A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people would rather have 1,500 of junk that in the end will do more harm than good to your health than eating 1,500 of tasty, healthy food that will make you a healthier human being. Why would I like to eat 1,000 at one sitting on McDonalds instead of 1,000 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, and even dessert during the day?

And forgive my english...

Because a McDonalds Big Mac and fries tastes way better than chicken and broccoli :tongue: And since I can fit it in with my goals, I'm going with the Big Mac :drinker: And I'm already a healthy human being, while eating Big Macs and fries and all the other foods I like. My life is pretty darn good :bigsmile:
    Seriously? Maybe you are. I really haven't eaten a lot of fast food in my life, independent restaurants for sure but I just don't see the attraction, because taste. Each to their own, no doubt about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "I guess 42lbs and 8% BF loss is not sucess...how much do I have to lose to be considered a success?"

First, to be a success, by your own criteria, you would have to meet your goals. From what I remember, you are 8 lbs away from your goal, and thus still short of success, as you yourself define it.

Second, and more important, losing the weight is the easy part. I wouldn't call anyone a success until they had maintained a healthy goal weight for at least two years, and three years would be better. If you still think of yourself as being in a maintenance phase, then you haven't yet succeeded. Success is actually when you reach the point where you have stabilized your weight at a desired level, and you stop thinking of yourself as dieting.

Short of that, I would say that you are on track and doing very well. But, alas, success is still a long way off.

Goals are defined by the individual and can expand well beyond their weight. So they can be successful without hitting their goal weight. Also, who is to say that the OP didn't just do a bulk phase and now has to complete a cut? I can tell you for me, I have zero weight goals. All my goals are performance and body fat related.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people would rather have 1,500 of junk that in the end will do more harm than good to your health than eating 1,500 of tasty, healthy food that will make you a healthier human being. Why would I like to eat 1,000 at one sitting on McDonalds instead of 1,000 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, and even dessert during the day?

And forgive my english...

Because a McDonalds Big Mac and fries tastes way better than chicken and broccoli :tongue: And since I can fit it in with my goals, I'm going with the Big Mac :drinker: And I'm already a healthy human being, while eating Big Macs and fries and all the other foods I like. My life is pretty darn good :bigsmile:
    Seriously? Maybe you are. I really haven't eaten a lot of fast food in my life, independent restaurants for sure but I just don't see the attraction, because taste. Each to their own, no doubt about it.

I really do love Big Macs and their fries :smile:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Oh, and ETA...
    I still got twitchy when fast eddie said that a calorie is NOT a calorie.

It's okay. It took you a long time to get indoctrinated in to the cult. It will take a while for you to be deprogrammed. There's still hope for you. I got here just in time.

Lol.

Well you already got "smartass" down pat. :-P
    Heh

PS... I had beer and wings for dinner
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't realize my rolling post would piss off people. I'll leave the arguing to Jonnythan, DamePiglet, and Stef.
    tumblr_muezyiarVJ1sj3oxho1_400.gif

Wait... What did I do NOW? I have an alibi! I was at the gym. And Maurice's buying new jeans. And Subway. I have witnesses!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't realize my rolling post would piss off people. I'll leave the arguing to Jonnythan, DamePiglet, and Stef.
    tumblr_muezyiarVJ1sj3oxho1_400.gif

Wait... What did I do NOW? I have an alibi! I was at the gym. And Maurice's buying new jeans. And Subway. I have witnesses!

LOLLLL!!!

I still can't believe this actually rolled...:)
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    sigh...

I haven't really seen ANYONE seriously advocate ONLY eating big macs. That is not the intention.

It isn't all or nothing.

It's about balance. Moderation. Finding a happy medium.

Eat healthy, YES. DAMMIT, YES.
    But the occasional treat is ok too!

That is the point many are making.

It is not going to keep you fat forever if you have a burger from time to time.
    It is not going to keep you fat forever if you enjoy half a cup of ice cream at bed time.

PROVIDED your calories in are less than your calories out on average.

The passionate "pro junk food" people (myself included) are saying...
    JEEZE... DON'T MAKE IT SO HARD FOR YOURSELF.

Enjoy your life how you want it. If you wanna eat veggies all day, and are getting enough protein. Go for it.
    If you wanna eat paleo... go for it.
    If you wanna eat primal... go for it.

Just aim to hit your fats / carbs / proteins at a healthy calorie limit, and you should be fine! *insert medical anomaly disclaimer here*

Bravo.

Just say it exactly the way you just did. The problem I see is a LOT of people are NOT saying "But the occasional treat is okay too!" They're just saying "A calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want". And to prove the point we get the anecdote of one guy in Uraguay who lost weight eating nothing but Cinnabon. And even when they begrudgingly, breaking cult rules, admit it's not a great idea, they say it's because it wouldn't be healthy. Well yeah. But no. It's because you couldn't do it. You'd burn though that sugar in no time and be starving for the rest of the day. Normal people couldn't maintain that very long.

