A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Wait, I come back to see where this has gone, and apparently the OP wasn't joking?

Man...

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    because I thought if I ate HEALTHY calories as he's saying then I could eat a lot more calories.. but if its calories in vs out as you have all jumped the *kitten* all ove rme about then I will continue to do what im doing. was just trying to share something I thought was interesting. will never happen again

You CAN eat more calories and still lose weight. In fact you should. It IS calories in vs. calories out. Your "calories out" are significantly higher than 900.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    because I thought if I ate HEALTHY calories as he's saying then I could eat a lot more calories.. but if its calories in vs out as you have all jumped the *kitten* all ove rme about then I will continue to do what im doing. was just trying to share something I thought was interesting. will never happen again

Oh. You were serious. :indifferent:

34hxl01.jpg

JLaw <3
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Oh my... yeah sure you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. Live on McDonalds or Oreo's or whatever.
    Personally I would rather eat a lot of really good (real) food all day long than vs. starve myself all day and eat a pizza at night to stay within my calorie range :smile:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    For serious, eat more food. Your aversion to eating enough when you're doing cardio/weight lifting pretty much every day of the week is genuinely concerning.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    this is good news for me since I only eat 900 calories a day

Hmm...Is this doctor prescribed and supervised? If not, one thing that you should note is that calorie is a unit of energy, and you need a minimum AVERAGE number of calories for your brain and body to function.

If you're absolutely serious about your intake, and it's not doctor prescribed, then you're doing "it" wrong.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Personally I would rather eat a lot of really good (real) food all day long than vs. starve myself all day and eat a pizza at night to stay within my calorie range :smile:

Are those the only options? What about eating "real" food all day and eating the pizza at night and staying within your calorie range anyway?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    12-ppm.jpg
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Oh my... yeah sure you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. Live on McDonalds or Oreo's or whatever.

Right. Because everyone saying they eat these things don't pay attention to nutrition. If you can't fit those things into your day and have a balanced diet, maybe you should reconsider your calorie goal or what food you choose in terms of it being what it is....food.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Um.... well.....
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

A great article.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.

Look at my pics. At my week 1 and current. Tell me my body comp is the same. This is the result of 1700 -2000 calories worth of "junk" in moderation. That means ice cream every night, mcdonalds, pizza. Marcos are my only focus. Not trivial labels. And yes, calories matter
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

A great article.

Oh, thank god, another noob to tell us all why we haven't lost weight the healthy way eating regular foods in moderation, and that these ridiculous articles aren't just full of crap. Please read the whole thread and see how it has already been debunked with reality. It is actually possible to lose weight eating just junk food in a calorie deficit, by the way. A caloire really is just a calorie.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

A great article.

It appears that she hasn't consistently followed ANY diet from the evidence from her other posts? She's all over the board.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

A great article.

I lost mine by eating a balanced diet that included everything I have always eaten, so yes.
  • davenporter
    davenporter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's true that high GI carbs have a different effect on your feelings of hunger, etc. But the reality is that if you can "gut it out" and endure the sugar crash that comes later, not adding any extra calories, the "Calories in, Calories out" system works no matter where those calories come from.

Personally I aim for 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs (in terms of caloric intake) and that helps to stave off my hunger, so that I'm not too tempted to go overboard by sugar crashes.

Fast food really isn't that bad as it's usually high in protein and fat. It's the sugar that really messes up your body. So long as you're active, sodium won't hurt you either -- in fact, it may give your workouts a boost!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

You can eat a lot more FOOD if you are eating "healthy" (whatever that means - presumably less calorie dense and more micronutrient dense) .. but not more calories. Calories in v. calories out still matters.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was mind blown when I learned this last week. Thankfully we had a guest speaker come into my office and explain it to me. I learned some more stuff too. You can learn about it here.......and ignore the haters.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1190193-guest-speaker-today-at-my-work-what-i-learned
    total bs, I guessing this was a joke post? Zero science to bck any of that up
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Oh. You were serious. :indifferent:

34hxl01.jpg
    Best reaction gif