HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Options
nursing-your-sweet-tooth4_zps58b85fb9.jpg

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION IS NOW WARNING US

Americans are swallowing 22 teaspoons of sugar each day, and it's time to cut way back, the American Heart Association says.
What's way back? 10 percent is recommended; and 10 percent of 1200 is 30 GRAMS, 1500 is 38 grams and 2000 is 50 grams.

Joanne Moniz
The Skinny on Obesity Group

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I get more sugar than that from fruit. :noway:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

1) If you are tracking total energy intake, setting your macros reasonably, and eating "mostly whole foods" and limiting your "junk food" to a reasonable portion of total calories then you don't really need to bother tracking sugar at all.

2) The AHA recommendations are based on added sugars and they exclude naturally occurring sugars.

EDIT: In fact, I'll type more.....

It's important to note a few things: The American Heart association is basing their sugar recommendation on roughly half (give or take) of one's discretionary calorie intake. You can see evidence of that from this study which is where their sugar recommendations are coming from.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf

They are basically giving a range of discretionary calories (calories that you are free to spend once nutrient needs are met with the other calories) from about 10 to 20% and then taking roughly half of that coming straight from added sugar.

So in short, this recommendation (again, by the AHA) is based on total energy intake.

For an active male who may maintain on 3000 calories, they would recommend 512 discretionary calories of which 288kcals could come from added sugars. Note that this does not include naturally occurring sugars which is somewhat silly since it's all sugar.

Finally, note in the text that one concern of added sugars it that it causes people to expand their discretionary intake beyond their recommended limits which could effect nutrient sufficiency of the overall diet. If this is their reason for limiting sugar to half of the discretionary calories then you could basically double that sugar limit provided that you're still sticking to a reasonable discretionary intake.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think OP is talking about ADDED sugar (sucrose). Some diabetes experts are now saying that we should limit added sugar to 25 grams a day--others say that there is NO safe level of added sugar for their diabetic patients and that the old guidelines on carbohydrates is set much too high. They go further and say that carbohydrate intake should be set in relation to activity levels and that most or all carbohydrates should be from vegetables and fruits--with only 10% coming from grain foods and that a great deal of caution should be used when eating grain with added sugar and fat. (In other words, doughnuts, cakes and cookies are for VERY active people). One problem with obese (and some diabetes experts say it should properly be called "diabesity" because the same conditions lead to both conditions) folk, is that they are typically very inactive.

ETA: This recommendation is for people who are ill with obesity and/or diabetes. There is a VERY strong link between diabetes and heart disease (as well as hypertension, renal disease and NAFLD--"non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease). And eating a lot of added sugar (and too high a proportion of carbohydrates for the activity level) is associated with all of them. As Side Steel has noted, the problem with sugar is that it only supplies calories and displaces other foods that supply calories plus, plant enzymes, vitamins, minerals (especially important) protein and nourishing fats. I never knew even one really large person (and I'm talking here about people who weigh 400+) who ever ate fruit and rarely any vegetable except salad LOADED with salad dressing. But they were eating huge amounts of grain and sugar.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Oh. It's spider lady . . .
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Well now...that really contributed a lot to the conversation, didn't it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

1) If you are tracking total energy intake, setting your macros reasonably, and eating "mostly whole foods" and limiting your "junk food" to a reasonable portion of total calories then you don't really need to bother tracking sugar at all.

2) The AHA recommendations are based on added sugars and they exclude naturally occurring sugars.

It's important to note a few things: The American Heart association is basing their sugar recommendation on roughly half (give or take) of one's discretionary calorie intake. You can see evidence of that from this study which is where their sugar recommendations are coming from.

They are basically giving a range of discretionary calories (calories that you are free to spend once nutrient needs are met with the other calories) from about 10 to 20% and then taking roughly half of that coming straight from added sugar.

So in short, this recommendation (again, by the AHA) is based on total energy intake.

