What was the most FUN job you have had?

Options

Replies

• brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I reviewed craft beer and video games for my local newspaper for a couple of years. Dream career, just didn't pay nearly as much as my current job (now that I've graduated --> "real" job).
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    The one I have right now is the most fun !

I work the front desk at a small animal hospital ...... the work atmosphere is amazing ..... the clients are really nice, my boss is a doll & my coworkers make me laugh ....... plus I'm able to pet puppies & kittens each day :heart:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Soooo hard to pick! From my younger days, top 4:

--Crewing for hot air balloons & balloon racing
    --Rock quarry - weigh station & water sampling
    --Fish & Game scientist, fishing for salmon on research vessel
    --White water raft guide
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Had my own TKD school in the late 70's and into the 80's. Relocated in 1987. Met my wife and had to get a real job.
    What is a TKD school?
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    Options
    The most fun job I had was in High School working sanitation at Hershey Park. I got to hang out with some great friends all day, while walking around the park cleaning bathrooms or emptying trash cans. It was the ideal job for a kid. See your friends all day, and free admission to the park when you were off. It was also nice to not be stuck in one spot all day.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I was a room service server at a hotel back in my early 20's. It was great because there were always musicians staying at the hotel so I got to meet quite a few of them.

No, I didn't serve any tricks. Just food.

That is awesome!!

My grandfather & cousin both have similar tales. My cousin worked as a concierge at nice Dallas & Tulsa hotels in the 90s and met a lot of his favorite rock/metal bands. My grandfather (91 now) was an errand boy at a hotel when he was VERY young and met Eleanor Roosevelt :-)
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I would have to say mine now. Pawn Shop owner. I see so many different types of people on a daily basis. I have regulars that come by just to chat and drink coffee (I make it but, don't drink it) I am my own boss so if I screw up, I just send myself home. It's a far stretch from my 20's and early 30's in the corporate world.
  • rsemsem
    Options
    @seltzermint tkd is Taekwondo
  • Sirrunsalot75
    Sirrunsalot75 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I worked one year in high school in the stockroom of Victoria's Secret. So much eye candy for a teenager!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I worked for Zanies Comedy club for over 10 years. It originally was my only job then I got a full time job for the insurance and what not, but I kept it as a 2nd job. It was the best job ever. Like a night out rather than work. Got to meet all sorts of comedians. Even smoked the whacky tabaccy with Tom Green once :smokin: . So much fun! It closed a couple years back. Economy and all, people just don't support live Comedy as much as they used to :sad: I miss that job!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    camp counselor!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I would have to say mine now. Pawn Shop owner. I see so many different types of people on a daily basis. I have regulars that come by just to chat and drink coffee (I make it but, don't drink it) I am my own boss so if I screw up, I just send myself home. It's a far stretch from my 20's and early 30's in the corporate world.

That sounds seriously awesome to me. My dad used to own a teacher supply store and while it got annoying at times when I worked there, it was a super nice feeling being "the owners" and not having a corporate honcho in charge of things. I loved helping customers who really appreciated it and being able to just relax, show off new items, give their children some Halloween candy, etc.

ALSO thanks to the guy who explained TKD! Derp. I could have probably figured that out if I really thought about it :-)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I produced, edited, and hosted my own outdoor TV show for Arizona. Did that for a couple years and LOVED it.

Unfortunately when 9/11 hit our sponsorship was cut in half and I just had my first child with plans for our second kid. Had to shut'er down and get back to the real world.

That said, I absolutely LOVE my current job. So I am in a good place.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Journalist. Nothing like riding horses and getting a private tour of the zoo and getting paid. :-)

Pay was crap, benefits were crap and hours kind of sucked, but it was FUN.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I worked for Zanies Comedy club for over 10 years. It originally was my only job then I got a full time job for the insurance and what not, but I kept it as a 2nd job. It was the best job ever. Like a night out rather than work. Got to meet all sorts of comedians. Even smoked the whacky tabaccy with Tom Green once :smokin: . So much fun! It closed a couple years back. Economy and all, people just don't support live Comedy as much as they used to :sad: I miss that job!

Sounds so fun to me, too! While it wasn't nearly as eventful, I loved working in a bookstore and a locally owned independent video store in years past. I am so sad that those places have mostly died out :-( Taking home new releases (and any other movie) for free was an awesome perk at the video store, and Waldenbooks used to let employees "check out" books as long as we returned them promptly in good shape. It was a book & movie lover's dream at both of those jobs!!
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I worked as a Character Host at Disneyland. Helping folks meet Mickey, taking their pictures, getting his autograph. But the BEST part about that job was when I worked with Chip & Dale; we shared a break room with Tarzan. And those muscles were NOT painted on!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My Husband worked for Hostess (before it went belly-up) and he'd bring home cases of Twinkies - I had to tell him NO MORE TWINKIES - EVER!!

On another note - when my Husband was a teenager he used to have to work at his Mother's Hosiery Store.......I kid him that he knows more about pantyhose than any other man I know............!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Working as a summer staffer at a local Christian camp... did I have to clean rooms, cook food and clean dishes for 500 little kids, clean poopsplosions off of stall walls.... sure! But I also got to lifeguard, teach archery, and work on the Ropes Challenge course for the both highs and the low elements (I was a monkey back in that day)...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Working at a movie theatre, a bunch of people around the same age, free movies, discounted food, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    My Husband worked for Hostess (before it went belly-up) and he'd bring home cases of Twinkies - I had to tell him NO MORE TWINKIES - EVER!!

On another note - when my Husband was a teenager he used to have to work at his Mother's Hosiery Store.......I kid him that he knows more about pantyhose than any other man I know............!

The bread store I worked in was Wonder-Hostess! I didn't even eat the stuff after awhile. When I did (this is pretty gross) I would get the Suzy Q's and scrape the filling out and JUST eat the filling. My coworker did the same thing with Banana Flips. lol