A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You can contine to eat whatever you want, eat your chocolate bar and cookies every day and loose weight on a calorie deficit.

You may reach your goals. You lost your weight. But whats the look of your body? Skinny with fat? Lost a lot of weight, but how about your muscles?

On a clean diet, with more protein and healthy fats, you can also reach your goals. But you will lose more fat, spare muscles and get a toned, lean or ripped body. You will probably look great!

Sorry but I look at the people here that I have learned the most from...no names mentioned *cough Sara and SS and whole gamit of others Jonny cough* and I know they treat themselves everyday and look amazing.

But just because there is a treat usually everyday doesn't mean the other choices are all crap..

If anyone who questions this diaries are open...you will see cookies, poptarts, ice cream...but you also see lean chicken, skim milk, non fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit.

But I personally will be gded if I give up having the items I want to eat...ie chocolate everyday even if it's half a serving...and I am healthy, getting very fit, dropping weight slowly, building strength, loss of BF%

I will wash my food that's as clean as it gets...I might even something off the floor if it hasn't been there more than 5secs..esp if it's chocolate
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Wow, this was an unforgettable reading...

It's very interesting how so many defend the way of losing weight on a diet that includes ice cream, cookies etc.

I still push for clean diets to lose weight, and to get a lean or ripped physique.

Clean diets BUT with the space to reward yourself when you're reaching your goals.

Losing weight and eating cookies and fast food once a day - or more - because you it fits your calories, is a easy way. Of course it is. You don't have to be so hard on yourself. You're allowed to cheat! But it's not as effective as a clean diet with cheat meals occasionly, when for example, you're reaching your goals.

A clean diet is tougher but more effective. You will BURN FAT in faster tempo. You will feel healther. You will be healthier.

Losing weight. Who care's about the weight anyway? In my world it's all about the BF% and the waist measure.

You can contine to eat whatever you want, eat your chocolate bar and cookies every day and loose weight on a calorie deficit.

You may reach your goals. You lost your weight. But whats the look of your body? Skinny with fat? Lost a lot of weight, but how about your muscles?

On a clean diet, with more protein and healthy fats, you can also reach your goals. But you will lose more fat, spare muscles and get a toned, lean or ripped body. You will probably look great!

Do you think Mark Anthony Wingson was eating one or two chocolate bars in the evening on his diet, because it fit his calories...? Do you think he had look this fit if he could eat WHATEVER he wanted on his diet...?

http://cdn-w.musculardevelopment.com/photos/transferred/IMG_5102 copy_TDSCBGMCMD.jpg

NO. He hadn't lookt that way at all, if he was allowed to eat whater he wanted on his diet, even if it was on a calorie deficit diet.

If you just want to lose weight and that's the only goal. You don't care about the overall look of your body, estethics, your muscles, your healt etc. Then it's all fine. You can continue to eat crap all day long as long as you are in a calorie deficit. In that way you can say that a calorie is a calorie.

But if you have higher goals and expectations regarding your body, then you should keep a cleaner and better diet. In that way a calorie is NOT just a calorie.

BOOM. thank you. and I'm already pretty thin..i would not call 125 fat. its about building muscle and getting toned for me. THANK YOU
    Neither of which is going to happen if you continue to eat 900 calories or less a day.

x1000 or on 1200 calories a day...
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Yes, he is am IFBB Pro. But not in bodybuilding. IF he would use any type of steroid - or clen, DNP or whatever, he still hadn't get that ripped eating whater he wanted as long as he was on a calorie deficit.

Do they drug test for the physique section of IFBB? If not, safe to assume all the top level guys are on gear. If they do test, my bad, i know they don't for BB

Secondly, you know there are ripped people who follow IIFYM right?

Eric Helms
    Alberto Nunez
    Matt Ogus
    Omar Isuf

Four quick examples.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

A clean diet is tougher but more effective. You will BURN FAT in faster tempo. You will feel healther. You will be healthier.

Non sense. If you can show me a controlled study or trial that shows the difference between eating clean foods (which is very loosely defined) and a person who eats in moderation but still holds protein levels, then I might believe you. Its ridiculous to think that a person such as myself who eats 165g -180g of protein and 2400 calories would benefit any greater if I replace my nightly Klondike bar. From what I can tell, your presumption is that by eating dirty, you alter the macronutrient % to a less favorable (probably reduction in protein) causing less desirable results. Below is sarah who eats ice cream nightly and lost a lot of weight. She is a power lifter and this was prebulk.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics?hl=a+year+of+lifting+and+ice+cream
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories I can eat a day without gaining fat, because MFP doesn't tell me how many calories I burn from weight training
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

It's very interesting how so many defend the way of losing weight on a diet that includes ice cream, cookies etc.

I still push for clean diets to lose weight, and to get a lean or ripped physique.

Clean diets BUT with the space to reward yourself when you're reaching your goals.

Losing weight and eating cookies and fast food once a day - or more - because you it fits your calories, is a easy way. Of course it is. You don't have to be so hard on yourself. You're allowed to cheat! But it's not as effective as a clean diet with cheat meals occasionly, when for example, you're reaching your goals.

