A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If your not taking additional nutrient supplements - good luck to you in the coming years!!!!

You won't be getting nutrients and vitamins from junk food, if you're not going to eat healthy food i.e. veggies and fruit then at least get your vitamins and nutrients from a supplement source.

I would not like to think what your omega 3/6 ratio is?

Who said anything about not eating fruits and veggies?

You have a bizarre, unrealistic, binary view of eating.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I just read page 1 and have to step in a meeting now, but I just gotta read more later. Really need something to perk up my day after commuting into work in -16F weather.

This_gonna_be_good.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Ice cream mac donalds and pizza all in one night? Wow you've been blessed with genetics!

I didn't know that eating McDonald's, ice cream, and pizza required certain genes.

If anything I have 'fat genes' (most women in my family are overweight) and yet I enjoyed a ten peice mcnugget, fries, an entire bag of sour patch kids, and ice cream a few days ago. Still dropped weight.

Its like ...my ability to math trumps the other stuff.

Wizard of unfathomable proportions, I must become your apprentice.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you're simply looking to lose weight, sure, a calorie is just a calorie and a caloric deficit will get you to where you want to be, eventually.

If you're working toward a competition body or elite athletic status, what you're getting calories from matters a whole lot more.

There are a lot of "experts" on this site. Most aren't even close to that in actuality. What it boils down to is this - figure out what your goals are and what works for you. If you can't handle eating a little bit of ice cream, pizza, candy, etc, then stick to foods that are considered clean and maintain a deficit. If you can't maintain a diet that is super clean (most people can't), figure out how to make some of your favorite foods fit and go from there.

So you haven't read the blog by the body builder who's eating Pop Tarts prior to competitions then, I take it?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.

Look at my pics. At my week 1 and current. Tell me my body comp is the same. This is the result of 1700 -2000 calories worth of "junk" in moderation. That means ice cream every night, mcdonalds, pizza. Marcos are my only focus. Not trivial labels. And yes, calories matter

Ice cream mac donalds and pizza all in one night? Wow you've been blessed with genetics!

No, just the ability to count. As long as the calories add up to less than the daily goal, weight will still be lost.

Who much are you spending on supplements? Surely it's easier to just eat healthy get your nutrients from errr food and put the calculator away.

But ...... and this is the important thing, if it's worked for you then fantastic.

Every success is a good success.

The science behind the article is accurate. The thing is you are obviously someone focused on a goal 'and more power to your elbow for it'.

A lot of people who are over weight don't have the same will power and the hard truth is some food (and not the good stuff) will promote hormone release in the body which create strong cravings for food.

I spend nothing on supplements.
    zilch.
    zero.

"focus" is a choice. Others can make that choice. It's that simple.

If your not taking additional nutrient supplements - good luck to you in the coming years!!!!

You won't be getting nutrients and vitamins from junk food, if you're not going to eat healthy food i.e. veggies and fruit then at least get your vitamins and nutrients from a supplement source.

Most of track our Macro/Micro nutrients as well and make sure we get what we need. You may need to do some reading here...
    http://iifym.com/
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.

Look at my pics. At my week 1 and current. Tell me my body comp is the same. This is the result of 1700 -2000 calories worth of "junk" in moderation. That means ice cream every night, mcdonalds, pizza. Marcos are my only focus. Not trivial labels. And yes, calories matter

No, just the ability to count. As long as the calories add up to less than the daily goal, weight will still be lost.

Who much are you spending on supplements? Surely it's easier to just eat healthy get your nutrients from errr food and put the calculator away.

But ...... and this is the important thing, if it's worked for you then fantastic.

The science behind the article is accurate. The thing is you are obviously someone focused on a goal 'and more power to your elbow for it'.

A lot of people who are over weight don't have the same will power and the hard truth is some food (and not the good stuff) will promote hormone release in the body which create strong cravings for food.

Which is why most everyone on the board tells people to find what works for them. That doesn't change the FACT that a calorie is still just a calorie.

Oh, and most don't promote supplements on here other than protein.

Quite right as well.

Every one should be getting there nutrients and vitamins from real food (not junk or sugar or grains).

But if people are going to be blind to the fact that junk food isn't delivering them then what would you suggest?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I actually do believe for that for some people, a calorie is not just a calorie, which is why some people end up diabetic. For instance, my husband, who is Type II diabetes, and has it in his family (who have a tendency toward overweight), responds differently to carb and sugar calories than I do. He has trouble losing weight unless he significantly reduces carbs, especially high glycemic carbs. A serving of white rice or white bread causes him both to gain weight and have sugar issues, while the same number of protein calories from eggs or lean meat, for instance, don't affect him.

