A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    the difference between 1500 cals of junk is- skinny fat or fat

1500 cals - of lean meats and good carbs and veggies -clean eating- sleek body, not bloated , weight loss perhaps? better skin and appearance..

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

1500 cals - of lean meats and good carbs and veggies -clean eating- sleek body, not bloated , weight loss perhaps? better skin and appearance..

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

Who wants it to end. This is the best debate I've had in weeks.

I've never known so many shades of grey (there's definitely more than 50)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

obvious- choice #2

Did you just inadvertently call me skinny fat?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

Never.
    Skinny fat!!'
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Calorie deficit plus exercise equals weight lose.

I suppose what we're not agreeing on is where that weight lose is coming from.

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

PS I admit I am dogmatic...don't hate me I was suppose to be a lawyer...:wink:

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is beneficial in your weight loss.

If you can agree to accept the change I made, we can meet in a common ground :)

Yah this...

I exercise 5x a week...3x is because I love weight lifting I will do that even after I have stopped my weight loss...the HIIT I do...I do for 15mins...cause I was bored and it's winter and I can't get outside and go for a decent walk...it's all for my sanity really.

But exercise can be benefical yes...but you can't outrun a bad diet...as I said before..

*whispers we got another one...{insert evil laugh}*
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

This is much less boring than 50 shades of grey. Not to mention, most posts are better written.
  • Hornsby
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

Ah yes, but this is about the 2000th thread that is nearly identical. You weren't the first to come to MFP and debate ;)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

Hi! Do I smell Kool-aid on your breath? I think I do! :bigsmile:

I'm just butting in to say that many, many of us exercise, but many also don't do any extra activity and just track calories to lose/maintain

Excuses my ignorance - what's kool aid.

Your point is true but I'm not sure too many of the my FITNESS pal members fall into that category.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

Ah yes, but this is about the 2000th thread that is nearly identical. You weren't the first to come to MFP and debate ;)

No joined in about page 5 of part 1.

In fact it may have been me that thought I had stumbled on to a cult.:happy:
  • Hornsby
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

I know when you joined the conversation. I was just saying that there have been many (probably 3-5 per month) prior to this thread for as long as I can remember that debate the same things and I haven't been on the forums all that long. I can only imagine how many even prior to me. Stick around, you can argue with the "right" side in the next week or so ;)

Oh, and here is a hint....I thought along the same lines as the people who thought they had to cut out everything that tasted good before I read and learned.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

I'm just butting in to say that many, many of us exercise, but many also don't do any extra activity and just track calories to lose/maintain

Your point is true but I'm not sure too many of the my FITNESS pal members fall into that category.
    Delicious sugar water.
    Also used when referring to cults because some cult people put poison in it and mass suicided for their god or something?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

I know when you joined the conversation. I was just saying that there have been many (probably 3-5 per month) prior to this thread for as long as I can remember that debate the same things and I haven't been on the forums all that long. I can only imagine how many even prior to me. Stick around, you can argue with the "right" side in the next week or so ;)

Oh, and here is a hint....I thought along the same lines as the people who thought they had to cut out everything that tasted good before I read and learned.

That's great, you're in learning mode.

I take it that means your views are flexible (as they should be).

We're all different (you could say were like calories) we all act and react to things in different ways and therefore we all take different paths to reach the same destination.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Delicious sugar water.
    Also used when referring to cults because some cult people put poison in it and mass suicided for their god or something?

Cool (or should I say kool).

So I have stumbled on the Waco of the diet forums.:smile:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Koolaid is in reference to the mass suicide of the cult led by Jim Jones (the fed the children purple koolaid laced with poison).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Koolaid is in reference to the mass suicide of the cult led by Jim Jones (the fed the children purple koolaid laced with poison).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

I'm from the UK we miss out on all this stuff.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    simply saying "a calorie is a calorie" with no other explanation is easily misinterpreted as "I don't have to change my diet at all". It's not wrong. I'll say that again. It's not wrong. (lol Like it matters how many times I say it. Some will just not read it) It's just incomplete information that could lead people to making poor choices. You can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in you losing weight. (Doesn't matter how many times I say that either, to the cultists).

So you agree a calorie is a calorie and you can incorporate any food into your weight loss plan? Not being a **** - just clarifying.

