As a guy I wanted to know what it was like as a woman...

Options

Replies

• JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading after I saw it was a reddit post. Too many neckbeards losers on there.

I'm always skeptical of a guys sexual orientation when he pretends to be a woman on a dating site...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.

LOL!
    We don't need to put much effort in finding perverts.
    We unfortunately still need to put effort to find guys who want to meet us because they actually like us.

and who we connect with and like in return, too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading after I saw it was a reddit post. Too many neckbeards losers on there.

I'm always skeptical of a guys sexual orientation when he pretends to be a woman on a dating site...

Well no one really seems to listen when it's a woman complaining about these things.

So maybe people will start to get it when it's a guy.

But, apparently not.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.
    Yeah ... OK.

I guess you're probably single.

Thankfully no! It's just eye roll inducing to hear women complain about getting too much attention. It's a movie star complaining about the papparazi. Ok, let's see how you like it when no one wants to take your picture and you're not longer famous. Same thing. On the flip side of this little experiment I think every woman should make a profile for a fake guy. Maybe send out 20 or so thoughtful emails to get one three word response from a woman who on her profile says, "I don't respond to one line emails!"

Just stop talking.

Meh, it's a fair point. Women should try being a guy trying to get a date for a day. It could be just as much of a learning experience. What's good for the goose right?

No, it's not a fair point. Not by a long shot. This type of behavior is a huge problem. I'd say that warped gender roles and stereotypes is the single biggest social issue facing Western society today. It's mind-blowing how ingrained and pervasive these things are, and the psychological stress and disorders that women develop as a result are extensive and in many cases debilitating.

You just don't know what you're talking about. It's so easy for someone from the privileged class to simply dismiss the hardships of others. White people dismissing blacks' complaints about racism or the system, men dismissing women's complaints about how they're treated, etc etc.

Protip: if you're not a member of the class that's doing the complaining, and you're about to say something roughly equivalent to "it's not a big deal," don't say it because you probably have absolutely no clue.

LOL I wouldn't exactly call being a guy that has difficulty getting a date being a member of a privaleged class. Also, why is the stress a guy feels when he is treated as not desirable less important than the stress a woman feels from getting excess attention?

Protip: Make a dating profile as a 250lb guy with an average job and average hobbies. Observe how you are not at all privaleged.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Spending your evenings pretending to be a woman online. Strong life.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned straight vodka, world of warcraft and tearful self-stimulation? I suppose I'm just a simpler man from a simpler time...

ETA:
    I wouldn't exactly call being a buy that has difficulty getting a date being a member of a privaleged class.
    No white knight, but... please stop.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've decide I'm not going for the MFP pervs and after the divorce I'm going to the nunnery. True! No one say a thing or you'll get sent to hell........trust me I'm really good at that stuff. :devil:
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty accurate description of my experience with online dating. I am currently on a dating website but I don't have a picture on my profile, and even then I still get some creepy messages. Some guy messaged me asking if I wanted a "cuddle buddy", to which I replied "you don't even know what I look like!", and then he replies with "can I see a picture?" SMH.

OK yeah, that wouldn't be my style if I was a single man, but really, is it that bad?! You don't put a pciture up, and then when someone contacts you, your defensive reply is to say "you don't even know what I look like!", and he agrees, and asks if he can see what you look like. Perfectly reasonable. It doesn't sound creepy to me. So, you have a profile on the site, and then when someone contacts you, you complain? I don't get it at all!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've never tried online dating, but in all fairness to both the OP and somefit I can say that I've never heard anyone, male or female, sing the praises of online dating dynamics.

And it sounds like both genders suffer from a 'grass is greener' complex. To me, the idea of being inundated by perverted e-mails doesn't sound any more or less appealing than being flaked on constantly or being in constant isolation that a lot of guys get. From what I hear, a guy with a 50:2 success rate would be considered the Brad Pitt of online dating. Most guys are closer to 200:1. I think that the only think that was annoying about the article was the statement that one gender has it harder than the other, when it sucks for everyone.

I honestly don't know why either gender choses this medium, apparently noone likes it or is having any fun.

FTR: I'm married and have been for 11 years.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just gonna put this here:

1361411104231.gif
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is hotting up! I'm bailing out now, before things degenerate!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    LOL I wouldn't exactly call being a guy that has difficulty getting a date being a member of a privaleged class.

Oh. Maybe you should do a little reading on the topic. It's clear you never, ever have.
  • JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    People are always jealous of other people. Men are jealous because they think it's easy being a woman who does online dating (which isn't true).

I see the same bitterness/jealousy when fat women look at thin women getting all the attention. This is clear as day whenever you go to a nightclub, bar, beach, etc. Most make snide remarks and claim the thin women are anorexic or are too skinny (which isn't true).

It's just jealousy people.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Let's be honest here people. What can you really go off of online? Some information on a profile that could be correct, or could be made up. A picture that could be real or fake. Conversations that very few people would even attempt to have in real life. Websites that pay employees to keep users on their sites. Bots. If someone is really looking to start a long lasting, honest relationship, online is not the place to do it. Just have fun and take it for what it is. A tool to help people feel connected with other people.

Meeting online is often way better than meeting in person. At least with a profile, you have info about the person's hobbies and interests and attitudes. Walking up to someone in a bar based on looks alone is pretty poor in comparison.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Let's be honest here people. What can you really go off of online? Some information on a profile that could be correct, or could be made up. A picture that could be real or fake. Conversations that very few people would even attempt to have in real life. Websites that pay employees to keep users on their sites. Bots. If someone is really looking to start a long lasting, honest relationship, online is not the place to do it. Just have fun and take it for what it is. A tool to help people feel connected with other people.

Ok, just curious, where would you suggest, this day in age for a nice person to meet other people?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Meeting online is often way better than meeting in person. At least with a profile, you have info about the person's hobbies and interests and attitudes. Walking up to someone in a bar based on looks alone is pretty poor in comparison.

Not according to the article.

Online sounds pretty horrid.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    LOL I wouldn't exactly call being a guy that has difficulty getting a date being a member of a privaleged class.

Oh. Maybe you should do a little reading on the topic. It's clear you never, ever have.

On dating or privalege? No interesting in reading about either. Boring topics. Dating shouldn't be about reading. It is a simple concept. Meet someone. Talk to them. If you like them talk to them more. People make it more complicated than it should be.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

It all sounds pretty horrid, online or in person.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You're a dude reading an article about being a woman online. Until you've been an attractive woman trying to meet guys IRL you really don't have a point of comparison.