A question for the men...

Options

Replies

• OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A made up Holiday from Hallmark. I will surprise my lady with sweet things. Some dinner and such. But I don't want anything in return. I see it like Mother's day, Spot light all on the ladies. But this single guy could be wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I hate Valentine's Day, and I am not just saying that because I don't have someone to "celebrate" it with. I think you should show you SO you love them not just on one specific day each year. However, I love the 15th because I can get chocolate cheaper :)
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    Love your responses!!

I don't believe in spending a lot of money, I don't even care about going out to eat because everybody and their brother will be out but a card and a big cup reeses cup would be nice. To me it would mean he knows me well enough to know that I love reeses.

No flowers, they die
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I try to do something every day to show my wife that I love her. That could end up being multiple things a day. I do dishes, I clean, I make dinner, I let her sleep in when I can, I text her before I leave work to see if we need anything from the store. Constantly flirt :-) I try to take any stress I can off of her. But I can't do super-romantic all the time (I do try to do it spontaneously occasionally, because I think that's better than having a designated day).

Valentine's Day is a little special to us because it was kind-of our first date (although we had hung out a lot prior to that).

But just because it is a money grab doesn't mean you have to let them grab your money. It drains the accounts of those who don't take the time to be creative - so they throw down hundreds of dollars on flowers or presents. it doesn't drain the accounts of those who do a little planning to tailor an evening for them - a meaningful movie, dinner, music, whatever.

I am fine with people who don't want to celebrate it or who are cynical about it. I'm not sure we would celebrate it if it didn't have a little extra meaning. I completely understand the view. But if you want to celebrate it and save money, then just take a few minutes to think about creative, inexpensive ways to make it special rather than expensive ways to make it common.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hallmark has not been around long enough to have invented Valentine's Day. It has a strong religious tradition behind it and has been around for hundreds of years.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have never gone nuts for Valentine's day. I love the reds and pinks, and hearts of all sizes though!

Our wedding anniversary and Christmas are when we go all out for each other. V-day is usually chocolates and flowers, maybe dinner out somewhere local. Nothing fancy.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I DEMAND HEART SHAPED PIZZA!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I think it's much more special if your partner did something for you...not bought you stuff. Make your favorite dinner, give you a massage or just let you hold the remote!

I would be ecstatic to hold the remote. Just once.

I control the remote most of the time. He doesn't mind since we like similar shows.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    V day is a set up.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    It's another hallmark holiday scam....

Just like mother's day and father's day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Ladies, you can answer too :smile:

Do you feel Valentines Day is just another money grabbing day ?

If it were up to you, would you prefer not getting anything for your SO, if you knew she wouldn't be upset?
    IF the expectation is to receive something to signify that you're still being loved, then what's happening the other 364 days of the year should be a concern. You should feel loved and wanted everyday by your SO. Somedays will be better than others, but IMO Valentine's Day is just another profit making day. What's more memorable.............getting some flowers and a card (like always) or going out in the back, sitting together and just laughing and remembering how you met, the first date, the first kiss, etc.? That doesn't cost anything, but could mean everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Till I opened this thread I didn't even know when it was.

I have been spoiled by a loving husband who surprises me with a bouquet of wiled flowers he picked on the way home from work, or a note he left for me on the kitchen table, before he left in the morning. I have walked out to my car and found I love you written in the frost.

These are the things that make me melt! There is no need for a day, my life is what that day represents!
  • brianlowell
    brianlowell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think every day each spouse/significant other should try and make an impact, and also work hard to having a dedicated day. Valentines day in my eyes has just turned into another marketing/commercially flooded day where more money can be made. Though, if you haven't had a date night, or a special day for that significant other, and it happens to be on valentines day.. So be it! :)
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I just hope Hallmark doesn't ruin March 14th :drinker:
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    If you truly love your partner then Valentine's Day should be EVERY day, not just once a year. Otherwise it's just another lame commercial holiday.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just hope Hallmark doesn't ruin March 14th :drinker:

The cards would be interesting....
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    OMG, it is a week before, and they are already dressing up the stores with hearts and red bunting! Course it is a money grab. (But, I have to admit, it is kinda nice to be reminded to let your SO know she is appreciated -- without going over the top.)
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I absolutely believe Valentine's Day is (or has become) a "Hallmark" holiday that is totally full of consumerism and "keeping up with the Joneses". If you're with somebody, you should make them feel special WAY MORE than one day a year, and just because you don't buy them jewelry/chocolates/roses doesn't mean you're any less romantic.

If you're not with someone, it just leaves you feeling like a schlub.

The modern day iteration of Valentine's Day is a mockery of its origins.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Hallmark has not been around long enough to have invented Valentine's Day. It has a strong religious tradition behind it and has been around for hundreds of years.

If you think that Valentine's Day's origins are alive and well in the modern-day iteration we are now smacked with around every corner this time of year, I don't know what to tell ya.

The religious origins have been completely muted out, thanks to our consumerism.