As a guy I wanted to know what it was like as a woman...

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here people. What can you really go off of online? Some information on a profile that could be correct, or could be made up. A picture that could be real or fake. Conversations that very few people would even attempt to have in real life. Websites that pay employees to keep users on their sites. Bots. If someone is really looking to start a long lasting, honest relationship, online is not the place to do it. Just have fun and take it for what it is. A tool to help people feel connected with other people.

Ok, just curious, where would you suggest, this day in age for a nice person to meet other people?

Libraries, concerts, bars, workplace, supermarket, friends house party, etc. Just off the top of my head.

I'm 36, not 18, so house parties? lol. With the exception of the grocery store, I don't really go to those places and at the grocery store to get my food and get out of there.

18 year olds have houses? :laugh:

I didn't start having house parties until I hit my 30s. I'm hitting 40 next month and my husband is 55, and if not for house parties, we would never have any fun. :smokin:
  • JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here people. What can you really go off of online? Some information on a profile that could be correct, or could be made up. A picture that could be real or fake. Conversations that very few people would even attempt to have in real life. Websites that pay employees to keep users on their sites. Bots. If someone is really looking to start a long lasting, honest relationship, online is not the place to do it. Just have fun and take it for what it is. A tool to help people feel connected with other people.

Meeting online is often way better than meeting in person. At least with a profile, you have info about the person's hobbies and interests and attitudes. Walking up to someone in a bar based on looks alone is pretty poor in comparison.

Please tell me you're joking.

In real life, you can pick up on non-verbal clues, flirting, pheromones, etc. You can't get any of that with online dating.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    LOL I wouldn't exactly call being a guy that has difficulty getting a date being a member of a privaleged class.

Oh. Maybe you should do a little reading on the topic. It's clear you never, ever have.

:flowerforyou: For all of your posts on this topic. Yes.

Thank you.

somefitsomefat: There's a reason the women in this thread are responding positively to me and negatively to you. It's not because they're idiots who don't know how good they have it. It's because you are being ignorant of their issues and dismissing them out of hand.

Meh, you're pandering to them to please them. Catch more flies with honey. I get it. It's not my thing. I'm more of a realist. All I'm saying is women should try thinking about what it's like to date as a guy. Also, maybe the women who are responding positively to you are idiots who can't think beyond their issues to see the issues others might have? I dunno.

The last thing in the world I need to do is "catch" any women, believe me.

The rich thing here is you telling women to think abuot how it is for a guy when you absolutely dismiss out of hand their own experiences, and the experiences of men who have thought about and experienced what it's like to be a woman, without considering them yourself.

So... take your own advice.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, why is the stress a guy feels when he is treated as not desirable less important than the stress a woman feels from getting excess attention?

Being rejected =/= virtual sexual assault
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Ok, just curious, where would you suggest, this day in age for a nice person to meet other people?

Libraries, concerts, bars, workplace, supermarket, friends house party, etc. Just off the top of my head.

I'm 36, not 18, so house parties? lol. With the exception of the grocery store, I don't really go to those places and at the grocery store to get my food and get out of there.

I didn't start having house parties until I hit my 30s. I'm hitting 40 next month and my husband is 55, and if not for house parties, we would never have any fun. :smokin:

orrr, when their parents are out of town..... I've not been to a house party, since the 90's.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The guy who faked being a chick is worst than the pervs that wrote to him.

I think more guys should do that just to see how we are really treated as women. js...
  • jonnythan
    Options

Meeting online is often way better than meeting in person. At least with a profile, you have info about the person's hobbies and interests and attitudes. Walking up to someone in a bar based on looks alone is pretty poor in comparison.

Please tell me you're joking.

In real life, you can pick up on non-verbal clues, flirting, pheromones, etc. You can't get any of that with online dating.

Meeting people online is different than "online dating."

Meet online, and then if things seem to go well meet in person. That's when you actually start dating.

But filtering through dozens or hundreds of people to find ones with similar attitudes, education levels, interests, etc, is quite a bit more efficient than meeting them randomly in bars or whatever.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The 90's called and asked for their meeting places back.

GF, you called me out on this one too! I was too loaded in the 90s to have any meaningful fun, well, until '97 when I started my "childbearing years." Well, to be sure, it was fun at the time. I just don't remember much of it other than my wedding day. :laugh:
    Options
    In my experience, it's significantly less trouble than real life. I would have had to blindly approach dozens or hundreds of women before I found one compatible with me. That's pretty stupid. Trying to meet people in bars or at concerts is kinda ridiculous IMO.

And it's even worse IRL if you're a woman.

There are significant benefits to meeting people online. No worries about seeing the *kitten* who never called you back at the bar again next Friday. Ignoring emails is a lot easier than ignoring the guy in your face spilling his Bud Light on you. Etc.

Gonna piggyback off Jonny here...

Meeting someone in public isn't necessarily better. Because:

1. If someone comes and starts to flirt with you in public the only reason is because they are physically attracted to you. They don't know a thing about you yet, but they're hitting on you because you look good. So it's more shallow.

2. With an online profile you can find quite a bit out about a person right off the bat. You can meet someone in public, think they're nice, take them out, and in the middle of dinner find out you're sitting with a Neo-Nazi. I like that online dating allows you to weed out bad matches before you even talk to them.

