As a guy I wanted to know what it was like as a woman...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    When I was in the neighborhood of dating, I did originally try to use Internet dating engines. Finding a nice Japanese man in my neck of the woods is like a needle in a hay stack.

I love the term "dating engine." It sounds so..... serious, and mechanical.
  • howcanthatbetakenalready
    Options
    LOL I wouldn't exactly call being a guy that has difficulty getting a date being a member of a privaleged class.

Oh. Maybe you should do a little reading on the topic. It's clear you never, ever have.

Maybe drop the beef with the guy little buddy.

He was a bit a bit bitter in his first reply and since then has brought up valid points and counter points.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    You made guys (like myself) look bad who do/have done online dating

But i get the point

if you have ever been that douche who sends those disgusting pervy messages and/or have created a fake profile, then you did that to yourself. If you are not that guy, then you have no worries.

Well nothing to worrie then i guess.
    My motto is, don't do things to other people you wouldn't want them to do to you as well

But this story makes it look like all guys are creeps on internet dating sites

I met my GF in online dating, but it took me about 4 months to finally ask her to meet me

if anyone automatically assumes, based off this thread that all guys are like that, then that says more about them than anything and they should probably not do online dating. There are crap guys and ladies everywhere. In real life or online. But, there are also good people in both, too.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    little buddy.

Well done.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    When I was in the neighborhood of dating, I did originally try to use Internet dating engines. Finding a nice Japanese man in my neck of the woods is like a needle in a hay stack.

I love the term "dating engine." It sounds so..... serious, and mechanical.

It's srs bsns. I like to think my trigger finger for the ignore button on sites like that was pretty strategic and fluid.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here people. What can you really go off of online? Some information on a profile that could be correct, or could be made up. A picture that could be real or fake. Conversations that very few people would even attempt to have in real life. Websites that pay employees to keep users on their sites. Bots. If someone is really looking to start a long lasting, honest relationship, online is not the place to do it. Just have fun and take it for what it is. A tool to help people feel connected with other people.

Ok, just curious, where would you suggest, this day in age for a nice person to meet other people?

Libraries, concerts, bars, workplace, supermarket, friends house party, etc. Just off the top of my head.

I'm 36, not 18, so house parties? lol. With the exception of the grocery store, I don't really go to those places and at the grocery store to get my food and get out of there.
    Eh. I kind of agree with him. Those are just some examples.

And I don't go to "house parties," but I do go to get-togethers at friends' homes and there are often people there I never met before. A friend of a friend who I got into a discussion with on Facebook offered to set me up with a friend of his (I wasn't single, so had to turn it down).

I had a horrid online dating experience overall. I really think, despite being able to read a profile, you miss a lot of important things that you get in person. Body language is underrated.

I realize for a lot of people, especially those of us who are no longer in school, it's tough meeting people -- even just new friends! -- so I don't judge anyone for doing it. I just think it's more difficult that way.

One thing I've observed watching my friends online date is there are a LOT of men on those sites who will take them out, be all wonderful and date them pretty seriously for months and then suddenly decide, "Oh, I just realized I'm not ready for a long-term relationship."

I mean, this happens A LOT!

hmm, sounds familiar.... of course it happens, but I think those things get talked about way more than the good. Meh.

Right, and it's not limited to online. In college, I got dumped by a guy who used the excuse that he was pining away for a girl he met when he was an exchange student in Germany. Then a month later, I saw him at a frat party with a girl from my writing class. MMhhmmm

Men will be men, no matter where you meet them. :laugh:
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty accurate description of my experience with online dating. I am currently on a dating website but I don't have a picture on my profile, and even then I still get some creepy messages. Some guy messaged me asking if I wanted a "cuddle buddy", to which I replied "you don't even know what I look like!", and then he replies with "can I see a picture?" SMH.

OK yeah, that wouldn't be my style if I was a single man, but really, is it that bad?! You don't put a pciture up, and then when someone contacts you, your defensive reply is to say "you don't even know what I look like!", and he agrees, and asks if he can see what you look like. Perfectly reasonable. It doesn't sound creepy to me. So, you have a profile on the site, and then when someone contacts you, you complain? I don't get it at all!

SImmer down! I don't have a problem with people contacting me, but it is creepy to be approached for sex - especially when you don't even have a picture up. It's like these guys would sleep with anyone or anything. That's what I have a problem with.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Also if you're not single this subject just isn't for you. You got out of the pool, your opinion on the temperature of the water is pretty meaningless to those of us still swimming.

I don't see why not, the topic is interesting so I think that I'll stick around.

