A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.

It appears that she hasn't consistently followed ANY diet from the evidence from her other posts? She's all over the board.

So? Weight loss isn't easy and people stumble. I have. Willing to bet you have too. If she's struggling that just means she needs even more support good advice to follow.

Oh, and I totally agree with that. I wasn't judging her; I was stating an observation on what perspective she's coming from.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

You guys really seem narrow minded.

This is my first experience with MFP - are you a cult?

Eat in moderation, at a calorie deficit, including a good amount of whole foods, but also including foods with somewhat lower nutritional value.

OR

Eat from a specific list of foods, made up by someone who wants to copy the diet of primitive ancestors, when it wasn't really how they ate anyway, plus they only lived to 40 anyway.

Which is plan is more "narrow minded"?

Not sure which diet your referring to but it's not primal?

The other day I ate a whole cookie - would you get away with eating a whole carrot?

You seriously seem to believe that people who enjoy "unhealthy" food simply don't eat vegetables or whatever.

This one time, on a dare, I stuck a whole celery stick in my mouth
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Do you even science?

Strong first post...for real!

Great bikini...for real.....go M!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Wanted to see how other diets stack up.

And I'll be honest not that impressed with MFP.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

By educated you of course mean the story made up that cherrypicks a bit of research (generally from low level, low respect journals) that somewhat supports it (ignoring all the stuff that doesn't) despite rejecting and downright laughing at the "wrong" mainstream establishment interpretation of said research and all other research.

Who's the naïve one?

You think that Mark, a suppliment salesman, gets it right, while thousands of pH level nutrition researchers are wrong. Gotcha.

Never go to just one source of information the best way to get information is to go through multiple sources.

Or maybe just do everything people on MFP say?? Is that what you mean?

So, because we're saying: eat a calorie deficit, eat any type of foods at moderation, weigh foods to be accurate, and we've been doing this for a while, doing our research, and we've all been successful at it, we don't know what we're talking about? And you, who is following a fad diet that is not nutritionally sound, still has weight to lose, and hasn't done the research, want to discount everything we're saying? Why are you even in the forums?

I don't know.

I kinda stumbled in and now I'm hooked.

One of your members posted an article which does not in anyway state that what you are doing will not be successful, they just explained how the food you consume is dealt with by your bodies and a lot of you have just dismissed it because it does not fit into the paradigm you have been told.

Believe it or not the earth is not flat.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Eat in moderation, at a calorie deficit, including a good amount of whole foods, but also including foods with somewhat lower nutritional value.

OR

Eat from a specific list of foods, made up by someone who wants to copy the diet of primitive ancestors, when it wasn't really how they ate anyway, plus they only lived to 40 anyway.

The other day I ate a whole cookie - would you get away with eating a whole carrot?

That's probably because they got ate by the dinosaurs! Sorry, had to bring a little humor into this heated debate. LOL!

I don't think there were any dinosaurs where around in Palaeolithic times????
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    a lot of you have just dismissed it because it does not fit into the paradigm you have been told.

Told by whom? We're not the ones following fad diets based on some book.

Seriously, stick around and read more. MFP is full of people whoa re extremely scientifically literate and do a lot of reading of primary research (that is, actual peer-reviewed scientific journal articles). MFP, as a community, greatly respects actual primary science and evidence, as opposed to diet books and websites. We eschew all these diet fads and books like primal et al. because they are nonsense based on faulty science or misinformation.

We don't dismiss the information because it doesn't fit what we've been "told." We dismiss the information because we know the whole story. We dismiss the information because we can identify the flaws in logic, the gaps in knowledge, and the misinformation.

There's a pretty big difference.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

By educated you of course mean the story made up that cherrypicks a bit of research (generally from low level, low respect journals) that somewhat supports it (ignoring all the stuff that doesn't) despite rejecting and downright laughing at the "wrong" mainstream establishment interpretation of said research and all other research.

Who's the naïve one?

You think that Mark, a suppliment salesman, gets it right, while thousands of pH level nutrition researchers are wrong. Gotcha.

Never go to just one source of information the best way to get information is to go through multiple sources.

So, because we're saying: eat a calorie deficit, eat any type of foods at moderation, weigh foods to be accurate, and we've been doing this for a while, doing our research, and we've all been successful at it, we don't know what we're talking about? And you, who is following a fad diet that is not nutritionally sound, still has weight to lose, and hasn't done the research, want to discount everything we're saying? Why are you even in the forums?

I don't know.

One of your members posted an article which does not in anyway state that what you are doing will not be successful, they just explained how the food you consume is dealt with by your bodies and a lot of you have just dismissed it because it does not fit into the paradigm you have been told.

How is sayng a calorie is not a calorie not a true? It's a unit of energy. It's like saying an ohm is not an ohm. Or a watt is not a watt.
    Regardless of the source, it;s just a unit of measurement. Maybe it's a guy thing? An inch really is an inch. That's a confusing one, sometimes.....:happy:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Who's the naïve one?

I don't know.

