As a guy I wanted to know what it was like as a woman...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.

The sign of a mature, adult human being is belittling the difficulties of millions of people who are not you.

Protip: if large numbers of a certain demographic complain about something, there just might be something to it. Even if it seems trivial to you.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty accurate description of my experience with online dating. I am currently on a dating website but I don't have a picture on my profile, and even then I still get some creepy messages. Some guy messaged me asking if I wanted a "cuddle buddy", to which I replied "you don't even know what I look like!", and then he replies with "can I see a picture?" SMH.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I could use this story to rationalize why I don't get responses...but I'm not sure it's the norm.

From the women that I did manage to talk to on these sites it goes like this:

New profile= tons of messages in the first week or so. Creepy guys, normal seeming guys, prospective dating material, etc.
    Two week old profile=substantial decrease in messages, creep factor increases, substantial decrease in prospective dating material

100% Correct.

If they aren't creepy, they're dumb as all hell, or they have 6 kids to 6 different women.

I'm just gonna go buy some cats...
    ADOPT! some cats.

:wink:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.
    Yeah ... OK.

I guess you're probably single.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    yea, that pretty much sums up dating online. There are a few nice, decent guys, but you definitely have to "weed" through the crazy messages.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... OK.

Thankfully no! It's just eye roll inducing to hear women complain about getting too much attention. It's a movie star complaining about the papparazi. Ok, let's see how you like it when no one wants to take your picture and you're not longer famous. Same thing. On the flip side of this little experiment I think every woman should make a profile for a fake guy. Maybe send out 20 or so thoughtful emails to get one three word response from a woman who on her profile says, "I don't respond to one line emails!"
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... OK.

He probably isn't.

I have done some online dating and my experience with it wasn't great. I do far better when I manage to speak to someone face to face. I do think it is probably easier for woman to get contact from guys than vis versa, but I am also sure there are a lot of guys who just use the sites for sex. There are online dating experts from both sexes though.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thankfully no! It's just eye roll inducing to hear women complain about getting too much attention.

No one is complaining about "too much attention."

The complaint is the men who want to jump right into sending sexual text messages and PMs when you haven't even met in person and the men who think it's perfectly OK to send junk shots without even asking and the men who get downright scary and NASTY if you politely tell them you're not interested.

You clearly have no idea what goes on, so you should probably just stop commenting.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yeah ... OK.

Thankfully no! It's just eye roll inducing to hear women complain about getting too much attention. It's a movie star complaining about the papparazi. Ok, let's see how you like it when no one wants to take your picture and you're not longer famous. Same thing. On the flip side of this little experiment I think every woman should make a profile for a fake guy. Maybe send out 20 or so thoughtful emails to get one three word response from a woman who on her profile says, "I don't respond to one line emails!"

Just stop talking.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My daughter was telling me about this. She was saying it was a dude from 4Chan.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

......Bitter much??? :huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've heard this from several of my co-workers who have tried online dating. It's just really sad.

Same here. Stories like this remind me of how blessed I am.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... OK.

Just stop talking.

Meh, it's a fair point. Women should try being a guy trying to get a date for a day. It could be just as much of a learning experience. What's good for the goose right?
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

LOL!
    We don't need to put much effort in finding perverts.
    We unfortunately still need to put effort to find guys who want to meet us because they actually like us.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've heard this from several of my co-workers who have tried online dating. It's just really sad.

I tried it a few times, but I never ended up on a second date with anyone I met (which were few, since few were worth the time). Every guy I've been seriously involved with I've met the old-fashioned way.

I don't know what I'll do if I'm ever single again, but probably just stay that way. Just the thought of dating is exhausting.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I tried it a few times, but I never ended up on a second date with anyone I met (which were few, since few were worth the time). Every guy I've been seriously involved with I've met the old-fashioned way.

I don't know what I'll do if I'm ever single again, but probably just stay that way. Just the thought of dating is exhausting.

Same here!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Meh, it's a fair point. Women should try being a guy trying to get a date for a day. It could be just as much of a learning experience. What's good for the goose right?

No one here has said it's easy for men. That isn't the point of this thread.

And if you really and truly believe it is THAT easy for women, you need to crawl out of your cave. It isn't.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i would rather be a guy and message 50 girls and only get 2 nice responses than be a girl and have to weed through the 500 messages to find the one or two guys that isn't a complete asshat or douche nozzle.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yeah ... OK.

Just stop talking.

No, it's not a fair point. Not by a long shot. This type of behavior is a huge problem. I'd say that warped gender roles and stereotypes is the single biggest social issue facing Western society today. It's mind-blowing how ingrained and pervasive these things are, and the psychological stress and disorders that women develop as a result are extensive and in many cases debilitating.

You just don't know what you're talking about. It's so easy for someone from the privileged class to simply dismiss the hardships of others. White people dismissing blacks' complaints about racism or the system, men dismissing women's complaints about how they're treated, etc etc.

Protip: if you're not a member of the class that's doing the complaining, and you're about to say something roughly equivalent to "it's not a big deal," don't say it because you probably have absolutely no clue.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... OK.

Just stop talking.

No, it's not a fair point. Not by a long shot. This type of behavior is a huge problem. I'd say that warped gender roles and stereotypes is the single biggest social issue facing Western society today. It's mind-blowing how ingrained and pervasive these things are, and the psychological stress and disorders that women develop as a result are extensive and in many cases debilitating.

You just don't know what you're talking about. It's so easy for someone from the privileged class to simply dismiss the hardships of others. White people dismissing blacks' complaints about racism or the system, men dismissing women's complaints about how they're treated, etc etc.

Protip: if you're not a member of the class that's doing the complaining, and you're about to say something roughly equivalent to "it's not a big deal," don't say it because you probably have absolutely no clue.

THIS.gif