A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You can contine to eat whatever you want, eat your chocolate bar and cookies every day and loose weight on a calorie deficit.

You may reach your goals. You lost your weight. But whats the look of your body? Skinny with fat? Lost a lot of weight, but how about your muscles?

On a clean diet, with more protein and healthy fats, you can also reach your goals. But you will lose more fat, spare muscles and get a toned, lean or ripped body. You will probably look great!

Sorry but I look at the people here that I have learned the most from...no names mentioned *cough Sara and SS and whole gamit of others Jonny cough* and I know they treat themselves everyday and look amazing.

But just because there is a treat usually everyday doesn't mean the other choices are all crap..

If anyone who questions this diaries are open...you will see cookies, poptarts, ice cream...but you also see lean chicken, skim milk, non fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit.

But I personally will be gded if I give up having the items I want to eat...ie chocolate everyday even if it's half a serving...and I am healthy, getting very fit, dropping weight slowly, building strength, loss of BF%

I will wash my food that's as clean as it gets...I might even something off the floor if it hasn't been there more than 5secs..esp if it's chocolate

Don't bother-he's a spammer that's been called out in at least one other thread.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    By the way, as the self appointed deprogramer for the cult, I'll say once again. I don't eat clean. I eat some "junk" every day. And I'm not disagreeing with the premise you're trying to promote in your cult. A calorie is a calorie (I said it again!) so far as losing weight is math. True. But there are things that make hitting your calorie goals harder, and avoiding them, at least to a degree, makes it easier to lose weight. Just as incorporating your favorite foods into a diet that will result in weight loss makes it easier to stick with it in the long run. Once again. Both are true. They are not mutually exclusive as the cultists imply when anyone says that.

Imagine we agree on this...I often give the advice to increase protien to feel fuller longer, have enough fat in your diet and don't feel food is bad...cheat days, meals, snacks aren't bad as long as they fit.

But what I do is tell people they don't have to eat "clean" or eliminate food from their daily diet if they don't want to it's not sustainable if you do and leads to "binges"

I am a proponent of eating food, hitting my macros (for health and fitness) but not denying myself what I really want like chocolate as long as it fits in for the day (sometimes even the week) like today for me I am going over my 1600 calories..I am hungry, so I am going to eat more food today...lean chicken, veggies, cheese, greek yogurt all wrapped in a tortilla...nom nom...

*not sure if I am a member of the cult or not..... or if you just entered it*

ETA: but I will still tell people it doesn't matter what they eat if they are in a reasonable deficet they will lose weight...because a lot of the time that's all they want...to lose weight they don't care about maintaining muscle mass or body comp or even understand it. I didn't until I had been here for about 2months...
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    simply saying "a calorie is a calorie" with no other explanation is easily misinterpreted as "I don't have to change my diet at all". It's not wrong. I'll say that again. It's not wrong. (lol Like it matters how many times I say it. Some will just not read it) It's just incomplete information that could lead people to making poor choices. You can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in you losing weight. (Doesn't matter how many times I say that either, to the cultists).

So you agree a calorie is a calorie and you can incorporate any food into your weight loss plan? Not being a **** - just clarifying.

...because that is exactly what most of these "cultists" believe. In fact these "cultists" also agree that a proper diet includes tracking macros and micros. I only know this because of being on the forums for a bit though, so maybe for someone new they wouldn't know that. Fair enough.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    By the way, as the self appointed deprogramer for the cult, I'll say once again. I don't eat clean. I eat some "junk" every day. And I'm not disagreeing with the premise you're trying to promote in your cult. A calorie is a calorie (I said it again!) so far as losing weight is math. True. But there are things that make hitting your calorie goals harder, and avoiding them, at least to a degree, makes it easier to lose weight. Just as incorporating your favorite foods into a diet that will result in weight loss makes it easier to stick with it in the long run. Once again. Both are true. They are not mutually exclusive as the cultists imply when anyone says that.

Could you please identify the cult members? You never know when I might be offered a cup of Kool-aid.

I would assume he means 98% of MFP since it's what the site is designed after.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just say it exactly the way you just did. The problem I see is a LOT of people are NOT saying "But the occasional treat is okay too!" They're just saying "A calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want".

