Biggest Loser's Rachel Frederickson's 155 weight loss??

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I am not a watcher of the show.. but wow that's some amazing weight loss..

Y'all DO realize that there is controversy surrounding her weight loss, right? They're saying that she lost so much that she's underweight, according to her BMI. People are not in agreement with the show rewarding her for something that is potentially dangerous to her health and well-being.

Just thought I'd share that...

This.

She's my height and only a little older than me (I'll be 23 on Wednesday, she's 24). My doctor advised me not to get under 108-ish pounds or I'd be underweight (108 is the beginning mark of being underweight for my height) when I talked to her about changing my lifestyle and counting my calories. The healthy range she wants to see me in is 120-135.

Rachel is 105 pounds.

I realize this was for a competition and maybe she will develop some good, healthy maintenance habits now that she won the final prize. She's so thin. It kind of hits me hard because something similar happened to my future mother-in-law, she lost a lot of weight last year, got healthy, but then kept going (she said it was a hard transition from deficit to maintenance calories for her) and got scary-thin.

Hoping for the best for Rachel and the other contestants.

:heart:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    I don't watch the show but a 45 lb weight loss per month, consistently, is fast enough to kill someone. Now that we have someone rewarded for her weight loss, we may see more people accomplishing this rate of loss, all for a show and money. Someone is going to (hopefully) end up in the hospital, or, more likely, in the morgue in future episodes. But I am sure the lawyers have written up the contracts in such a way not to hold the show or anybody associated with it liable if somebody keels over and dies trying to win one of these things.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    The follow-ups a year from now are going to be really interesting. I foresee Jillian and Bob leaving the show and distancing themselves from it very soon.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    The follow-ups a year from now are going to be really interesting. I foresee Jillian and Bob leaving the show and distancing themselves from it very soon.

I doubt it. They make a fortune off of their appearances on that show. It's a big cash cow for them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Well they both sent out identical statements distancing themselves from Rachel's results.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    DEFINATELY not jealous of what she looks like thats for sure. She essentially went from one extreme to the other. Now if someone was able to prove to me that her BMI, Body Fat% etc. is still in the healthy range then fine, but I highly doubt that it is. If it isn't then I am very saddened that the show would support this. I really do hope that she went that far just for the money and hope that she add's a few pounds back on.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

I doubt it. They make a fortune off of their appearances on that show. It's a big cash cow for them.

They are famous now, granted because of the show, but they both have sponsorships and merchandise of their own. They don't need Biggest Loser anymore. Plus, neither of them trained her.

This girl was uber-competitive, and I suspect so was the guy that trained her. Now, to be fair, I haven't watched the show in a long time so I don't know anything about him. But the Jillian/Bob reaction was that they were not okay with this.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    My friend just shared this with me, and I think it offers a really interesting perspective on Rachel's win last night.

http://leewolfeblum.com/?p=865
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    She was Obviously Dehydrated, think a wrestler "Cutting Weight" trying to ensure a win. As soon as she puts the water weight back on she will look just fine and be in a healthy BMI.
  • There is a lot of controversy over it. I don´t know if she lost the last 45 lbs in a healthy way or not but if she wanted to win the prize she had to lose that much because she was competing with 2 big guys that had a lot of weight to spare. That means that there need to be a change of rules on the show
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    I am sad that she would value money more than her health. And I am completely baffled at the fans, supporters, and viewers that feel that the behavior of both the show and the contestant are completely acceptable.

<snip>

Who knows how far damaged her body and psyche are at this point. Everyone just presumes that she can stop exercising and losing weight now... but what if she can't? Was the money really worth the risk that she took?

It's her body and her choice right? Or does that only apply to certain activities? I can't say I wouldn't do the same for a 3 month period for $250k. I seriously doubt she's damaged her body beyond repair in 3 months in any case. Concern trolls gonna concern I guess.

You're talking about Jillian, who got busted once feeding her team caffeine pills right? I suppose she has to step back to keep her little exercise empire chugging along.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    My friend just shared this with me, and I think it offers a really interesting perspective on Rachel's win last night.

http://leewolfeblum.com/?p=865

That's ONE positive thing that I DO love about MFP: muscles and athleticism with women is celebrated here. :happy:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    She was Obviously Dehydrated, think a wrestler "Cutting Weight" trying to ensure a win. As soon as she puts the water weight back on she will look just fine and be in a healthy BMI.

That's actually something to consider...we'll wait for the newer pics to come out, after the sensationalism dies down.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    I agree. Too extreme, but it is a game show and she won.

The-Biggest-Loser-15-measurements.png with the lowest bmi to prove it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Anyone got a shot of jillians shocked face?

Her and Bob were NOT ok with that.

Tonya's face (the girl behind Jillian) is even better!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    She did what she did to win. That was her goal. Heck Olympians and other competitive athletes put themselves through unhealthy regimens (some with drugs) to attain that top spot. It's the nature of competition and she was a swimming competitor previously.
    Do I think she looked good? IMO, I think she overdid it, but like most BL winners, they don't stay at their final weight long. Most will regain a significant amount of it back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • I think she could stand to gain some weight to fill herself out more. At least 10 more pounds. Which I'm sure she'll end up doing.. who knows. She looks a bit gaunt in the face but nonetheless well done on her part. She did what others dream to do. Besides, most winners tend to look a little more plump after the show is over... not unhealthy but just a tad bit plump. I'm sure the same will be for her.

(Whocaresaboutherthough? >_> I'm still team Danni from last season. LOL)
  • Anyone got a shot of jillians shocked face?

article-2552579-1B34CCA700000578-860_638x475.jpg

yeah they look really proud.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-biggest-loser-winner-rachel-frederickson-dodges-too-skinny-questions-15881.php

so in the interview she claims she won her triathalon (imagine burning 3 - 6 k calories in that alone!),

and she would do 4 exercise classes a day, AND walk on a treadmill all day long (4 classes + walking = 1800 calories minimum deficit) but only eat 1600 calories a day putting her at a net caloric intake of -200 calories a day.

tell me again that she doesn't have a disorder!

this is bad.
  • I know we don't need another post about this but I'm going to post because I just watched last night and I was piiiiiiiisssed for the following reason:

Stupid girls like the ones on this post are looking at her and thinking "beautiful!" instead of "sickly". NBC and these stupid ****ing networks are the very things that define beauty in our society. They literally hold the keys to women's progression and they keep us locked up and beat us down every time we start to get stronger. We finally make moves in society to stop idolizing women who are so skinny they are actually unhealthy. We are finally starting to accept healthy women in advertising and look toward real role models and then they go and celebrate her for doing this to her body on purpose and make us all watch. Women (and sometimes men) check into rehab for **** like this. It's not something you celebrate or wish for yourself. **** you NBC. You suck and I hate what you're doing to our women.