A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Is this really a thread of people saying the same thing but trying to argue about how the other side is wrong?

No. It isn't. It's a thread about how misleading it is to offer one trite line with no context to people who may be looking for advice on how to lose weight and then going Buddy Rich if someone suggests a salad every third Tuesday couldn't hurt.

?

Buddy Rich was known, especially in his later years, for having a bit of a temper and going pretty crazy on his band. I'd link to a video, but his language is more than slightly inappropriate.

Oh, thanks for the explanation.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Is this really a thread of people saying the same thing but trying to argue about how the other side is wrong?

No, it's a thread that originally irritated some folks that follow the MFP plan (apparently a cult) when the OP posted an article that wanted to disprove what science says works. Then there was a bunch of banter between folks. Some scientific articles were posted. IIFYM prevailed, and left some people butt hurt that everyone doesn't explain the way it works, even though that wasn't the point from the OP to begin with. Nevermind that fact that you can do a search for related posts where people do ask for advice, and plenty of people give it. Now people just want to have the last word.

The op didn't post it to disprove it. They posted it because it was interesting.

And if you want to be the bigger man then don't post again on this thread. That will be proof you not one of the people who need the last word.:wink:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

No, it's a thread that originally irritated some folks that follow the MFP plan (apparently a cult) when the OP posted an article that wanted to disprove what science says works. Then there was a bunch of banter between folks. Some scientific articles were posted. IIFYM prevailed, and left some people butt hurt that everyone doesn't explain the way it works, even though that wasn't the point from the OP to begin with. Nevermind that fact that you can do a search for related posts where people do ask for advice, and plenty of people give it. Now people just want to have the last word.

...Like you. Apparently.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

...Like you. Apparently.

Me - I always want the last word.

At least I admit it!:smile:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

...Like you. Apparently.

:laugh:

And I think I'm like a cult, within a cult :tongue:
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

And as long as I'm getting the last word - That's a load of crap. IIFYM is NOT "a calorie is a calorie". Do I need to pull a bunch more quotes that didn't say a damned thing about IIFYM? If it said that, I would have no issue with it. In fact THAT is what I'm asking people to say. Not just "eat whatever you want". "You can lose weight eating only Twinkies" is NOT IIFYM. It flippin' doesn't FYM! You just like to argue. Fine. I'm up for a challenge. Say what you mean. Don't just just leave it at one misleading phrase.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

...Like you. Apparently.

:laugh:

And I think I'm like a cult, within a cult :tongue:

You probably are:happy:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

The op didn't post it to disprove it. They posted it because it was interesting.

And if you want to be the bigger man then don't post again on this thread. That will be proof you not one of the people who need the last word.:wink:

You are right. Did that feel good? The OP didn't disprove anything. She presented an article that was supposed to "prove" that a calorie is NOT a calorie. She absolutely didn't prove that. You are 100% correct!

And I never said I was the bigger man. My goal is to be the smaller man. That's why I'm here. :)
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

You are right (did that feel good)? The OP didn't disprove anything. She presented an article that was supposed to "prove" that a calorie is NOT a calorie. She absolutely didn't prove that. You are 100% correct!

And I never said I was the bigger man. My goal is to be the smaller man. That's why I'm here. :)

That's what she said.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

And as long as I'm getting the last word - That's a load of crap. IIFYM is NOT "a calorie is a calorie". Do I need to pull a bunch more quotes that didn't say a damned thing about IIFYM? If it said that, I would have no issue with it. In fact THAT is what I'm asking people to say. Not just "eat whatever you want". "You can lose weight eating only Twinkies" is NOT IIFYM. It flippin' doesn't FYM! You just like to argue. Fine. I'm up for a challenge. Say what you mean. Don't just just leave it at one misleading phrase.

I knew there was a reason I liked you!

I think in my previous threads I've been pretty clear about where I'm coming from. All weight lose is not created equal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You can lose weight eating just Twinkies. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight. A calorie is still just a calorie despite all the arguing.

Like I said, there are plenty of threads where people ask for advice and they get it. May be crude, it may be harsh, it may be nice, but they get. From what I remember, the first few posts on the first OP was criticizing the article for not having any science to back it up. It wasn't till someone came in and said you had to eat low carb or something when the debating started.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You are right. Did that feel good? The OP didn't disprove anything. She presented an article that was supposed to "prove" that a calorie is NOT a calorie. She absolutely didn't prove that. You are 100% correct!

I'm over the novelty feeling from being right (it gets the norm after a while).

Seriously there was no pun intended by being the bigger man.

Catch you on another thread no doubt.

Keep up the good work.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You can lose weight eating just Twinkies. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight. A calorie is still just a calorie despite all the arguing.

Like I said, there are plenty of threads where people ask for advice and they get it. May be crude, it may be harsh, it may be nice, but they get. From what I remember, the first few posts on the first OP was criticizing the article for not having any science to back it up. It wasn't till someone came in and said you had to eat low carb or something when the debating started.

No the original op thought the article was (in her words) Awsome.

It's was then the supportive MFP community waded in on the first few post and delivered the gut punch.

Way to go support system.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

It's was then the supportive MFP community waded in on the first few post and delivered the gut punch.

I don't know about you, but I would rather support systems tell me the truth, rather than just blindly nod to any any silliness I blather.

Sheesh, what a white knight. smh
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Calorie deficit plus exercise equals weight lose.

I suppose what we're not agreeing on is where that weight lose is coming from.

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

PS I admit I am dogmatic...don't hate me I was suppose to be a lawyer...:wink:

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

It actually really isn't...not if one's goal is purely to lose weight.

Now if one wants to lose weight AND be fit...that's a whole other story.

You'd be surprised by how many people just want to lose weight and couldn't give a fart about fitness.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Here's the thing. No. *I* can't. And I bet YOU can't either. For all the talk about it, why isn't anyone doing it? I wouldn't make it through one day. If I had the kind of will power that would take I wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. And didn't you just say IIFYM?
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

You'd be surprised by how many people just want to lose weight and couldn't give a fart about fitness.

Fit? That's not what this web site is about! That may be fine and dandy, but not on THIS site. This is "My Weight Loss Pal". Maybe you should start your own site. Maybe call it My Fitness.... oh. Wait a second.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

My point was that exercise complements and accelerates weight lose.

Plus I figured most people subscribing to my FITNESS pal are after the health kick as well as the weight loss.

I fully accept that diet alone will lead to weight loss. Technically if you stop eating and drinking anything you will loss weight - I would suggest it though it's quite a short term plan.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Fit? That's not what this web site is about! That may be fine and dandy, but not on THIS site. This is "My Weight Loss Pal". Maybe you should start your own site. Maybe call it My Fitness.... oh. Wait a second.

Touché my Sarcy friend
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I don't know about you, but I would rather support systems tell me the truth, rather than just blindly nod to any any silliness I blather.

Sheesh, what a white knight. smh

Until I understood how the body breaks down macronutrients In my body I probably wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an article that has at least some understanding.