For an active male who may maintain on 3000 calories, they would recommend 512 discretionary calories of which 288kcals could come from added sugars. Note that this does not include naturally occurring sugars which is somewhat silly since it's all sugar.

Finally, note in the text that one concern of added sugars it that it causes people to expand their discretionary intake beyond their recommended limits which could effect nutrient sufficiency of the overall diet. If this is their reason for limiting sugar to half of the discretionary calories then you could basically double that sugar limit provided that you're still sticking to a reasonable discretionary intake.

Nothing more to add, except ^^this
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

And food phobia lady
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

SideSteel: fighting irrational food phobia and indecipherable low res infographics with actual information and helpful practical advice, one post at a time.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

And food phobia lady

I wouldve gone with 'sideways KB lady'

OP, to answer your question... youve had too much sugar since you're yelling for no reason
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mmk
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tinfoil hat and head to basement time folks…

in….for more sugar scaring….
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    <snip> low res infographics </snip>
    I was curious enough to find a legible version. I think using the Coke font was a nice touch but the "references" are a bit dubious. lol

http://www.eatsleepbe.com/wp-content/plugins/image-shadow/cache/108a79e9d6cc333b0ec2199795492798.jpg

ETA:
    I also think sugar in the levels we've been eating it is bad for your health (whatever your weight) but I'm just not impressed with infographics -- especially the sugar is addictive as cocaine variety.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

end thread/
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I think it is safe to assume that hose who are eating mostly whole foods do not need to worry because eating mostly whole foods would keep total sugar at about 10 percent. But it is the "average" american that does need to worry. The average american is eating almost 90 grams of sugar a day. So much about nutrition is so confusing to most people, through no fault of their own. Good health and fitness is not really that difficult to understand without all the confusion that has been thrown at everyone... low this.. low that... It has all been driven by money at the expense of our health. I's criminal, in my opinion.

Medical experts are suggesting keeping FRUCTOSE at 25 grams and that is why 10 percent of calories is what is recommended; that would include all sugar, including natural sugar. It is not the glucose in the sugar that is the problem; it is the fructose.

What I always say is the proof is in the pudding. When sugar is reduced to about that level, everything gets better, not just weight!

Joanne Moniz
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I know when I have too much sugar- it makes me feel crappy.

Incidentally, so does too much protein or too much fat.

Bless your heart. :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Thanks sidesteel for the link. I recognize quite a few of the studies they're referring to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think it is safe to assume that hose who are eating mostly whole foods do not need to worry because eating mostly whole foods would keep total sugar at about 10 percent. But it is the "average" american that does need to worry. The average american is eating almost 90 grams of sugar a day. So much about nutrition is so confusing to most people, through no fault of their own. Good health and fitness is not really that difficult to understand without all the confusion that has been thrown at everyone... low this.. low that... It has all been driven by money at the expense of our health. I's criminal, in my opinion.

Medical experts are suggesting keeping FRUCTOSE at 25 grams and that is why 10 percent of calories is what is recommended; that would include all sugar, including natural sugar. It is not the glucose in the sugar that is the problem; it is the fructose.

What I always say is the proof is in the pudding. When sugar is reduced to about that level, everything gets better, not just weight!

Joanne Moniz

What about the post specifically do you not agree with?

Also, the 'average' american is generally not the people who are on here. People on here are not exclusively American and also, they are logging and monitoring calories. Not the same at all.

Also:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    It's the extra 500 calories kids are consuming from added sugar in general, not the fructose in them.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Joanne Moniz

It's the extra 500 calories kids are consuming from added sugar in general, not the fructose in them.

That's the confounding issue with a lot of this, sugar or fructose gets demonized but we're usually dealing with a population of people who are overconsuming calories and reducing activity through lots of video-game-triggered-*kitten*-sitting.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Lustig probably claims that fructose should be under 25g, but he's also not exactly using accurate data or reaching reasonable conclusions as can be seen here:

NSFW:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I