What motivational quote kept you going ?

Options

Replies

• arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try not! Do or do not. There is no try.
    ~Yoda
    this

...and may the Force be with you!
  • TheTwinnn
    Options
    I have two:

"suck it up now or suck it in later"

"it never gets easier, you just get BETTER"
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Where will you be a year from now if you quit? If you don't?
  • bigbyrdie
    bigbyrdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never surrender. Never quit.
  • Missabled
    Options
    September 2012 My then 2 1/2 yr old grand-daughter: "But Grammy, why, why can't you get on the floor to play with me"?

^^^^ I was 304LBS.

That same week I read a quote...." SHE BELIEVED SHE COULD, SO SHE DID"

Today, Feb 7th, 2014......176 pounds.

My now, 4 yr old grand-daughter.....

"I need to hydrate", << as she picks up her water bottle.
    "Daddy that is not good for you", < As Dad reaches for junk food
    "Annie-accidents" << saying "anti-oxidants" when she reaches for her berries
    "Grammy you are fun"<< As I run through the house playing TAG with her!
    "Grammy you are beautiful" << When she asked for a Ponytail in her hair just like mine.
    "I need my POSSUM". <<<saying POTASSIUM, when she asks for a banana
    "Grammy can we go for a walk"?......YES BABY, WE CAN!!!

<<<<Ms. Kaelyn Rayne (my profile pic), and this is HOW, and WHY I keep going.....
  • Short_scrivy
    Short_scrivy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Don't get even, get even better"
  • Cyndesire
    Cyndesire Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The snack you have been craving for an hour or the body you have wanted for years?
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    SEE MY TICKER BELOW
  • CC_Maam
    CC_Maam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Down the list someone said that 'motivation doesn't last habit does' (or something like that).

When would I get to exercising and so that I was "Doing without thinking" (that to means that it would feel natural part of my day)

There is some psychological research on this question in a paper recently published in the European Journal of Social Psychology. Phillippa Lally and colleagues from University College London recruited 96 people who were interested in forming a new habit such as eating a piece of fruit with lunch or doing a 15 minute run each day Lally et al. (2009). Participants were then asked daily how automatic their chosen behaviours felt. These questions included things like whether the behaviour was ‘hard not to do’ and could be done ‘without thinking’.

When the researchers examined the different habits, many of the participants showed a curved relationship between practice and automaticity of the form depicted below (solid line). On average a plateau in automaticity was reached after 66 days.

I didn't know that when I started my love affair with my Wii (see my blog for more about that). I committed to doing it EVERY DAY for thirty days without fail. I felt if I had done that I would be on my way to establishing a NEW, GOOD HABIT. It got me off the couch and committed to a better me. For me by the time the 30 days was done I had set my path and that was 370 days ago. By the way I am still having that affair . . . Thank you Wii Fitness Plus! I love you! (and now the YMCA too!)

All that is great .. but till you develop that habit and it feels good and natural you may still need motivation . . .

I like to remind myself, "I'm worth it!" and here are a few others:

Milton Garland: My advice is to go into something and stay with it until you like it. You can't like it until you obtain expertise in that work. And once you are an expert, it's a pleasure.

Ellen Degeneres: You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.

David Viscott: You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.

Lee Iacocca: You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance.

and here's a real reality check for you . . .

Jim Rohn: Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.
    Once you believe that one you shouldn't need any more motivation ... I mean you will be there for the rest of your life ... how do you want to live it?

. . . and then the habit of taking care of you becomes not just a habit but also your priority!

CC
  • Jen92Coach
    Options
    "Finish strong and hard"
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Rocky Balboa: Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!

this always pumps me up!!!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    "You can't eat like that, if you want to look like this".
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "Let the mind control the body, not the body control the mind." - Jimmy Johnson
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    my profile byline: "Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Choose your hard."
  • motivatedx10
    motivatedx10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't expect a change if you don't make one!
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have two that mostly apply to running - when I feel like quitting.

Robert Frost:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

Also, paraphrasing a book I read as a kid: Strength lies not in fighting the current, but in seeing which way the river is going and going with it.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    bump
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You only get out of life what you put in
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A year from now you'll wish you had started today

I saved this one and a year or so later happened across it and realized just how happy I was that I DID start then. So it became:

"A year from now you'll be glad that you started today"
  • jchadden42
    Options
    "It's just as wasteful to eat it when you're not hungry as it is to throw it away." --Grandmom