A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people would rather have 1,500 of junk that in the end will do more harm than good to your health than eating 1,500 of tasty, healthy food that will make you a healthier human being. Why would I like to eat 1,000 at one sitting on McDonalds instead of 1,000 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, and even dessert during the day?

And forgive my english...
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Okay, how many times are you going to open the same "part 2" topic? Just wondering...
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Nice to learn that I can just eat what I want and lose weight. I want seven cheeseburgers and fries with a milk shake. Every day.

Still say I can eat what I want and lose weight?

It's accurate to say you can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in losing weight. It isn't accurate to say you can eat whatever you want. Not the same thing. And I don't know why people are so stuck on that. I eat a Ruben sandwich from Arbys about once every two weeks. Why? Because I want it. But I can't eat whatever I want whenever I want like I used to if I want to lose weight. Just as I don't have to give up eating the foods I love. Both are true. They are not mutually exclusive. This isn't this hard.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

But, see, you do have to give up things if you want to lose weight. It is a struggle and torture.

If it wasn't, most people would not fail trying to lose weight.

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

But not all calories require the same willpower to resist eating.

A calorie of apple is the same as a calorie of ice cream. But last night I ate two bowls of Publix Mint Moose Tracks ice cream - about 1600 calories - nearly my entire daily allotment, on top of everything else I ate that day.

I'd have to eat 20 apples to hit the same caloric intake. Who can eat 20 apples in a day, let a lone at a sitting? Apples don't require nearly as much willpower to resist eating too many of them than ice cream does. They just aren't as pleasurable to eat. So in that regard, a calorie is not a calorie. One kind of calorie requires a lot more self-control to stay in bounds with your caloric intake.

But yes, if you have strong willpower, you can eat absolutely anything and still lose weight. Just like a strong-willed alcoholic can go into a bar and order soda water, or like a someone with a gambling problem can go to Vegas and just sit and watch the games if they have enough willpower.

The bottom line is, if you want to lose weight, you can't eat what you want or as much as you want.

If you have the willpower to only eat a little ice cream, hey! Good for you!

I think the bigger question you have to ask yourself, are your goals too aggressive causing your to binge. Looking at your diary, it's fairly sporadic at best. So it's possible that either your lack of logging, your lack of protein and fats or the thought process you need to eliminate foods is causing you to fail. Personally,i plan for a Klondike bar every night. If i change my meal plan throughout the day and need extra calories, I will cut it or just go over. It is not uncommon that those with aggressive weight loss goals (2 lbs per week and not eating back exercise calories) are more likely to binge or not success (we see this frequently on the boards). But if you start out with a more reasonable goal and learn how to eat whatever you love, you will probably stop binging. But for men, 1600 calories is rarely enough, especially if you are active. I am 31, 5'11, 185 lbs, desk job and exercise 5-6 hours aweek (WT and HIIT) and eat 2400-2600 calories and lose 1 lb a week. So I ask, do you think 1600 is enough for your goals?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This thread rolled?! Wow...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nice to learn that I can just eat what I want and lose weight. I want seven cheeseburgers and fries with a milk shake. Every day.

It's accurate to say you can incorporate any food you like into a diet that will result in losing weight. It isn't accurate to say you can eat whatever you want. Not the same thing. And I don't know why people are so stuck on that. I eat a Ruben sandwich from Arbys about once every two weeks. Why? Because I want it. But I can't eat whatever I want whenever I want like I used to if I want to lose weight. Just as I don't have to give up eating the foods I love. Both are true. They are not mutually exclusive. This isn't this hard.

Who are you talking to? The only poster I know who claims you can eat whatever you want, however much you want (if you skip breakfast) is Steve0.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

On a site dedicated to logging food though, the assumption with any comments along those lines is that you are meeting your calorie goals.

This is not general forum for why am I gaining weight from someone that just doesn't get it, where some basics must be understood first.

So ya, the phrase eating what you want has an implied within your calorie limits context.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Who are you talking to? The only poster I know who claims you can eat whatever you want, however much you want (if you skip breakfast) is Steve0.

This thread may just become epically epic . . .
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, all my replies got deleted, so in for round 2.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

In the grand scheme of things we all agree that there is more to health than just calories. But from a pure weight loss (not caring about the overall picture), you can eat seven cheeseburgers and fries/milkshake and lose weight if your TDEE is high enough. It's why they have diets like the twinkie diet or cookie diet. Heck, there was woman in the news near me that ate nothing but starbucks for one year and lost 60 lbs. She ate 1200 calories worth of starbucks daily.

