I have lunch for breakfast.

There is not rule about when you can eat what...at least not a rule that applies to everyone.

If I had peanut butter M&Ms...I would eat them for breakfast...lunch...dinner...and then especially for my snacks.

That's why I don't buy them...