I miss food

Options

Replies

• momtastic2014
    Options
    I miss...chips and salsa. Chips and Guac. F lamming Cheetos. More than one dinky ounce of cheese. Potatoes with cheese and salsa and onions and peppers..a whole baked one. Ice cream. Cashews. Damn I really miss cashews. Nuts. Peanut butter. One spoon is pathetic. Hummus. Chick Peas out of the can. Cheese enchilada. Eggplant Parm. Garlic bread with cheese. Eggs with cheese, peppers, onions, diced potatoes and salsa scrambled. Hash browns.

Talk dirty to me....
    Lol :-)
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

You don't lose the cravings - but I have found that some things taste differently now and they are not as appealing as they once were. Now I don't eat some of the stuff I craved because I am afraid of ruining my memories of its previous deliciousness
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    just wanted to point out that if you aren't loading it with tons of salt, guacamole is very healthy for you.& you can make low fat/fat free chips by baking corn tortillas cut into strips in the oven until crispy. You can save a lot of calories.

Personally I'm on the fence because things like chips, I would never buy because someone in my house (probably me) is going to get lazy and instead of cooking just nom down the chips. Every once in a while, i dunno twice a month maybe?, it won't kill you. Just control your calories :)
  • cm2owl
    cm2owl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love when people say, 'just eat whatever you want, but just eat it in moderation.'

Do they tell alcoholics to 'drink, just drink in moderation' or coke heads to 'just do one line at the party'?

:noway:
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    At 50:58 is a very powerful slide. The guy has shown through experimentation that changing the same number of calories from 10% fat to 70% fat made no difference in body weight.

This explains why there is this constant fight on these forums between the people who constantly harp that "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" against those who are certain that it is not so.

It is so. The problem is it doesn't feel like it. If you switch to less palatable or less calorie dense foods you can influence your weight loss.

Sadly, according to this guy, it's generally not sustainable.
    I wasn't suggesting a higher fat macro making weight loss faster. It is just in my personal experience on the days I find myself craving sweets it have been low on fats in my diet. On days I keep my fats up at 50% or more I find that the cravings are controllable.

Again this is just my experience but it may be worth a try.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    At 50:58 is a very powerful slide. The guy has shown through experimentation that changing the same number of calories from 10% fat to 70% fat made no difference in body weight.

This explains why there is this constant fight on these forums between the people who constantly harp that "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" against those who are certain that it is not so.

It is so. The problem is it doesn't feel like it. If you switch to less palatable or less calorie dense foods you can influence your weight loss.

Sadly, according to this guy, it's generally not sustainable.
    I wasn't suggesting a higher fat macro making weight loss faster. It is just in my personal experience on the days I find myself craving sweets it have been low on fats in my diet. On days I keep my fats up at 50% or more I find that the cravings are controllable.

Again this is just my experience but it may be worth a try.
    When your fats are at 50% what are your carbs and protein at?
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Carbs 20 protein 30

Edit to add I hit my fiber @25g daily at least.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

No I know that this was not directed at you.

One of the common weight loss themes of late is the idea that eating a low-carb diet is itself somehow conducive to weight loss. This has contributed to this idea that "sugar" is somehow "bad". The slide indicates that in terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Your body doesn't care what the fat/carb/whatever makeup of the food is in terms of weight loss.

However, this guy affirms what I and others have long known - eating tempting calorie dense foods makes it very easy to overeat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Carbs 20 protein 30
    Thanks.

I find when my fats are higher and when my carbs come mostly from vegetables that I don't get the munchies much either.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I eat all the items you've mentioned (except the nuts...can't have 'em) and have lost almost 40 lbs. since joining MFP. The key is portion control. To deprive yourself of what you love is to set yourself up for failure, imo. For example, like you, I love Lindt Truffles. I now buy the extra dark chocolate and have ONE truffle when the craving hits, not three or four as before.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

:noway:

Good luck with that.

Again - why live like that when you can have the foods you love and enjoy life a whole lot more AND lose the fat and have a fit, healthy body? :huh:

I just don't get it.

This.

This squared.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    You know what I miss? English muffins with Nutella, but I'm sore from shoveling snow and it will be about two minutes before we are reunited for breakfast.
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Work out a bit more and factor these foods into your daily allowance! Not all in one day, but spread your favourite treats out over the week...I'd go mad if I didn't! I have eaten my naughtiest, yummiest treat foods (in moderation) and have still lost 52lbs in just over a year! Do it and be happy :) It's not about depriving yourself, it's about changing your mentality and lifestyle.x
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I did weigh and measure my food for 5 months. Yes, once I blow my diet, I don't log. What is the point once you've blown it? [/unquote]

This is a fine example of 'all-or-nothing' type thinking. I battled this thinking in all areas of my life for many years. If I couldn't do something perfect, then why even try at all.

