Yet another reason to avoid Subway

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Subway bread tastes odd, that's why they have to mask it with herbs, cheese, garlic etc. I still eat there though. .
  • chickadee403
    Options
    Years ago I read that Subway had more instances of food poisoning that any other fast food chain in the nation. Apparently they have issues keeping their meat at cool enough of a temp, EWWW.
    Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain.
    Thanks to the letter grade system, we can avoid these sh*tholes.
    Gnarly.

I got food poisoning from my local subway store about 3 weeks after it opened. Later found out that the owners also owned the other subway store in town and a lot of people had been getting food poisoning from there too. Never eaten at the subways in town since. Would rather make my own sandwich.
  • luckygohappy
    luckygohappy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of subway while pregnant... does that mean my son's going to be super flexible?? :happy:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Subway bread tastes odd, that's why they have to mask it with herbs, cheese, garlic etc. I still eat there though. .

Only the Italian herbs and cheese bread is masked with these.
    (must admit that is my favourite)

The other breads are just plain unflavoured white, wholemeal and multigrain, and honey something, I think.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

I think it's sad that we class food additives as being "normal" these days. I wonder how humans ever survived when we could only eat food that came from nature and didn't have a chemical **** storm added to it.

Other bread preservatives such as 282 are strongly suspected to cause behavioural difficulties and learning difficulties in children, commonly misdiagnosed as ADHD.
    http://fedup.com.au/information/fin-campaigns/bread-preservative-research

I would kill for a thick slice of home baked bread dripping with home made butter right now :tongue:
    Yes, they survived without food additives, well, no not really. Most "food additives" are things that come from other food sources. Yeast was one of the first food additives, came from beer, was added to bread. Then came salt to preserve foods. Then in the 1950s people started becoming obsessed with lowering sodium, so they demanded ways to preserve foods that reduced sodium. Hence the plethora of preservatives we have today. They're there because human beings wanted them, and because we've developed the scientific abilities and intelligence to create them.

Of course, humans survived back then without houses, cars, computers and the internet also, so, I'm not sure how what people did thousands to millions of years ago is exactly relevant to today, anyway.

considering that until 100 years ago, people only had a life expectancy of 40-50 years, you'd think people would worry about something else that the fact that people used to eat differently. Obviously it didn't make them live longer.