A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Wanted to see how other diets stack up.

And I'll be honest not that impressed with MFP.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

Our diets don't have cute names like "primal" with a list of "good" and "bad" foods.

And yes, you do appear a bit naive and uneducated about food. But it's OK. You're new. Keep reading the forums and you'll learn a lot, and hopefully you will be able to find more success than "0 pounds lost."

Sorry it's not 0lbs lost.

Didn't fill all the information in.

I like to lose my weight hassle free!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. What is the ONE common denominator of all of the thousands of diet books that you've read or heard about?

Less calories and/or more exercise=calories in versus calorie out.
    DING DING DING, and that's a big 10-4 good buddy!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    'move more, eat less = weight loss.'

I hate seeing this, because in most cases, the more you move, the more you should be eating. We all have it in our heads that we have to move more and eat less, but the more weight I've lost the more I've had to eat because the more I move.

Our bodies are like cars, they don't go far on little gas.

You make a good point. Although, in the case of the beginners who are obese or very overweight, it's almost always the case.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    all you people saying you lost weight reducing calories, great for you, but you'd look and feel better if your calories came from better sources. my weight loss was slower and i looked "soft" eating whatever i wanted for my calories, even though i kept them low, like 1200-1400. then i found i could eat up to 1800-2000 calories of good, clean, non-processed foods, without gaining, and i look a lot leaner then when i was still eating junk. plus, why in the hell would you want to fuel your body with pizza, ice cream and soda? that is not fuel to me. i have always liked the term "empty calories" because frankly that's what they are. you aren't benefiting your brain or organs very much when you eat crap. plus not to mention you are supporting the food giants who care NOTHING about you and only about profit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    'move more, eat less = weight loss.'

I hate seeing this, because in most cases, the more you move, the more you should be eating. We all have it in our heads that we have to move more and eat less, but the more weight I've lost the more I've had to eat because the more I move.

Our bodies are like cars, they don't go far on little gas.

You make a good point. Although, in the case of the beginners who are obese or very overweight, it's almost always the case.

You are correct and I should have stated that. Thanks!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

By educated you of course mean the story made up that cherrypicks a bit of research (generally from low level, low respect journals) that somewhat supports it (ignoring all the stuff that doesn't) despite rejecting and downright laughing at the "wrong" mainstream establishment interpretation of said research and all other research.

Who's the naïve one?

You think that Mark, a suppliment salesman, gets it right, while thousands of pH level nutrition researchers are wrong. Gotcha.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, go figure.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    To whoever said I get a lot of good advice that I refuse to take...

Go back to my post that started this thread, did I ask for advice?

No, I did not... I was simply sharing something I had read and got attacked for it.

I haven't read every post on this thread because it gets really old hearing the same thing over and over and over basically telling you you're stupid.

I thought this site was meant for support. There are a lot different ways you could approach this....
    that's all. I'm out now so have fun going in circles I'm done reading

I think the site is for support, I just don't think the people on it are very supportive.

It was a great article.

I know you're not looking for advise, but I would suggest looking into the science behind it a bit more as understanding how the body works will make your eat decision better.

Don't pay too much attention to what advice you get anyway.

It's always better when you find the answers for yourself.

Good luck on your journey.

Don't pay attention to the people who have LOST weight on this site, but pay attention to the one guy who didn't...seems legit.

You guys really seem narrow minded.

This is my first experience with MFP - are you a cult?
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVqz8DY0mh9LTLwKJ0jAGdECY9tdnk5zxa6VgRUldQGFaGYTC2qg

My Mogwai does this every night. Sneaky ****

Does your mogwai ever get wet? You're not supposed to get it wet.

I'm naughty, sometimes I even feed it after midnight...
    its better when they go all beastly anyway!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    all you people saying you lost weight reducing calories, great for you, but you'd look and feel better if your calories came from better sources. my weight loss was slower and i looked "soft" eating whatever i wanted for my calories, even though i kept them low, like 1200-1400. then i found i could eat up to 1800-2000 calories of good, clean, non-processed foods, without gaining, and i look a lot leaner then when i was still eating junk. plus, why in the hell would you want to fuel your body with pizza, ice cream and soda? that is not fuel to me. i have always liked the term "empty calories" because frankly that's what they are. you aren't benefiting your brain or organs very much when you eat crap. plus not to mention you are supporting the food giants who care NOTHING about you and only about profit.

