Spinning my wheels

Options
Hey

So as the title indicates I feel like im spinning my wheels in the gym at the moment , I have been lifting weights for a few months now and strength gains have been minimal, I had to deload after the gym being closed for 8 days over christmas so im still trying to get strength up from that break

heres the big problem though , ive developed a massive mental fear of gaining weight. I know its silly but I actually cant shift the irratic thoughts so to make sure i dont gain weight i have been continuing to make sure i get cardio in most days ive actually reduced this to 5 days now from 6 so i have made some progress
i run at least 5k everyday , try to run in the morning now and lift in the evening
i have been trying to up calories for several months now , my original goal weight was 120Ibs then 110Ibs , I am now 101Ibs and pretty much still at the same intake even though i should be working my way up to maintainance calories
I do good for a day or 2 where i will get my cals up and then bam I land back down to in around 1450-1500 caloryies

how do i find a balance ? i really want to progress in the weights room but it aint happening probably because im not eating enough i dont know

i just want to find a healthy balance but im really struggling I know cardio wont give me the body i want but my fear is really holding me back in the strength room

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Strength gains will come in time. When you lift use a weight where you can do at least 6 reps but no more than 12 and repeat that about 4 times for every lift you do. Also make sure you are getting adequate protein because you need that for gains. If you are concerned about not having enough calories try to find foods that have a higher calorie content. I don't know how tall you are but 101 lbs sounds a little low. 105-110 lbs might be a healthier weight for of you. Use the tracker and find the balance between exercise and food. I say gain a few lbs then find the right balance to maintain it. Everyones body is different so you have to figure it out by your own observation.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 , so fairly small ..
    I make sure I get adequate protein every day normally 100-110g
    Will strength gains be more difficult in a calorie deficit anyway?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 , so fairly small ..
    I make sure I get adequate protein every day normally 100-110g
    Will strength gains be more difficult in a calorie deficit anyway?

You may get stronger....but you will not put on size....

What are your stats??
    age, weight, gender
  • MACnificence
    Options
    24 female 101Ibs
  • Dsanders460
    Dsanders460 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. Every pound of muscle that you put on in the gym burns FAR more calories than a pound of fat ever thought of! Most women do not naturally bulk up just by lifting weights. It is not in our body chemistry. One of my male friends talked me into switching out of the lower weight high rep, into his 5X5 routine. 5 sets of 5 reps. Start at a weight you are comfortable with, if by the 5th rep you are not struggling, move up for the next set. I actually saw much faster gains in strength that way than I EVER did with the higher reps. I also generally stay away from the machines and try to use the dumbells and free weights whenever possible, machines do not engage all the little stabilizer muscles that free weights will.

Now if I just had your dedication to running I could happily eat more calories and still lose weight, but no matter hwo much I wish it could be, running is not my friend :(

Oh, and if you do a quick cardio warm up ( 10 minutes or so to get your heart rate up), just before you lift, then take only very short ( less than 60 seconds) recovery breaks, then you burn more calories while you lift.

And as far as getting in more calories, if I were in your shoes, I would probably switch to a minimum of 2% milk and even body building forums will tell you that a glass of chocolate milk is just as effective as most protein shakes as a post workout drink. A nice cold 12 oz glass of chocolate milk will give you an extra 270 calories the way I make it, maybe more if you like yours extra chocolatey... A yummy and easy way to add extra calories and some extra protein.

Good luck and congrats on your hard work and results so far!
  • MityMax96
    Options

i have been trying to up calories for several months now , my original goal weight was 120Ibs then 110Ibs , I am now 101Ibs and pretty much still at the same intake even though i should be working my way up to maintainance calories
    I do good for a day or 2 where i will get my cals up and then bam I land back down to in around 1450-1500 caloryies

how do i find a balance ? i really want to progress in the weights room but it aint happening probably because im not eating enough i dont know

i just want to find a healthy balance but im really struggling I know cardio wont give me the body i want but my fear is really holding me back in the strength room

Wow, ok you are very tiny.....

The only way you are gonna be able to tell is if you are keeping track of things.

Actually eat at maintenance calories, whatever they are......
    Take measurements, not just on the scale......

Do it for 4 weeks, and then assess.....see where you are....how do you feel.....those kinda of things.
    Then tweak your goals as needed.

30 days will give you an idea of which way you are going and if you want to keep going....you still have another 326 days left in the year to tweak and correct.

You need to get a handle on the mental aspect....no need to give yourself some eating disorder or fear of food
  • MityMax96
    Options
    24 female 101Ibs

Your TDEE should be around 1700 cal/ day
    If you were at 115 lbs, you would be about 1770 - 1800
    I am assuming 5 days a week in exercise
  • MACnificence
    Options
    I actually have no problem eating more food , I've a great appetite its the mental fear of regaining weight that is stopping me eating more.

Ya I exercise 5 days , run every morning and lift 3 days

I know I wont bulk up I'm not afraid of gaining muscle at all , I would like to gain muscle but to add muscle you need to gain fat and that's where my mind won't co operate

I genuinely think my body fat is not at an appropriate spot to start bulking anyway I could def do with losing some more fat mainly around my stomach area but I know you can't spot reduce my problem is though the rest of me is suffering , I've basically lost all shape at this stage so I know strength training is the only way I can get some shape back

My biggest problem is upping calories so I can make that progress in the strength room

I have a massive fear of regaining weight even though I live a complete different lifestyle now I can't shift these stupid feelings
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I think you need to come to grips with your eating and do it quick before it gets worse......