For years I would do the 'starve for a few days, lose a few pounds, eat something I wasn't supposed to, say, "oh well, I have blown it now so I may as well eat everything I want and start over next week" and next week never comes, cycle'. It is so tiring and frustrating.

Now, I can have a day when I eat a couple of things off plan, think I have blown the day, but when I sit down and log it, I realize I haven't gone over my cals after all, and can still salvage the day. Even if I HAVE gone over my goal, I haven't gone over my maintenance level. So there really has been no damage at all, just a small delay. If I say screw it and go finish off the bag of chips, THEN I can do some major damage.

I have learned a lot about Back and White thinking over the past few years, and learning to break that thinking has been extremely helpful in many areas of my life, not just eating.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

No I know that this was not directed at you.

One of the common weight loss themes of late is the idea that eating a low-carb diet is itself somehow conducive to weight loss. This has contributed to this idea that "sugar" is somehow "bad". The slide indicates that in terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Your body doesn't care what the fat/carb/whatever makeup of the food is in terms of weight loss.

However, this guy affirms what I and others have long known - eating tempting calorie dense foods makes it very easy to overeat.
    I will never a argue that it isn't easy to over eat sweet cal dense foods. What I will argue is the sweet cal dense foods don't have to control you.

I love sleep and if I let myself I would be able to sleep 15+ hours a day. I choose not to let my enjoyment of sleep run my life. I set an alarm clock, and drink coffee in the morning. The alarm clock is the limit I choose and the coffee is the way I help myself adhere to that limit. I still enjoy my sleep but I also am able to have a productive day. I can't realistically remove sleep from my life and be a happy person but it took a long time for me to bring be to a basic 8hour sleep schedule.

This is the same with sweet cal dense foods. You need to employ an "alarm clock" to cue when you should stop and find a coping mechanism to help you stick to it.

You can't realistically go the rest of your life never eating things you truly enjoy. You can, if you train yourself, enjoy these things in moderation. Maybe daily moderation won't work for you because you need to feel stuffed by these foods and that's fine. It is also moderation if you choose once a month to enjoy one day to complete abandon. The catch is the next day you must get back on track.

I hope you don't find this preachy it is just my rambling thoughts.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You can't realistically go the rest of your life never eating things you truly enjoy.

Which is why, long term, most attempts at weight loss fail.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    You can't realistically go the rest of your life never eating things you truly enjoy.

Which is why, long term, most attempts at weight loss fail.
    You seem to only reply to the negative and not to the possible solutions. I wish you all the best, but I can't take the emphasis you put on why it can't be done. I'm out.:flowerforyou:
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I dunno. I hate the idea of deprivation but not everyone is great at moderation. I'm not, and would rather exercise lots to allow me to consume vast quantities of the foods I love everyday.

If you are on a restrictive diet (as I once was) it only really works if you cut out a lot of calorie dense foods. Nuts and cereals are major weaknesses and I went months without any. Of course. once I reached my goal weight, the bingeing began and yo-yo dieting commenced. Now that I'm not dieting anymore and have a massive calorie allowance, it's easier to eat all these foods but realistically if I wanted to lose the 10lbs I've gained I'd have to cut them out temporarily.

People have different eating habits - I for one don't particularly need variety in my diet and would rather eat lots of one thing I really like and forgo other stuff.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    But your estimates are way off the experience of other people who weigh as much or less than you. I think you should at least try 2000 calories a day and see what happens. I found that my weight loss/gain was a bit broader banded than a strict calories in - calories out would suggest.

MFP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    TDEE: 2740
    Recommended deficit to achieve 2 pounds per week: 1050
    Recommended daily intake: 1690

Sarauk2sf
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    Based on a 30 pound weight loss over 219 days consuming on average 1800 calories per day:
    TDEE: 2142
    Recommended deficit (20%): 428
    Recommended daily intake: 1714

Scooby
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    TDEE: 2757
    Recommended deficit (20%) to achieve 1 pound per week: 551
    Recommended daily intake: 2205

These three sources agree on a recommended daily intake within 500 calories. And Sara's calculations based on my actual weight loss agree with MFP within 24 calories. I'm afraid of eating more because I suspect the weight loss will be even more meager than I achieved over 30 weeks.
    [/quote]

Except that MFP does not calculate TDEE. It calculates NEAT. (calories not including exercise). 500 calories can mean the difference of you feeling deprived, and not feeling deprived. So, if you can do it with 500 more calories per day, why wouldn't you want to?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Does he propose a solution?

Answer is at about 49 minutes: "We don't know."

They have demonstrated (he talks about this just prior) that if you inject leptin back into the system to bring it up just to the pre-weight loss levels all of the symptoms of the weight loss are negated. Satiety is restored, metabolic function is restored.

Still watching.

There are very knowledgeable people here who are versed in this. Join the Eat, Train, Progress group, or the In Place of a Roadmap group.