Biggest Loser's Rachel Frederickson's 155 weight loss??

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this show was not to give out money. It was to teach, motivate, and inspire people to improve their health. She didn't do any of those things.
    [/quote]

I don't think so! If that show did not MAKE money it would not be on the air, no matter how many people it teaches, motivates, and inspires!
    [/quote]

^^I do agree with you, OP, on this one.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so surprised that a show that touts 20-30 lb losses per week as "GREAT" progress while a 5-8 lb loss in a week can be "bad" had a contestant take it too far on their own after leaving. It's the next natural step given the extremism of the entire program. I'm just hoping that she did it just for the money and will put some weight back on after as most of the winners of the show have done in the past intentionally.

Just in case some of you didn't really get a good look at her:

rachel-frederickson-dolvett-quince-the-biggest-loser.jpg

well, in that picture, i dont think she looks very good, does look gaunt. but in the clip of her in that dress standing next to her bigger self, i thought she looked fine.

The dress was baggy on her, and I think she wore it to hide a lot of the gauntness.

I can see her entire upper arm bone from the shoulder down to the elbow.

I get why she did it. $250k is a LOT of money, but I think that the show rewarding this kind of extreme dieting is the real problem. But then again, the whole show is about extremism. Extreme overtraining. Extreme undereating. Extreme weekly losses with no other metric than the scale.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I say let the lady have her reward and I am sure ABC is all smiles and giggles about all the controversy people are creating over it.

I don't even watch this show and I know it's on NBC not ABC! :noway:

I don't watch it either! NBC ABC CBS whichever...
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so surprised that a show that touts 20-30 lb losses per week as "GREAT" progress while a 5-8 lb loss in a week can be "bad" had a contestant take it too far on their own after leaving. It's the next natural step given the extremism of the entire program. I'm just hoping that she did it just for the money and will put some weight back on after as most of the winners of the show have done in the past intentionally.

Meh...she is literally 2.5 pounds away from being back in the ''normal'' range on the BMI. I'd go 2.5 pounds underweight to win that much money too. No biggie.

I don't buy that she's only 2-3 lbs underweight. She looks more like 10 or so lbs underweight. I don't believe her height has been accurately reported.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

^^Troof. If I ever lost eight pounds in a week when I was focusing on loss I probably would have crapped all over myself in complete shock.

Lol, me, too! Especially if I KNEW it wasn't water weight! Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!! :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this show was not to give out money. It was to teach, motivate, and inspire people to improve their health. She didn't do any of those things.

I don't think so! If that show did not MAKE money it would not be on the air, no matter how many people it teaches, motivates, and inspires!

The show makes money... my statement is the purpose wasn't to give it away. You really don't have a problem with the network exploiting this woman and encouraging her to develop an eating disorder? I mean, your justification is it was about the money.

That's exploitation!

I'm not condemning her as much as the show itself. But, it is really sad that she sold her health for $250k. Would it be okay if the network offered you a chance at winning $250k and all you had to do is expose yourself to carcinogens on a daily basis?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Jillian didn't even train her. Dovett did. While I think she does look a little too thin, she is shorter and 105lbs is probalby on the very low end but if she is definitely muscular. The controversy is crazy-people are so quick to jump all over everyone. SMH :grumble:

She's not muscular. At all.

^^There's that. No way to gain muscle on such an extreme deficit.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

well, in that picture, i dont think she looks very good, does look gaunt. but in the clip of her in that dress standing next to her bigger self, i thought she looked fine.

The dress was baggy on her, and I think she wore it to hide a lot of the gauntness.

I can see her entire upper arm bone from the shoulder down to the elbow.

I get why she did it. $250k is a LOT of money, but I think that the show rewarding this kind of extreme dieting is the real problem. But then again, the whole show is about extremism. Extreme overtraining. Extreme undereating. Extreme weekly losses with no other metric than the scale.

^^Yup.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

The show makes money... my statement is the purpose wasn't to give it away. You really don't have a problem with the network exploiting this woman and encouraging her to develop an eating disorder? I mean, your justification is it was about the money.

That's exploitation!

I'm not condemning her as much as the show itself. But, it is really sad that she sold her health for $250k. Would it be okay if the network offered you a chance at winning $250k and all you had to do is expose yourself to carcinogens on a daily basis?

That's what I keep reading all over this thread - that what she did is perfectly fine because she wanted to win the cash. OH OKAY THEN. By all means, starve yourself, it's cool.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    i think they should focus more on ruben now, because, he needs to lose some, his body has to be tired from all that weight.

Just want to make sure I'm following this....

It isn't ok to point out that SOME of us think Rachael is too thin

BUT

It is apparently ok to basically say Reuben didn't lose enough!

Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes. I think that's the takeaway message here. ha!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Meh...she is literally 2.5 pounds away from being back in the ''normal'' range on the BMI. I'd go 2.5 pounds underweight to win that much money too. No biggie.

I don't buy that she's only 2-3 lbs underweight. She looks more like 10 or so lbs underweight. I don't believe her height has been accurately reported.

How tall do you think she is? Because I just Googled Dovett's height and I'm seeing 5'7"-5'8". Sooooo

• Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    https://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/contestants/season-15

Look at the difference in how healthy those that lost lesser weight look in comparison to the winner... enough said :)

PS. This show is crap - it doesn't educate, it doesn't motivate, and it doesn't promote healthy habits.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Anyone got a shot of jillians shocked face?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

That's exploitation!

That's what I keep reading all over this thread - that what she did is perfectly fine because she wanted to win the cash. OH OKAY THEN. By all means, starve yourself, it's cool.

Yeah, you know it! Money. It's so useful when you're dead.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Anyone got a shot of jillians shocked face?

Her and Bob were NOT ok with that.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You know who looked incredible was the at-home winner, Tumi. Girl had a bangin' bod and she was glowing.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options

How tall do you think she is? Because I just Googled Dovett's height and I'm seeing 5'7"-5'8". Sooooo

I'm guessing she's closer to 5'5.5" to 5'6". The full picture is here. She's wearing flat sandals and Dolvett has a short heel on his shoes.

Link here: http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/218/931/6/S2189316/slug/l/466879299-1.jpg

Pic is too big for thread.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    You know who looked incredible was the at-home winner, Tumi. Girl had a bangin' bod and she was glowing.

Gah! I seriously forgot to watch the finale...I didn't know Tumi won it?! Go, Tumi!!!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Um...?

Did we step into an alternate reality, or something? :noway:

Yup

**sigh**
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you on this one. I cannot believe how amazing she looks.. Also, there is not 1 piece of sagging skin anywhere on her body!!! How did she do this?? Both of the guys had a ton of loose skin on their arms!! Hers.... Tight as Fort Knox!!

She's young. Skin has more elasticity the younger you are and it also depends on how long you've been obese.

Just a guess. Sorry if I'm joffing and someone already said it.