3. I can meet women from home, in sweatpants. And if that isn't what all this progress has been for I don't understand the point of society.

in for sweatpants!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm 36 as well, and I have friends that like to entertain guests at their house. I didn't mean college parties with WOP. And no, people don't normally to go to a grocery store to meet some. That's not saying you can't. I met my wife through a friend in college.(not in a bar) I don't have a problem with online dating if someone wants to do it. I just think they should have realistic expectations.

Ok, what is WOP? Growing up, that was derogatory for Italian. I tried Google, but Google didn't know any more than me on this one.
    *scratching head*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

orrr, when their parents are out of town..... I've not been to a house party, since the 90's.

I thought that only happened in the movies. So parents really did that, eh? Left their kids in the house to throw a party? I feel robbed. :laugh:

ETA: (And now you know why I spent most of the 90s loaded)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    In my experience, it's significantly less trouble than real life. I would have had to blindly approach dozens or hundreds of women before I found one compatible with me. That's pretty stupid. Trying to meet people in bars or at concerts is kinda ridiculous IMO.

And it's even worse IRL if you're a woman.

There are significant benefits to meeting people online. No worries about seeing the *kitten* who never called you back at the bar again next Friday. Ignoring emails is a lot easier than ignoring the guy in your face spilling his Bud Light on you. Etc.

Gonna piggyback off Jonny here...

Meeting someone in public isn't necessarily better. Because:

1. If someone comes and starts to flirt with you in public the only reason is because they are physically attracted to you. They don't know a thing about you yet, but they're hitting on you because you look good. So it's more shallow.

2. With an online profile you can find quite a bit out about a person right off the bat. You can meet someone in public, think they're nice, take them out, and in the middle of dinner find out you're sitting with a Neo-Nazi. I like that online dating allows you to weed out bad matches before you even talk to them.

3. I can meet women from home, in sweatpants. And if that isn't what all this progress has been for I don't understand the point of society.

And 4: Not forced to choose between going back to the bar again next weekend and running into the dude you rejected coming up to you and harassing you or staying at home.

This will make me sound full of myself, but as an educated person with diverse interests and a very active life, it takes some searching to find someone compatible. The types of people I like and do the things I like to do don't really hang out at bars or concerts. I'm not going to try picking up chicks on the chairlift or out on the trail or at my workplace.

There are big benefits to meeting people online, and people who have not tried shouldn't simply dismiss it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    +1 on house parties being the best places to meet new people (of either gender). Trying to pick up girl at the supermarket or library is borderline creep city. Not saying I've never done it, just saying I felt creepy doing it.
    +1 (except maybe for the pheromone thing).

Online dating has a big advantage, namely that you can capitalize on your downtime. It's a way to kill time you would have killed anyway which gives you a slender chance of meeting someone. If you take it more seriously than that, you're doing it wrong.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

At least when my friend has parties now, we don't have to worry about our parents or the cops busting us! To each his/her own.

So much this ^^^

Not top mention there's no smoking (anything) in public. Bars suck, yo! Home is where the party is! See ya'll tonight! :laugh: :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Eh. I kind of agree with him. Those are just some examples.

And I don't go to "house parties," but I do go to get-togethers at friends' homes and there are often people there I never met before. A friend of a friend who I got into a discussion with on Facebook offered to set me up with a friend of his (I wasn't single, so had to turn it down).

I had a horrid online dating experience overall. I really think, despite being able to read a profile, you miss a lot of important things that you get in person. Body language is underrated.

I realize for a lot of people, especially those of us who are no longer in school, it's tough meeting people -- even just new friends! -- so I don't judge anyone for doing it. I just think it's more difficult that way.

One thing I've observed watching my friends online date is there are a LOT of men on those sites who will take them out, be all wonderful and date them pretty seriously for months and then suddenly decide, "Oh, I just realized I'm not ready for a long-term relationship."

I mean, this happens A LOT!
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.
    Yeah ... OK.

I guess you're probably single.

Thankfully no! It's just eye roll inducing to hear women complain about getting too much attention. It's a movie star complaining about the papparazi. Ok, let's see how you like it when no one wants to take your picture and you're not longer famous. Same thing. On the flip side of this little experiment I think every woman should make a profile for a fake guy. Maybe send out 20 or so thoughtful emails to get one three word response from a woman who on her profile says, "I don't respond to one line emails!"

Just stop talking.

Meh, it's a fair point. Women should try being a guy trying to get a date for a day. It could be just as much of a learning experience. What's good for the goose right?

No, it's not a fair point. Not by a long shot. This type of behavior is a huge problem. I'd say that warped gender roles and stereotypes is the single biggest social issue facing Western society today. It's mind-blowing how ingrained and pervasive these things are, and the psychological stress and disorders that women develop as a result are extensive and in many cases debilitating.

You just don't know what you're talking about. It's so easy for someone from the privileged class to simply dismiss the hardships of others. White people dismissing blacks' complaints about racism or the system, men dismissing women's complaints about how they're treated, etc etc.

Protip: if you're not a member of the class that's doing the complaining, and you're about to say something roughly equivalent to "it's not a big deal," don't say it because you probably have absolutely no clue.

So true, thanks!
    Options

I thought that only happened in the movies. So parents really did that, eh? Left their kids in the house to throw a party? I feel robbed. :laugh:

mine did. I'm still not really sure why, because we definitely partied. They busted me and said they were coming home, but they were an 8 hour drive away, so them telling me that gave us time for a few more beers and to kick everyone out and clean up before they got back.