A question for the men...

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    We don't do valentines or anniversaries, I find them a little cheesy. But each to their own.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I just hope Hallmark doesn't ruin March 14th :drinker:

The cards would be interesting....

Yes, they would.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For us the day was spoiled by some family tragedies so we skip it. I actually rather like that we do, instead we try to make dates once a week to get out and just have some fun together away from everything.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    It can be another money grabber but the people in true love, find ways to let their SO's know they love them EVERYDAY. But make them feel even more special on Valentine's day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    OMG, it is a week before, and they are already dressing up the stores with hearts and red! Course it is a money grab. (But, I have to admit, it is kinda nice to be reminded to let your SO know she is appreciated -- without going over the top.)
    Lol, I saw signs of it on Jan 2nd.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, and I have never expected anything on this non-holiday except that my hubby and I go out to dinner. It is NOT an occaision for cards, flowers, and/or gifts; I would MUCH rather he spent the same amount of $$ getting the hay baler fixed or paying the property taxes!.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Any holiday that requires you to buy a big box of chocolates is great in my book.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love flowers any day of the year!! I'm looking forward to cooking a special dinner for my family and having us all sit down together to eat. It doesn't have to be valentines day to do this, but a special day reminds us to slow down a little and enjoy each other.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hallmark has not been around long enough to have invented Valentine's Day. It has a strong religious tradition behind it and has been around for hundreds of years.

If you think that Valentine's Day's origins are alive and well in the modern-day iteration we are now smacked with around every corner this time of year, I don't know what to tell ya.

The religious origins have been completely muted out, thanks to our consumerism.

They are somewhat alive. Cards were a part of the tradition for a while back before they were manufactured and what not. Flowers, too, I believe. The sentiment of the historical valentine's day is still kind of there - letting people you love know you love them. You can certainly drown in consumerism, but there are still plenty of people who see it as serving that purpose... even in this thread alone.

Anyway, I'm not disputing that it is consumerized... but it is not a holiday invented by a corporation to suck money from us. Like many holidays, it's more like an existing holiday that corporations have jumped on as a profit vehicle.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's a cute holiday that has totally gotten outta control. With VD on a Friday, I am seeing advertisements for restaurants having their Valentine Weekend Specials. Going out to eat has become chaotic. It's such an obligation now.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i always say this....if you can celebrate 420, you can celebrate valentine's day. DONE!
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Every day is Valentines Day, for some of us.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I buy things for my S.O. on valentines day, as well as other times throughout the year (If I see something which I know will make her :) or could be beneficial to her in her job.). I do think it puts undue pressure to feel compelled to buy and send flowers/jewelry on this specific day, but it's something I'd do for her anyhow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think valentines day is just about the most ridiculous holiday ever...and I'm thrilled that my wife agrees. we do special stuff for each other on a pretty regular basis throughout the year...we don't need a rando day in February to do it. the notion that I'm going to go out and by diamonds and a big expensive dinner, etc just because it's February 14th is ludicrous. most stupid holiday ever and totally a marketing/money grabbing gimmick.
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    i always say this....if you can celebrate 420, you can celebrate valentine's day. DONE!
    I am failing to see how these two are related.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    I think valentines day is just about the most ridiculous holiday ever...and I'm thrilled that my wife agrees. we do special stuff for each other on a pretty regular basis throughout the year...we don't need a rando day in February to do it. the notion that I'm going to go out and by diamonds and a big expensive dinner, etc just because it's February 14th is ludicrous. most stupid holiday ever and totally a marketing/money grabbing gimmick.

Maybe I'm with the wrong guy. He doesn't do anything special for me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If it were up to you, would you prefer not getting anything for your SO, if you knew HE wouldn't be upset?

Yes. I would.

My husband however likes Valentine's Day but I think I've got it down to just a date night around the 14th (not actually on it).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The last Valentine I received was my baby girl seven years ago. Still the best gift I ever got.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I am failing to see how these two are related.

they are both holidays? ok, what about christmas? most people ARE NOT christian and they celebrate xmas. So, why not just suck it up and say 'Happy Vday' to someone. Our society has this total aversion to love. It is selfish. It doesn't need to be commercial. Make a dinner, do some kinky business, massage some feet, cuddle up to a movie. I am so tired of hearing all the vday hate, especially from people that think it is ok to have a holiday to smoke pot, to search for easter eggs, to remember our veterens even! If we can't have one day for love, why anything else, love holds the world together.