Don't be afraid to eat...
    From what you described, it sounds like you are very active, so eating more is not gonna be a problem.

Like I said, up your calories....at least to where maintenance is for you.....
    Do it for a month, and see where you are......

One of the problems you could be running into is the fact you are exercising a lot but not eating enough for your body and you have been doing it for so long it is causing you problems.

100 lbs is pretty small, even at 5'1"
    My youngest son, 8 yrs old.....is like over 70 pounds.....and he ain't 5 feet.....

I would definitely try at least a month doing 1650 - 1700 calories
    1.0 gr protein / lb of body weight
    0.4 gr fat / lb of body weight (minimum)
    And carbs can make up the remainder of your needed calories
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The only way to gain muscle is to lift weights and eat clean /high protein, as a former powerlifted in my youth , I am so grateful that I had a bunch of bad *kitten* guys pushing me in the gym , now 30 years later I am grateful, lifted so heavy when I was young before **** started hurting ect( had shoulder surgery a few back. Do it while you can , while your body allows you to gain muscle, which is way more sexy than skinny fat. goodluck sweetie
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So you are having troubles making yourself eat at maintenance? Is this the problem?

Keep some high calorie food around the house. If you find you are low in the evening have a bowl of ice cream, or a protein shake or something. You are going to just have to force yourself. You won't gain at maintenance (besides a couple of pounds of water and/or glycogen). Focus on maintenance for a while, then you can decide if you want to eat above that for strength or muscle gains.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I actually have no problem eating more food , I've a great appetite its the mental fear of regaining weight that is stopping me eating more.

I know I wont bulk up I'm not afraid of gaining muscle at all , I would like to gain muscle but to add muscle you need to gain fat and that's where my mind won't co operate

I genuinely think my body fat is not at an appropriate spot to start bulking anyway I could def do with losing some more fat mainly around my stomach area but I know you can't spot reduce my problem is though the rest of me is suffering , I've basically lost all shape at this stage so I know strength training is the only way I can get some shape back

My biggest problem is upping calories so I can make that progress in the strength room

I have a massive fear of regaining weight even though I live a complete different lifestyle now I can't shift these stupid feelings

Be careful. It sounds to me like you might be developing an ED. Please talk to someone about this before it gets out of hand.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Here is the thing, to gain muscle, you will have to feed your body and gain weight. I'm 5'2" and currently 140, but have been as low as 125 in the past year when I was approximately 20% BF. One thing that I realized is that it isn't the number on the scale that dictates how a person looks. That comes from body composition.

Here is a great link that illustrates that point:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

As for your mental outlook, I agree that if you are unable to move past the fear of gaining weight and it is preventing you from achieving your goals, you may want to look at talking to a medical professional. You know what needs to be done, but you won't let yourself do it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you have some disordered thinking around food fear of gaining weight. You are also underweight. Please speak with a professional about the issues.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Ya im really struggling with this fear i have, i have tried several times to eat more and as i mentioned i do good for a day or 2 and then go back to restricting and cutting calories where i can again
    my doctor expressed concern about my weight before and i was heavier then so im afraid to go see her again , she told me to focus on maintainance at that stage and considering ive lost weight since i feel like ive let her down
    to be honest i dont feel like i can talk to a professional about it, ill clam up and more than likely just cry and not be able to tell them

its frustrating because I do want to be able to lift heavy , but this mental fear is prohibiting my progress i feel

and I 100% agree its not about the scale weight , I just wish i could drill that into my own head Im just petrified of ever being that overweight girl again
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to talk to someone. Even if you cry you need to talk to them. It's time to get help.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Yeah, you need to talk to someone. Even if you cry you need to talk to them. It's time to get help.

I just dont feel strong enough to talk to someone about it , i keep feeling ill get this under control myself
    I feel embarassed about it, i know my thinking isnt rational
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I just dont feel strong enough to talk to someone about it , i keep feeling ill get this under control myself

I had a problem once, and I didn't want to talk to anyone because every time I thought about it I would start crying. But it didn't get better, in fact it got worse. So I went in and cried. And you know what? It wasn't the end of the world and I got the help I needed. It really is OK to stop pretending that you are OK. :flowerforyou:
  • MACnificence
    Options

I had a problem once, and I didn't want to talk to anyone because every time I thought about it I would start crying. But it didn't get better, in fact it got worse. So I went in and cried. And you know what? It wasn't the end of the world and I got the help I needed. It really is OK to stop pretending that you are OK. :flowerforyou:

I am genuinely afraid to say it out loud! I dont want to be the girl who took her weight loss too far
    Ive always been known for being so well grounded and Im very common sense driven usually, i mean people come to me if they need a reality check , this is why im so confused at my feelings now, i would have never imagined id feel this way
    id absolutely hate for any of my family to find out
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I am genuinely afraid to say it out loud! I dont want to be the girl who took her weight loss too far
    Ive always been known for being so well grounded and Im very common sense driven usually, i mean people come to me if they need a reality check , this is why im so confused at my feelings now, i would have never imagined id feel this way
    id absolutely hate for any of my family to find out

I know. That's exactly how I felt too. I felt out of control and it was awful. I felt like my whole family was judging me. They weren't though. It was my thinking that was off and I needed help to get it straightened out, because I just couldn't get a handle on it myself. I'm guessing you are like me - we like to feel we are in control. Controlling your food intake is protecting you from the fear of gaining weight. You know it is hurting you, yet you feel powerless to find a way out of it. There IS a way out, but you need to go and get some help. No one in your family needs to know anything about it if you don't want them to.