That article is crap, with constant contradictions and nothing cited. Crap is crap is crap.

As it would happen calories are calories are calorie so the title of this thread? Also crap.

Macros and nutrition are a separate (though related) issue. But the thread didn't state "All food choices aren't equal" or "The Body doesn't break down all macronutrients the same." It says a calorie isn't a calorie. And that's false.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

OR

That's probably because they got ate by the dinosaurs! Sorry, had to bring a little humor into this heated debate. LOL!

Clearly there were because. .. Flintstones
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

OR

Carrots are gross tho. Cookies are tasty. Sounds like one of us is getting screwed in this scenario.

Yeah but I have my carrots cooked in scrummy butter. Along with my wine and chocolate (not in butter though).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Yet you partake in the religion of earth flatness (paleo/primal), one of the main schticks being that the roundess of the earth is a big corporate dupe, and that all mainstream scientists who believe the world is round are wrong.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

OR

Clearly there were because. .. Flintstones

You are quite right and the women were hot!!!!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Yet you partake in the religion of earth flatness (paleo/primal), one of the main schticks being that the roundess of the earth is a big corporate dupe, and that all mainstream scientists who believe the world is round are wrong.

?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Sorry I must have been mistake, I though you lost weight by eating mainly junk?

Or have you sneakily been eating healthy stuff.

There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.

I don't see where anyone said they were mainly eating junk. Maybe I missed it. I believe we are all eating a mix of foods. Because there are no bad foods.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.

Except it proves the opposite, which you would know if you got your information from multiple diverse sources and actually had some experience and knowledge in the subject of nutrition and weight loss.

Okay, what nutrition would you get from a burger and fries from MacDonalds????

Med Fries:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fast-foods-generic/8054/2

Calcium - 19.9 mg - 2%
    Iron - 1.0 mg - 6%
    Magnesium - 37.4 mg - 9%
    Phosphorus - 154 mg - 15%
    Potassium - 655 mg - 19%
    Sodium - 266 mg -11%
    Zinc - 0.5 mg - 3%
    Copper - 0.1 mg 7%
    Manganese -0.3 mg - 13%
    Vitamin C - 8.5 mg - 14%
    Thiamin - 0.4 mg - 26%
    Niacin - 3.2 mg - 16%
    Vitamin B6 - 0.6 mg - 30%
    Folate - 70.2mcg - 18%
    Pantothenic Acid - 0.8 mg - 8%

Plus protein, carbs (fiber) and fat

Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fast-foods-generic/8051/2
  • pritam_pyare
    Options
    Even I couldn't make out why is everyone so critical about the article...
    It's pretty decent and very much the truth...that's what we've been taught from school isn't it
    Balanced diet, include protiens less of sugar,...etc
    I read first two pages of response and was hoping at least 1 person would back him.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

This is very interesting. :smile:

"newish" person over here, sorry!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

OR

Carrots are gross tho. Cookies are tasty. Sounds like one of us is getting screwed in this scenario.

Yeah but I have my carrots cooked in scrummy butter. Along with my wine and chocolate (not in butter though).

Still gross
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

?

Perhaps you don't understand nutrition and where paleo/primal fits in as well as you think you do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    all you people saying you lost weight reducing calories, great for you, but you'd look and feel better if your calories came from better sources. my weight loss was slower and i looked "soft" eating whatever i wanted for my calories, even though i kept them low, like 1200-1400. then i found i could eat up to 1800-2000 calories of good, clean, non-processed foods, without gaining, and i look a lot leaner then when i was still eating junk. plus, why in the hell would you want to fuel your body with pizza, ice cream and soda? that is not fuel to me. i have always liked the term "empty calories" because frankly that's what they are. you aren't benefiting your brain or organs very much when you eat crap. plus not to mention you are supporting the food giants who care NOTHING about you and only about profit.

Here's a little news flash...the vast majority of us who eat "junk" food and pizza, etc...we don't make that stuff the bulk of our diets. I would assume there are a handful of people who do, but the vast majority of us eat very nutrient dense diets...I myself get around 6-8 servings of vegetables per day and a couple servings of fruit...I get most of my fats from things like nuts, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, etc...I eat lots of lean proteins including fish 2-3 times per week...and I eat whole oats and other whole grains...

I also eat regular old wheat flour tortillas on a regular basis because they are a staple food in NM. I eat quite a bit of regular old semolina flour pasta...I eat pizza at my favorite local pizzeria pretty much every Friday night with the family and make a pilgrimage to the Urban Hot Dog Company for a big old polish sausage and basket of fries at least a couple times per month. I eat ice cream a couple of times per week and regularly indulge in dark chocolate. I drink the occasional full sugar soda and I love beer and bourbon.

The point being that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition and this is what gets lost on so many people. All of these arguments are the same...and compare 100% "clean eating" or whatever to 100% junk food eating...the truth is that comparison is pretty stupid because nobody thrives really on 100% junk food and I've yet to meat anyone who is actually 100% "clean" 100% of the time either.