If you care about health or fitness or adherence, then macros apply
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people woudoesn'her have 1,500 of junk that in the end will do more harm than good to your health than eating 1,500 of tasty, healthy food that will make you a healthier human being. Why would I like to eat 1,000 at one sitting on McDonalds instead of 1,000 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, and even dessert during the day?

And forgive my english...

I think what people are failing to understand is that we're not talking about eating one thing all day. We are not taking about eating 10 cheeseburgers a day we're talking a cheeseburger, salad, some fruit, maybe fish Greek yogurt, ice cream, quinoa. It's about balance and sustainability. We're not saying "eat 100 cookies and lose weight". You could, but you'd feel like junk. Instead, focus on nutrient density of foods proteins, fats, carbs, and fiber. Get those targets in line and yes, enjoy your big Mac. Eric Helms I Believe said, "You don't get extra credit for getting more nutrients than your body requires. " . So, while I understand wanting to healthy, that doesn't mean slapping trivial labels on something simple. Food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This thread rolled?! Wow...

456026.gif
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

In the grand scheme of things we all agree that there is more to health than just calories. But from a pure weight loss (not caring about the overall picture), you can eat seven cheeseburgers and fries/milkshake and lose weight if your TDEE is high enough. It's why they have diets like the twinkie diet or cookie diet. Heck, there was woman in the news near me that ate nothing but starbucks for one year and lost 60 lbs. She ate 1200 calories worth of starbucks daily.

Which is all I've been saying. Why can't we just say what we mean? You can incorporate any food you love into a diet plan that will result in you losing weight. And doing so is will likely make your effort more successful in the long run. Why does that have to get morphed into something that could so easy be misunderstood?

As I said in another thread, it may be possible to lose weight on the twinkie diet, but I know *I* couldn't do it. I get it. Some people are at the other extreme and say you must eat only "healthy" food to lose weight. But why do we have to run to the opposite extreme to point out that they're wrong? Why can't we just offer some real, practical advice? Would you recommend that anyone trying to lose weight should go on the Twinkie diet? Or get all their calories at McDonalds? It's fine to point out that it is possible to do it. But you do that to make a point. After you make the point you should really follow up by explaining why most people who are successful at losing weight and keeping it off make some changes to their diet.

(edit) And no, I couldn't eat all that and lose weight. I'm not physically capable of doing enough exercise to offset all those calories. Even if I was, I'd have to quit my job to have time to do it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yup...

as long as your TDEE is around 3500 and that is McDonalds...7 cheeseburgers=2100 calories, fries=300 calories, shake is 660 calories...

My son could eat that everyday and lose weight...husband would maintain.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Which is all I've been saying. Why can't we just say what we mean? You can incorporate any food you love into a diet plan that will result in you losing weight. And doing so is will likely make your effort more successful in the long run. Why does that have to get morphed into something that could so easy be misunderstood?

As I said in another thread, it may be possible to lose weight on the twinkie diet, but I know *I* couldn't do it. I get it. Some people are at the other extreme and say you must eat only "healthy" food to lose weight. But why do we have to run to the opposite extreme to point out that they're wrong? Why can't we just offer some real, practical advice? Would you recommend that anyone trying to lose weight should go on the Twinkie diet? Or get all their calories at McDonalds? It's fine to point out that it is possible to do it. But you do that to make a point. After you make the point you should really follow up by explaining why most people who are successful at losing weight and keeping it off make some changes to their diet.

(edit) And no, I couldn't eat all that and lose weight. I'm not physically capable of doing enough exercise to offset all those calories. Even if I was, I'd have to quit my job to have time to do it.

Actually, if you planned carefully you could probably hit your macros with McDonald's :laugh:

But I get your point
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Yup...

as long as your TDEE is around 3500 and that is McDonalds...7 cheeseburgers=2100 calories, fries=300 calories, shake is 660 calories...

:angry: :grumble:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf1FOuFVcQCiNIMGNUjd12Y_BO1vbHCXzllpf377K6u5dFSZOk6g
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Actually, if you planned carefully you could probably hit your macros with McDonald's :laugh:

But I get your point
    It can be done in theory:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1172842-a-decent-2000kcal-day-with-40-30-30-macros-from-mcdonalds
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Yup...

Congratulations. You win.

I get your point. But this "debate" is beyond pointless and certainly beyond any practical, useful advice. Every thread on this forum ends up in some stupid fight about things people know are nonsensical. I'll let you and the paleo fans duke it out. I'm going to kind of tip toe out of here now and get back to losing weight. Which involves eating some of the things I used to eat, and some things that are more "healthy".

I know. Crazy. Neither extreme. Somehow it's working. Go figure.

Useful information can be found on the internet... in theory.

This place is worse than Congress.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    Double post.