As you said, it isn't all or nothing. In other words, neither extreme is appropriate. And advocating one extreme is no better than advocating the other. So let's stop doing it.

"It's about balance. Moderation. Finding a happy medium."

Well said. And that implies that you need to be at least SOMEWHAT selective in your diet choices. And another way of saying that might be that all foods are not equal. Or yet another way of saying that might be "a calorie is NOT a calorie". And yet, if someone dare suggest such heresy against the cult, the members rally to shun the unbeliever!

It's become some kind of self feeding echo chamber of weirdness on here. I get it. Just take it down a notch. Or 100.

As I have said REPEATEDLY, visit the MFP home page and you will see the words "EAT WHAT YOU LIKE AND LOSE WEIGHT"
    Not "eat what you want as long as it's cauliflower"...
    The use of the word "cult" to describe people who advocate using this site as it was designed is ridiculous. Utter nonsense.

This site is BUILT AROUND IIFYM!

You certainly can use this tool for other purposes, but don't be shocked when you come across droves of people who use it as we do.

And yeah, I eat something "junky" EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    Just bought size 6 jeans.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Guys, again. A calorie IS a calorie. You people claiming the opposite are talking about calorie DENSITY, or calories per measurement of weight. That's a difference. 1 kilo of rocks weighs the same as 1 kilo of feathers. You just need much more of the feathers to get to 1 kilo. That is all.
    You CAN eat junk and lose weight if you stay in your calories.
    You CAN go a few hours being hungry without stuffing your face if you have a shred of willpower.
    If you want to eat a bigmac for breakfast, go ahead, but you have to be aware that that takes away from the calories you can eat for the rest of the day and you may get hungry fast. If you are okay with that, great! If you can't have your tummy rumble for a bit without getting out the tub of ice cream, then you have to reconsider what you're eating.
    A lot of people saying a calorie is not a calorie here sound like they're blaming the food instead of themselves for not being able to keep their pie hole shut. I don't like that.
    Have some common sense.
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    I may be an anomaly but I am a healthy middle aged man who has a very "unhealthy" diet. No fruits, no vegetables and a lot of processed food. Despite this my only two health issues are a blown ACL and minor carpal tunnel, neither of which could have been avoided with a "healthy" diet.

I found myself 35 lbs overweight and I knew exactly why. I was drinking two cans of coke a day and eating 1500+ calories a day for lunch. I installed MFP on my phone and cut my calories and am now down 19 lbs through portion/calorie control, not eating healthier calories.

In my experience a calorie is just a calorie. When I have more I gain weight, when I have less I lose weight.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I may be an anomaly but I am a healthy middle aged man who has a very "unhealthy" diet. No fruits, no vegetables and a lot of processed food. Despite this my only two health issues are a blown ACL and minor carpal tunnel, neither of which could have been avoided with a "healthy" diet.

I found myself 35 lbs overweight and I knew exactly why. I was drinking two cans of coke a day and eating 1500+ calories a day for lunch. I installed MFP on my phone and cut my calories and am now down 19 lbs through portion/calorie control, not eating healthier calories.

In my experience a calorie is just a calorie. When I have more I gain weight, when I have less I lose weight.

Oh hai there!:flowerforyou:

(Btw... 7 cheeseburgers isn't a food... It's 7 instances of a food. And yeah, I put this back in EVERYONE's 'My Topics'.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Guys, again. A calorie IS a calorie. You people claiming the opposite are talking about calorie DENSITY, or calories per measurement of weight. That's a difference. 1 kilo of rocks weighs the same as 1 kilo of feathers. You just need much more of the feathers to get to 1 kilo. That is all.
    You CAN eat junk and lose weight if you stay in your calories.
    You CAN go a few hours being hungry without stuffing your face if you have a shred of willpower.
    If you want to eat a bigmac for breakfast, go ahead, but you have to be aware that that takes away from the calories you can eat for the rest of the day and you may get hungry fast. If you are okay with that, great! If you can't have your tummy rumble for a bit without getting out the tub of ice cream, then you have to reconsider what you're eating.
    A lot of people saying a calorie is not a calorie here sound like they're blaming the food instead of themselves for not being able to keep their pie hole shut. I don't like that.
    Have some common sense.

Who is claiming that a calorie is not a calorie?

I swear this thread is just getting more confusing by the minute.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yes...loose weight on McDonalds, Starbucks, whatever...but why the hell are you loosing weight in the first place? So you can look great in your Speedos this summer? Or are you actually trying to invest in your health?

Eat crap and you will reap the 'rewards' years from now...Lets see...how does diabetes, high cholesterol, fatty liver, organ inflammation, poor immunity and medication to help you cope sound?

Then you can go to the doctor every week when your 50 and drain out the countries health care and 'eat-up' everyone's tax paying dollars too...or if you live in the states, you can spend all your retirement dollars on pills and visits to the ER or doctor instead of enjoying your 'golden years'.