I look and feel great. None of us said that ALL we eat is junk. We don't only eat junk. We eat ALLZ the food. Healthy and junk. A nice little combo. Something that fits into our lifestyle so we can eat what we love.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    ztiu08.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Our diets don't have cute names like "primal" with a list of "good" and "bad" foods.

And yes, you do appear a bit naive and uneducated about food. But it's OK. You're new. Keep reading the forums and you'll learn a lot, and hopefully you will be able to find more success than "0 pounds lost."

Well OK. You need a list of good and bad foods. I guess I can understand that. Not everyone can deal with the freedom of being able to eat any food they want but also the pressure of making it fit their nutritional goals. Some need the crutch of someone else telling them what specific foods to eat.

Maybe one day you'll be fit and lose those 50 lbs. Good luck
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

oh, i see... weight loss magic!

Oddly enough, I have much less hassle in life because I eat on mcdonald's occasionally
  • jonnythan
    Options
    you'd look and feel better if your calories came from better sources.

Aw thanks.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I eat primal.

By educated you of course mean the story made up that cherrypicks a bit of research (generally from low level, low respect journals) that somewhat supports it (ignoring all the stuff that doesn't) despite rejecting and downright laughing at the "wrong" mainstream establishment interpretation of said research and all other research.

Who's the naïve one?

You think that Mark, a suppliment salesman, gets it right, while thousands of pH level nutrition researchers are wrong. Gotcha.

Never go to just one source of information the best way to get information is to go through multiple sources.

Or maybe just do everything people on MFP say?? Is that what you mean?
  • jonnythan
    Options

No, I did not... I was simply sharing something I had read and got attacked for it.

I haven't read every post on this thread because it gets really old hearing the same thing over and over and over basically telling you you're stupid.

I thought this site was meant for support. There are a lot different ways you could approach this....

I think the site is for support, I just don't think the people on it are very supportive.

It was a great article.

I know you're not looking for advise, but I would suggest looking into the science behind it a bit more as understanding how the body works will make your eat decision better.

Don't pay too much attention to what advice you get anyway.

It's always better when you find the answers for yourself.

Good luck on your journey.

Don't pay attention to the people who have LOST weight on this site, but pay attention to the one guy who didn't...seems legit.

Says the guy eating a restrictive fad diet and telling all the people who have achieved what he only dreams of achieving by eating a wide variety of foods in a responsible manner.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Never go to just one source of information the best way to get information is to go through multiple sources.

"Several different primal diet sites" doesn't count as "multiple sources."

Just FYI.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Most of us had probably forgotten about you until just now.

Go forth and enjoy your 900 calorie days. I'll continue to enjoy my 1900 calorie days. With cookies.

Actually that was mean. Instant regret.

OP, this is my story so far. I've lost almost thirty pounds while keeping my calories above 1600 (often much higher.) And I've always allowed for "junk" and basically eat whatever, so long as the macros look right. I practice what I preach and then back it up with pictures. I'm nothing special (just a short chick who doesn't want to be fat) and I'm not doing anything hard or special or magic. Calories in < Calories out, calories = Calories, eat a bit less and move a bit more.

Simple concepts that work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1193569-cookies-taste-better-than-skinny-feels
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This is my first experience with MFP - are you a cult?

Eat in moderation, at a calorie deficit, including a good amount of whole foods, but also including foods with somewhat lower nutritional value.

OR

Eat from a specific list of foods, made up by someone who wants to copy the diet of primitive ancestors, when it wasn't really how they ate anyway, plus they only lived to 40 anyway.

Which is plan is more "narrow minded"?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I eat primal.

oh, i see... weight loss magic!

Oddly enough, I have much less hassle in life because I eat on mcdonald's occasionally

Sorry I must have been mistake, I though you lost weight by eating mainly junk?

Or have you sneakily been eating healthy stuff.

There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.