Losing weight. Who care's about the weight anyway? In my world it's all about the BF% and the waist measure.

Do you think Mark Anthony Wingson was eating one or two chocolate bars in the evening on his diet, because it fit his calories...? Do you think he had look this fit if he could eat WHATEVER he wanted on his diet...?

http://cdn-w.musculardevelopment.com/photos/transferred/IMG_5102 copy_TDSCBGMCMD.jpg

NO. He hadn't lookt that way at all, if he was allowed to eat whater he wanted on his diet, even if it was on a calorie deficit diet.

If you just want to lose weight and that's the only goal. You don't care about the overall look of your body, estethics, your muscles, your healt etc. Then it's all fine. You can continue to eat crap all day long as long as you are in a calorie deficit. In that way you can say that a calorie is a calorie.

But if you have higher goals and expectations regarding your body, then you should keep a cleaner and better diet. In that way a calorie is NOT just a calorie.

I think you're rambling on missing the point entirely. IIFYM doesn't mean eating "bad" food all day long. It means taking in 20-30% of your calories from things you enjoy.

I've slow bulked twice now ... once with CLEAN eating for months and once with dirty eating. my weight went to the same exact spot, my body comp was the same, and I felt the same.

Do you HONESTLY believe your body knows you get protein from a Big Mac vs. a chicken breast?

Granted... I know I won't preform 100% going into my deadlifts trying to get up 500lbs. on a stomach full of pop-tarts and Snickers. But eating "bad" labeled food is fine in moderation.

IFBB guys do the same. Jay Cutler / Kai Greene even said they did. They stop a few months before a show to drop all excess water weight.

You can lose weight and look good eating McDonalds all day if you want, but, you won't preform 100% lifting 500+lbs, I'll vouch for that. But for body comp it's perfectly fine.

NATURAL examples:

Brandon Campbell
    Hodge Twins (< --- my personal inspiration)
    Matt Ogus (ripped as hell)
    Chris Lavado (ripped as hell)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

He is an IFBB pro, so he is prolly on a stack of steroids that some of us can't even afford...

I won't touch the rest of your post tho.

Yes, he is am IFBB Pro. But not in bodybuilding. IF he would use any type of steroid - or clen, DNP or whatever, he still hadn't get that ripped eating whater he wanted as long as he was on a calorie deficit.
    No doubt that eating had a lot to do with his physique, but steroids affect physique greatly too. There's no denial that someone who has a good physique, greatly enhances it even more with steroids.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Non sense. If you can show me a controlled study or trial that shows the difference between eating clean foods (which is very loosely defined) and a person who eats in moderation but still holds protein levels, then I might believe you. Its ridiculous to think that a person such as myself who eats 165g -180g of protein and 2400 calories would benefit any greater if I replace my nightly Klondike bar. From what I can tell, your presumption is that by eating dirty, you alter the macronutrient % to a less favorable (probably reduction in protein) causing less desirable results. Below is sarah who eats ice cream nightly and lost a lot of weight. She is a power lifter and this was prebulk.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics?hl=a+year+of+lifting+and+ice+cream

Bingo.

And just FYI, altering your diet to a 'clean' diet can be detrimental depending on whether the dieter understands that they need to maintain certain macros. I did that to myself as a teenager - followed a less than knowledgeable sports trainer's suggestions, transitioned to a clean diet (though no-one called it that back then) - and wrecked my digestive system and negatively impacted my performance because the new diet dropped my fat intake way too low. I ate too much lean chicken breast and veggies, no nuts, seeds, etc to compensate.

I was actually healthier and stronger eating 'normal' food.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I don't know how many calories I can eat a day without gaining fat, because MFP doesn't tell me how many calories I burn from weight training

You can easily figure that out. If you eat a specific number of calories a day (using a food scale for accuracy) you can then look at weight loss trends over 4-8 weeks. For example. I eat on average 2400 calories a day (regardless of my exercise routine). I average 1 lb per week. This means I have a 500 calorie deficit. This means, my TDEE or maintenance calories = 2900 (+/- 100 calories).

If you look at some TDEE threads and develop a number, you can figure that out.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The strength training section allows you to track exercises. There is a cardio section that has "strength training" listed, which will add back your calories.

In addition, if you do not feel like you are over weight, you do not need to be eating at a deficit, but eat at maintenance or a very slight deficit and use a progressive resistance training program. Here is a good example of how eating more (and even at a surplus to gain weight) can lead to having a better body:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

And this picture summarizes it pretty well (she's 11lbs heavier in the picture on the right):
    54b9d0ce-b8cb-4f82-b6b5-e2e17713d515_zpsc4e88b7e.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Oh boy! Back just in time for Mr."I body shame then say 'oh whatever works for you .flowerforyou. sorrynotsorry'"

Just no. Meet my ignore, bro.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Bingo.