...because that is exactly what most of these "cultists" believe. In fact these "cultists" also agree that a proper diet includes tracking macros and micros. I only know this because of being on the forums for a bit though, so maybe for someone new they wouldn't know that. Fair enough.

A calorie is a calorie. I've made a point of saying so in every post on the topic. The cultists are the ones who go ape **** if you suggest that food cravings are real and it's helpful to avoid those foods when trying to maintain a calorie deficit. That's the only thing that bugs me. If you tell someone that it's a good idea to eat things that keep you feeling satisfied for a while to help keep you away from the vending machine, without fail someone says "Why? A calorie is a calorie." Yeaaaah. But candy doesn't satisfy you. And an hour later you'll be back because you're hungry again. And if you're eating fewer calories, it's good to keep an eye on getting some nutrition- as you said. Hitting your goals. JUST saying "a calorie is a calorie" without including any of the rest of that is just poor advice and could easily be the kind of advice that sets someone up to fail. Just as telling them they can never eat the foods they love.

Hey, notice how all my posts on the subject keep saying the same things? Yeah. Kinda like that.
  • Hornsby
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

Always, everyone should always be in learning mode. When people aren't is when issues arise.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    But a "calorie is a calorie" as generic as it is, actually addresses that willpower issue IMO.

It lets people know they don't have to waste willpower cutting out wide swaths of food and/or demonizing entire macros. If the goal is to reduce willpower to the lowest level (i tend to agree) then I see "Calories in/Calories Out" as an important part of that equation.

For sure.

We know that as a dieting model anything which puts high levels of restriction against willpower generally tends to fail. Our stores of willpower are finite and if it constantly has to fight the tension created by deprivation it will buckle most times. People then feel they have failed and go on to hoover up everything palatable food item in a ten mile radius. That is why the idea of CICO really helps as it reduces feelings of deprivation as you understand that you can incorporate pretty much anything and still succeed.

The problem comes when you have foods which people have tremendously difficult regulating their intake of properly. Knowing intellectually that CICO will work ("twinkie diet yo!") doesn't give you the skills, particularly psychological, to do so, especially when eating them has become autonomous. Moderation may not even be the best solution in the short term. Giving some people alternative strategies to deal with their "kryptonite"may be necessary.

I think the detailed discussions of physiology are good but not when it crowds out discussions about dieting psychology. Addressing both are important.

Great post.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    simply saying "a calorie is a calorie" with no other explanation is easily misinterpreted as "I don't have to change my diet at all". It's not wrong. I'll say that again. It's not wrong. (lol Like it matters how many times I say it. Some will just not read it) It's just incomplete information that could lead people to making poor choices. You can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in you losing weight. (Doesn't matter how many times I say that either, to the cultists).

So you agree a calorie is a calorie and you can incorporate any food into your weight loss plan? Not being a **** - just clarifying.

...because that is exactly what most of these "cultists" believe. In fact these "cultists" also agree that a proper diet includes tracking macros and micros. I only know this because of being on the forums for a bit though, so maybe for someone new they wouldn't know that. Fair enough.

A calorie is a calorie. I've made a point of saying so in every post on the topic. The cultists are the ones who go ape **** if you suggest that food cravings are real and it's helpful to avoid those foods when trying to maintain a calorie deficit. That's the only thing that bugs me. If you tell someone that it's a good idea to eat things that keep you feeling satisfied for a while to help keep you away from the vending machine, without fail someone says "Why? A calorie is a calorie." Yeaaaah. But candy doesn't satisfy you. And an hour later you'll be back because you're hungry again. And if you're eating fewer calories, it's good to keep an eye on getting some nutrition- as you said. Hitting your goals. JUST saying "a calorie is a calorie" without including any of the rest of that is just poor advice and could easily be the kind of advice that sets someone up to fail. Just as telling them they can never eat the foods they love.

Hey, notice how all my posts on the subject keep saying the same things? Yeah. Kinda like that.
    I'm fairly sure no one in here stopped talking after saying "a calorie is a calorie".
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

obvious- choice #2

When will it end???....

Always, everyone should always be in learning mode. When people aren't is when issues arise.

Agreed, when presented with evidence that contradicts my current beliefs I'm not adverse to a u-turn or two.