I'm the reverse. I have high cholesterol, and I am within normal weight, but what might be considered "skinny fat." I'm actually trying to lose 10% of my body weight to lower my cholesterol, even though I have a normal BMI. I work out and eat within my calorie limits, but have had to stop eating eggs, high fat dairy products, and animal fat, even shellfish and eating more carbs, but high quality ones, whole grains, etc. Even small amounts of dietary fat and animal products will mess with my LDL level and increase my body fat percentage, even if they don't impact my weight.

So, there may be something to the whole idea that weight loss/gain, or overall health are based on other factors than "calories in, calories out.". After all, insulin is a hormone, and my husband's system is not able to produce it anymore. I'm a post-menopausal female, and my cholesterol started to rise after age 45, so that's also hormone related.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Evidence that this is the case, please?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

A great article.

Err. Both?

I lost the first 15 or so pounds eating fast food for lunch every day, a frozen dinner most nights, and a 400-ish cal dessert every night. I didn't pay attention to macros or micros, but did stick to or slightly under my calorie target.

The rest (10-ish pounds) I've lost eating much better - trying to hit macros and get enough protein. Still staying at or under my calorie target, but my deficit is much smaller and the loss rate has slowed to match. I'm wanting to focus on building muscle as soon as I'm done losing this last bit of weight so need to make sure I'm getting the nutrition I'll need to do that. Plus, I'm not wanting to lose any more muscle.

Funny thing. Seems that no matter what I eat, my loss rate is right in line with my deficit. Amazing.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

A great article.

zilch.
    zero.

Most of track our Macro/Micro nutrients as well and make sure we get what we need. You may need to do some reading here...

You guys work too hard at eating.

Still all the work it takes to track nutrients count calorie intake must be burning off some energy!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

A great article.

zilch.
    zero.

Coming years? Well, since I have 7 on you, I think I'm doing pretty well.
    I didn't say that I don't eat nutrient dense foods. I eat plenty. That's why I don't have to take supplements.
    Sometimes, McDonald's or whatever "junk" food actually COMPLETES my nutrients for the day.
    And I *STILL* have plenty of calories for sweets, etc.
    It obviously blows your mind that we can 'have it all', but we can. Seriously! We really can!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I actually do believe for that for some people, a calorie is not just a calorie, which is why some people end up diabetic. For instance, my husband, who is Type II diabetes, and has it in his family (who have a tendency toward overweight), responds differently to carb and sugar calories than I do. He has trouble losing weight unless he significantly reduces carbs, especially high glycemic carbs. A serving of white rice or white bread causes him both to gain weight and have sugar issues, while the same number of protein calories from eggs or lean meat, for instance, don't affect him.

I'm the reverse. I have high cholesterol, and I am within normal weight, but what might be considered "skinny fat." I'm actually trying to lose 10% of my body weight to lower my cholesterol, even though I have a normal BMI. I work out and eat within my calorie limits, but have had to stop eating eggs, high fat dairy products, and animal fat, even shellfish and eating more carbs, but high quality ones, whole grains, etc. Even small amounts of dietary fat and animal products will mess with my LDL level and increase my body fat percentage, even if they don't impact my weight.

So, there may be something to the whole idea that weight loss/gain, or overall health are based on other factors than "calories in, calories out.". After all, insulin is a hormone, and my husband's system is not able to produce it anymore. I'm a post-menopausal female, and my cholesterol started to rise after age 45, so that's also hormone related.

Please show your proof that you've both weighed all your food and tracked your calorie intake vs. calorie burn each day to prove that you wouldn't lose weight that way? You can't just say "it doesn't work that way for us" if you haven't actually done it. There are a lot of diabetics and people with high cholesterol on this very site who have lost weight tracking CI/CO.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

A great article.

Which is why most everyone on the board tells people to find what works for them. That doesn't change the FACT that a calorie is still just a calorie.

Oh, and most don't promote supplements on here other than protein.

Quite right as well.

Every one should be getting there nutrients and vitamins from real food (not junk or sugar or grains).

But if people are going to be blind to the fact that junk food isn't delivering them then what would you suggest?