I don't think anyone is saying that... But I could be wrong.

You are. I'll find the quote again if you really need me to. And simply saying "a calorie is a calorie" with no other explanation is easily misinterpreted as "I don't have to change my diet at all". It's not wrong. I'll say that again. It's not wrong. (lol Like it matters how many times I say it. Some will just not read it) It's just incomplete information that could lead people to making poor choices. You can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in you losing weight. (Doesn't matter how many times I say that either, to the cultists).

You argue with all of us like we are saying anything different than you.... just face it, you are just as much as part of this "cult" as the rest of us. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Imagine we agree on this...I often give the advice to increase protien to feel fuller longer, have enough fat in your diet and don't feel food is bad...cheat days, meals, snacks aren't bad as long as they fit.

But what I do is tell people they don't have to eat "clean" or eliminate food from their daily diet if they don't want to it's not sustainable if you do and leads to "binges"

I am a proponent of eating food, hitting my macros (for health and fitness) but not denying myself what I really want like chocolate as long as it fits in for the day (sometimes even the week) like today for me I am going over my 1600 calories..I am hungry, so I am going to eat more food today...lean chicken, veggies, cheese, greek yogurt all wrapped in a tortilla...nom nom...

ETA: but I will still tell people it doesn't matter what they eat if they are in a reasonable deficet they will lose weight...because a lot of the time that's all they want...to lose weight they don't care about maintaining muscle mass or body comp or even understand it. I didn't until I had been here for about 2months...

First rule of the MFP cult : do not talk about the cult
    Second rule of the MFP cut: you DO NOT talk about the cult!!!!

If you break these rules, you will be banned or given a strike..

BTW, I agree with everything you are saying. In fact, 90% of the people in this thread do. I just can't figure out how we keep arguing this.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Just say it exactly the way you just did. The problem I see is a LOT of people are NOT saying "But the occasional treat is okay too!" They're just saying "A calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want".

I don't think anyone is saying that... But I could be wrong.

You are. I'll find the quote again if you really need me to. And simply saying "a calorie is a calorie" with no other explanation is easily misinterpreted as "I don't have to change my diet at all". It's not wrong. I'll say that again. It's not wrong. (lol Like it matters how many times I say it. Some will just not read it) It's just incomplete information that could lead people to making poor choices. You can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in you losing weight. (Doesn't matter how many times I say that either, to the cultists).

You argue with all of us like we are saying anything different than you.... just face it, you are just as much as part of this "cult" as the rest of us. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

A calorie is a calorie just like a person is a person.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

First rule of the MFP cult : do not talk about the cult
    Second rule of the MFP cut: you DO NOT talk about the cult!!!!

If you break these rules, you will be banned or given a strike..

BTW, I agree with everything you are saying. In fact, 90% of the people in this thread do. I just can't figure out how we keep arguing this.

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Calorie deficit plus exercise equals weight lose.

I suppose what we're not agreeing on is where that weight lose is coming from.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Is this really a thread of people saying the same thing but trying to argue about how the other side is wrong?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

PS I admit I am dogmatic...don't hate me I was suppose to be a lawyer...:wink:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Is this really a thread of people saying the same thing but trying to argue about how the other side is wrong?

No. We are converting folks over to the dark side.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

No. We are converting folks over to the dark side.

:laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    How can I hate a plm!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    In for this nonstop party train. I even brought the wii!

3178a2q.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

Haven't read anyhting but this (the last) post. Exercise is not required for weight loss.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is beneficial in your weight loss.

If you can agree to accept the change I made, we can meet in a common ground :)
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    the difference between 1500 cals of junk is- skinny fat or fat

1500 cals - of lean meats and good carbs and veggies -clean eating- sleek body, not bloated , weight loss perhaps? better skin and appearance..

obvious- choice #2
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Haven't read anyhting but this (the last) post. Exercise is not required for weight loss.

No but surely the message from your diet plan is to exercise as well.

Omg, other wise this website would be MY EATING PAL.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Hi! Do I smell Kool-aid on your breath? I think I do! :bigsmile:

I'm just butting in to say that many, many of us exercise, but many also don't do any extra activity and just track calories to lose/maintain