And just FYI, altering your diet to a 'clean' diet can be detrimental depending on whether the dieter understands that they need to maintain certain macros. I did that to myself as a teenager - followed a less than knowledgeable sports trainer's suggestions, transitioned to a clean diet (though no-one called it that back then) - and wrecked my digestive system and negatively impacted my performance because the new diet dropped my fat intake way too low. I ate too much lean chicken breast and veggies, no nuts, seeds, etc to compensate.

I was actually healthier and stronger eating 'normal' food.

I personally found when I tried a paleo type diet, i would binge more. So for me, cutting out my favorite foods made fitness and weight loss more difficult. Lets face it, diet adherence is the most important thing for success. I do that more now with no food restrictions and have been successful.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I think you're rambling on missing the point entirely. IIFYM doesn't mean eating "bad" food all day long. It means taking in 20-30% of your calories from things you enjoy.

I've slow bulked twice now ... once with CLEAN eating for months and once with dirty eating. my weight went to the same exact spot, my body comp was the same, and I felt the same.

Do you HONESTLY believe your body knows you get protein from a Big Mac vs. a chicken breast?

Granted... I know I won't preform 100% going into my deadlifts trying to get up 500lbs. on a stomach full of pop-tarts and Snickers. But eating "bad" labeled food is fine in moderation.

IFBB guys do the same. Jay Cutler / Kai Greene even said they did. They stop a few months before a show to drop all excess water weight.

You can lose weight and look good eating McDonalds all day if you want, but, you won't preform 100% lifting 500+lbs, I'll vouch for that. But for body comp it's perfectly fine.

NATURAL examples:

Brandon Campbell
    Hodge Twins (< --- my personal inspiration)
    Matt Ogus (ripped as hell)
    Chris Lavado (ripped as hell)

Naw, trust me, Mr. Steeple-fingers knows what we mean and means every word of what he says.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    The strength training section allows you to track exercises. There is a cardio section that has "strength training" listed, which will add back your calories.

In addition, if you do not feel like you are over weight, you do not need to be eating at a deficit, but eat at maintenance or a very slight deficit and use a progressive resistance training program. Here is a good example of how eating more (and even at a surplus to gain weight) can lead to having a better body:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

And this picture summarizes it pretty well (she's 11lbs heavier in the picture on the right):
    54b9d0ce-b8cb-4f82-b6b5-e2e17713d515_zpsc4e88b7e.jpg

This girl is an amazing example.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I went and had Mcdonalds after like 5 months of eating meals I make at home wasn't even craving it was just eating there out of convenice and poor planning. 5 months of being on track and it was easy... Had mcdonalds once, ONCE! and since I've been totally off the wagon for a week now. Craving it everyday after eating it once. The food has got to be laced!

This ^^^ was the reason for my weight gain. I had managed to keep my weight down for months and was finally getting used to my smaller figure then enter my mum stage left 'Have some McDonalds' she said 'It will be fine' she said.
    When she came back from holiday I did not look fine, I looked like a beach whale. This was nearly a year ago and it has been a constant battle to get this weight back off. I can eat chocolate, crisps, Burger King literally any kind of junk but McDonalds causes me to just spiral out of control. Can't be done.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Havent seen Sara or Sidesteel...or a slew of other people who follow IIFYM, have you.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Guys, again. A calorie IS a calorie. You people claiming the opposite are talking about calorie DENSITY, or calories per measurement of weight

No one said the opposite, or even disagreed with your first statement.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Just say it exactly the way you just did. The problem I see is a LOT of people are NOT saying "But the occasional treat is okay too!" They're just saying "A calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want".

I don't think anyone is saying that... But I could be wrong.

You are. I'll find the quote again if you really need me to. And simply saying "a calorie is a calorie" with no other explanation is easily misinterpreted as "I don't have to change my diet at all". It's not wrong. I'll say that again. It's not wrong. (lol Like it matters how many times I say it. Some will just not read it) It's just incomplete information that could lead people to making poor choices. You can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in you losing weight. (Doesn't matter how many times I say that either, to the cultists).
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    By the way, as the self appointed deprogramer for the cult, I'll say once again. I don't eat clean. I eat some "junk" every day. And I'm not disagreeing with the premise you're trying to promote in your cult. A calorie is a calorie (I said it again!) so far as losing weight is math. True. But there are things that make hitting your calorie goals harder, and avoiding them, at least to a degree, makes it easier to lose weight. Just as incorporating your favorite foods into a diet that will result in weight loss makes it easier to stick with it in the long run. Once again. Both are true. They are not mutually exclusive as the cultists imply when anyone says that.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    By the way, as the self appointed deprogramer for the cult, I'll say once again. I don't eat clean. I eat some "junk" every day. And I'm not disagreeing with the premise you're trying to promote in your cult. A calorie is a calorie (I said it again!) so far as losing weight is math. True. But there are things that make hitting your calorie goals harder, and avoiding them, at least to a degree, makes it easier to lose weight. Just as incorporating your favorite foods into a diet that will result in weight loss makes it easier to stick with it in the long run. Once again. Both are true. They are not mutually exclusive as the cultists imply when anyone says that.

Could you please identify the cult members? You never know when I might be offered a cup of Kool-aid.