I really don't know what you are arguing at this point. This thread is about a calorie being a calorie. Most of this site follows the IIFYM approach. You track your macros/micros and make sure you get the appropriate amount as well as meeting your calorie goal. How you get there is of no matter. OBVIOUSLY, you will not meet all your needs eating twinkies all day, but we aren't talking about extremes, but if you meet all of your goals and have room to spare, or want to go over a bit for the day, or whatever your reasoning, a "junk" food in moderation will not effect your weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A great article.

I gained weight eating healthy food (that would be a calorie surplus).
    I maintained being fat for 20 years eating healthy food (that would be maintenance calories)
    I lost weight eating healthy food (but at a calorie deficit)
    I'm maintaining at a good weight eating healthy food (that would be maintenance calories)

What I ate and how active I was certainly were the reasons behind weight gain and loss - but as I'm eating the same foods whether gaining, maintaining or losing that would seem to point towards food quantity / calorie balance being the issue.
    Or maybe it's unicorns?
  • mccindy72
    Options

A great article.

zilch.
    zero.

Still all the work it takes to track nutrients count calorie intake must be burning off some energy!

All of us who are successfully losing/maintaining weightloss and enjoying eating foods we love are working too hard at it?
  • capugheWECHANGED
    Options
    There is some serious hate on here.
    I didn't actually read the article, but assuming it's about sugar:

If you have a normal insulin response to foods, you can probably get away with just restricting your calories and lose pounds.
    Even if you don't, if you eat less, you will (eventually) lose weight, your energy must come from somewhere.
    Nutrition is important for getting an ideal body composition.
    If you don't exercise, fast acting carbs give you this insta energy that goes nowhere so it will quickly be turned to fat.
    If you don't get enough protein, you may lose muscle mass instead of fat mass.
    Exercise helps your cells accept insulin and helps your body use fat for energy.

As a diabetic, I personally would not fare as well if most of my calories come from carbs.

So people with a normal insulin response who exercise and/or cut calories will have a different experience than those who, like myself, are insulin resistant and/or don't exercise.

So a calorie is just a unit of energy, but for different bodies, carbs, proteins and fats may be processed differently.

If you have something that works for you, congrats, go with that.

But yeah, this is old news.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Quite right as well.

While people are on here saying that they eat tons of "junk" food, people are missing the fact that they are also eating "healthy" foods. One said she eats 50/50 junk, which is one of the higher ones that I've seen, but most people say they enjoy it in moderation. Usually that does not mean eating two big macs a day and then nothing else because they ran out of calories. It might be a quarter pounder with a side salad and veggies and lean protein for the other parts of the day. Or, a big mac and some fries and other "sensible" meals throughout the day.

I agree with what someone else posted. The point of the article was about satiety. Everyone's satiety level is going to be different. I definitely feel full on protein; I have a friend that doesn't get full from high protein but needs more carbs. We both eat within our calorie allotment to maintain satiety. Because of course you're going to over eat if you always feel hungry.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There is some serious hate on here.
    I didn't actually read the article, but assuming it's about sugar:

If you have a normal insulin response to foods, you can probably get away with just restricting your calories and lose pounds.
    Even if you don't, if you eat less, you will (eventually) lose weight, your energy must come from somewhere.
    Nutrition is important for getting an ideal body composition.
    If you don't exercise, fast acting carbs give you this insta energy that goes nowhere so it will quickly be turned to fat.
    If you don't get enough protein, you may lose muscle mass instead of fat mass.
    Exercise helps your cells accept insulin and helps your body use fat for energy.

As a diabetic, I personally would not fare as well if most of my calories come from carbs.

So people with a normal insulin response who exercise and/or cut calories will have a different experience than those who, like myself, are insulin resistant and/or don't exercise.

So a calorie is just a unit of energy, but for different bodies, carbs, proteins and fats may be processed differently.

If you have something that works for you, congrats, go with that.

But yeah, this is old news.
    Um, reading the article helps. It's actually about feeling satiated.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Evidence that this is the case, please?

Evidence will be in probably 10 years when your suffering from IBS, inflammation of this that and the other.

For god sack eat healthy food as well.

Junks great in moderation,

You can live off the stuff exercise enough and you'll burn all the glucose it turns into so you won't get fat but man it gives you nothing in return,
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

...... So a guy who has 50 lbs to lose and admits he is "not fit" comes to a calorie tracking website and tells a bunch of athletic, low-bodyfat people who have reached and maintained their goal weight for years that we work too hard at eating?

I humbly suggest that it is YOU who works too hard at eating, which explains why you have 50 lbs to lose.