Does anyone agree with the above??
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Just say it exactly the way you just did. The problem I see is a LOT of people are NOT saying "But the occasional treat is okay too!" They're just saying "A calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want".

I don't think anyone is saying that... But I could be wrong.

A calorie is a calorie doesn't mean "eat all the things" Either does IIFYM. I dunno why people always project crazy extremes in this argument.

The people saying a "calorie is a calorie" are almost always preaching moderation as well.

EDIT: Shakes fist in general direction of DamePiglet for bumping this up "My Topics"
  • tedrickp
    Options
    Yes...loose weight on McDonalds, Starbucks, whatever...but why the hell are you loosing weight in the first place? So you can look great in your Speedos this summer? Or are you actually trying to invest in your health?

Eat crap and you will reap the 'rewards' years from now...Lets see...how does diabetes, high cholesterol, fatty liver, organ inflammation, poor immunity and medication to help you cope sound?

Then you can go to the doctor every week when your 50 and drain out the countries health care and 'eat-up' everyone's tax paying dollars too...or if you live in the states, you can spend all your retirement dollars on pills and visits to the ER or doctor instead of enjoying your 'golden years'.

Does anyone agree with the above??

No because it is fear mongering.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    ^^A good soundbite at the end....

"eating ‘good’ foods will allow you to keep total calories higher but eating the occasional ‘bad’ food won’t wreck your diet as long as it controlled within the context of total caloric intake."

This kind of sums it up IMO.

Alan Aragon had a great one line synopsis about the calorie is a calorie issue on his Facebook feed but I can't find it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    "I guess 42lbs and 8% BF loss is not sucess...how much do I have to lose to be considered a success?"

First, to be a success, by your own criteria, you would have to meet your goals. From what I remember, you are 8 lbs away from your goal, and thus still short of success, as you yourself define it.

Second, and more important, losing the weight is the easy part. I wouldn't call anyone a success until they had maintained a healthy goal weight for at least two years, and three years would be better. If you still think of yourself as being in a maintenance phase, then you haven't yet succeeded. Success is actually when you reach the point where you have stabilized your weight at a desired level, and you stop thinking of yourself as dieting.

Short of that, I would say that you are on track and doing very well. But, alas, success is still a long way off.

Actually my first GW was 165..hit it..
    I am a success because I am here doing what I need to do to hit my goals...I could give a flying fart about my weight...it's about measurments from a tape and BF...I calculate I will be at maintenance for now as of June 15th (Yah just in time for pool side beer) and my bikini...

And I am not dieting...that implies I will stop doing what I am doing now when I hit maintenance...I will be here to count calories even at maintenance, I will hit my macros while in maintenance and still lift 3x a week...

My success is not way off I am living my success now..in the present because I am here and doing what I need to do to get where I want to be...that is success...as I will never be perfect I will always be a work in progress...and willing to accept that...

ETA: this got bumped in my list...blame the guy above me...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    ^^A good soundbite at the end....

"eating ‘good’ foods will allow you to keep total calories higher but eating the occasional ‘bad’ food won’t wreck your diet as long as it controlled within the context of total caloric intake."

This kind of sums it up IMO.

Alan Aragon had a great one line synopsis about the calorie is a calorie issue on his Facebook feed but I can't find it.

I know what you're talking about!
    His work with Dr Brad Shoenfeld is amazing BTW.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think it's a cult.

Have you met the Church of Heavy Lifting yet? That's always fun...

On a serious note I do think that people are genuinely trying to help. However they seem to forget, do not care or do not even know perhaps that knowing something intellectually does not mean the person they are giving the advice to has the skills or psychological profile to even implement the idea.

I get the impression that some people think if they give a dieter valid but generic information such as a "calorie is a calorie" or balance your macros that this will somehow help that person magically to overcome their issues with food or over eating. Sometimes this does work. In many instances it does not. And the instances where it does not is where these forums are severely lacking in quality advice because the only solution appears to be "use willpower" (when in fact having a dietary set up where the need for willpower is reduced to the lowest level possible is far, far better. How that set up is achieved is as much art as science).
  • tedrickp
    Options
    ^^ you make some valid points...I hate the "use willpower" advice. There is some interesting research on willpower out there, that I think sometimes gets overlooked here - which is odd since research backed evidence seems to be supported here (thankfully).

But a "calorie is a calorie" as generic as it is, actually addresses that willpower issue IMO.

It lets people know they don't have to waste willpower cutting out wide swaths of food and/or demonizing entire macros. If the goal is to reduce willpower to the lowest level (i tend to agree) then I see "Calories in/Calories Out" as an important part of that equation.
    I know what you're talking about!
    His work with Dr Brad Shoenfeld is amazing BTW.

Agreed! In fact, so much so I dropped down some cash to join their Cracking the Muscle Code program. After one week, Maybe I bit off more than I can chew - but I needed to shake things up a bit.