Thanks ;)

When a married guy in his 40's finds the topic of dating so interesting I can pretty much fill in the blanks for myself.
    I think this is a HELLA-huge assumption if you're implying it's that we're "unhappily" married and looking to jump ship if that's what you're implying. I just think the topic is interesting. My marriage is doing fine, thanks...perfect no but no marriage is.
    Options
    Let's be honest here people. What can you really go off of online? Some information on a profile that could be correct, or could be made up. A picture that could be real or fake. Conversations that very few people would even attempt to have in real life. Websites that pay employees to keep users on their sites. Bots. If someone is really looking to start a long lasting, honest relationship, online is not the place to do it. Just have fun and take it for what it is. A tool to help people feel connected with other people.

Ok, just curious, where would you suggest, this day in age for a nice person to meet other people?

Libraries, concerts, bars, workplace, supermarket, friends house party, etc. Just off the top of my head.

I'm 36, not 18, so house parties? lol. With the exception of the grocery store, I don't really go to those places and at the grocery store to get my food and get out of there.

And I don't go to "house parties," but I do go to get-togethers at friends' homes and there are often people there I never met before. A friend of a friend who I got into a discussion with on Facebook offered to set me up with a friend of his (I wasn't single, so had to turn it down).

I had a horrid online dating experience overall. I really think, despite being able to read a profile, you miss a lot of important things that you get in person. Body language is underrated.

I realize for a lot of people, especially those of us who are no longer in school, it's tough meeting people -- even just new friends! -- so I don't judge anyone for doing it. I just think it's more difficult that way.

One thing I've observed watching my friends online date is there are a LOT of men on those sites who will take them out, be all wonderful and date them pretty seriously for months and then suddenly decide, "Oh, I just realized I'm not ready for a long-term relationship."

hmm, sounds familiar.... of course it happens, but I think those things get talked about way more than the good. Meh.

Right, and it's not limited to online. In college, I got dumped by a guy who used the excuse that he was pining away for a girl he met when he was an exchange student in Germany. Then a month later, I saw him at a frat party with a girl from my writing class. MMhhmmm

Exactly, same for the girls who only want money, etc... there are good and bad people everywhere.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Exactly, same for the girls who only want money, etc... there are good and bad people everywhere.

Truth! :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

But i get the point

if you have ever been that douche who sends those disgusting pervy messages and/or have created a fake profile, then you did that to yourself. If you are not that guy, then you have no worries.

My motto is, don't do things to other people you wouldn't want them to do to you as well

I met my GF in online dating, but it took me about 4 months to finally ask her to meet me

if anyone automatically assumes, based off this thread that all guys are like that, then that says more about them than anything and they should probably not do online dating. There are crap guys and ladies everywhere. In real life or online. But, there are also good people in both, too.
    I certainly don't think all men are like that. I work with men, I have male family members, close male friends and I've had my share of boyfriends.

There just seems to be a plethora of them on the Internet.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Also if you're not single this subject just isn't for you. You got out of the pool, your opinion on the temperature of the water is pretty meaningless to those of us still swimming.

I don't see why not, the topic is interesting so I think that I'll stick around.

Thanks ;)

When a married guy in his 40's finds the topic of dating so interesting I can pretty much fill in the blanks for myself.
    I think this is a HELLA-huge assumption if you're implying it's that we're "unhappily" married and looking to jump ship if that's what you're implying. I just think the topic is interesting. My marriage is doing fine, thanks...perfect no but no marriage is.

Exactly.

There are several people on this thread that are currently in relationships, but the ones that agree with him seem to strangly slip his focus. LOL!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Can't argue with this :happy:
    i think you find creeps in and off the internet... Both male as female

Yes, you do and as long as your careful with personal information when starting to initiate conversation with someone, I would think online would be safer in the beginning than face to face if someone turns out to be hella creepy.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    We don't need to put much effort in finding perverts.
    We unfortunately still need to put effort to find guys who want to meet us because they actually like us.

THIS ^
  • jonnythan
    Options

But i get the point

So, you are saying that there are just as many crappy people in real life as there is online? Call me skeptical. The comfort of the internet is a prime spot for wierdos. Real life holds you accountable a bit more. Yes, there are good people in both. Harder to spot them on the internet.

There are just as many IRL, but they're far less likely to say what they're thinking because they'll get slapped/kicked in the nuts/beat up/etc.

This is largely offset by the ease of hitting the "block user" button online.
    Options

But i get the point

I certainly don't think all men are like that. I work with men, I have male family members, close male friends and I've had my share of boyfriends.

I was responding to gustaaf, because he seemed worried people (guys) in his position (dating online) would be viewed in a skewed manner, because of the article.
  • JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this right here. This will answer every question a man will have when it comes to online dating.

http://incelrage.com/

That butthurt guy with no avi really needs to check this out.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    We don't need to put much effort in finding perverts.
    We unfortunately still need to put effort to find guys who want to meet us because they actually like us.

THIS ^

Yeah so look in your friend zone. That's where the guys that like you are.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

But i get the point

I was responding to gustaaf, because he seemed worried people (guys) in his position (dating online) would be viewed in a skewed manner, because of the article.
    Yeah, I just figure if they're out there in the real world, there have to be some good ones online, too. It's just a matter of finding them.