HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Glazed donut in hand...YUM!
    But seriously - actually nevermind.

Really shouldn't eat glazed donuts -- not healthy. That's why I choose to eat, as a healthy alternative, glazed yeast rings:

yeasters_zps74ad3720.png
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    With reference to the 500 extra calories... We can still eat low calorie and unknowingly go overboard on fructose, the main culprit in the fight against obesity..... That is the problem at hand

Do you have any evidence that fructose can prevent fat loss or lead to fat gain under conditions of energy restriction?

I'm not aware that such evidence exists. Fructose is not the main culprit of obesity and you should consider sources outside of Dr. Lustig. Some have already been presented in this thread.

We know that eating in a caloric excess causes weight gain but obesity itself is a complex issue that can't be pinned on a singular food ingredient or an entire macronutrient.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    SideSteel: fighting irrational food phobia and indecipherable low res infographics with actual information and helpful practical advice, one post at a time.

He's like a nutritional caped crusader.

Except he's not wearing a cape...

He should be.

As long as he doesn't start wearing his underpants over this trousers it's all good ;)

I don't wear underpants.

Are you trying to kill me? You can't be smart and not wear underpants. That's just mean.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    This may help some of you decide whether you want to cut down on sugar.

Recent research published in American Journal of Medicine (JAMA)

A rigorously done new study shows that those with the highest sugar intake had a four-fold increase in their risk of heart attacks compared to those with the lowest intakes. That's 400 percent! Just one 20-ounce soda increases your risk of a heart attack by about 30 percent.

This study of more than 40,000 people, published in JAMA Internal Medicine, accounted for all other potential risk factors including total calories, overall diet quality, smoking, cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity and alcohol.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573

Bottom line is this - fat doesn't cause heart disease, but sugar does. I had a nice hard-boiled egg for breakfast today!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Bottom line is this - eggs don't cause heart disease, but sugar does.

Yeesh.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

A rigorously done new study shows that those with the highest sugar intake had a four-fold increase in their risk of heart attacks compared to those with the lowest intakes. That's 400 percent! Just one 20-ounce soda increases your risk of a heart attack by about 30 percent.

This study of more than 40,000 people, published in JAMA Internal Medicine, accounted for all other potential risk factors including total calories, overall diet quality, smoking, cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity and alcohol.

Bottom line is this - eggs don't cause heart disease, but sugar does. I had a nice hard-boiled egg for breakfast today!

You seriously need to reconsider your definition of cause. The above study draws a correlation between sugar intake and CVD risk factors.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Ok I'm in on this. Table sugar eaten by the spoonful isn't running rampant across the U.S. Wealthy countries tend to have an abundance of food high in calories and low in nutrition. None of this is new information. We are over stressed, over worked and under paid which leads to hectic lifestyles and little time to plan / cook healthy meals. It's a lifestyle choice. Once you decide to prioritize your health - or it chooses for you because you become diabetic or other illness which requires you to watch your diet - then choices become more in focus. Personally I feel crappy when I eat too much processed food (which was my entire life until recently) and just really enjoy the way I feel now since I've started eating more wisely.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    With reference to the 500 extra calories... We can still eat low calorie and unknowingly go overboard on fructose, the main culprit in the fight against obesity..... That is the problem at hand
    Elaborate. I truly doubt that people are getting obese eating too much fruit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member

weird. i thought manipulation of facts to the point that they become outright lies in order to scare people into believe food propaganda was the problem at hand. i'll guess i'll re-read the thread to make sure we're on the same page
    I'm starting to believe that maybe she donked a kettlebell off her head.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member

Bottom line is this - fat doesn't cause heart disease, but sugar does. I had a nice hard-boiled egg for breakfast today!

How many of those 40,000 people actually had heart-attacks, I wonder?

How many people commonly said to have high risk of cardiovascular disease actually have heart-attacks? how many have heart-attacks when they are said to be low risk?

... these researchers need to keep themselves in a job somehow, I suppose.
  • The big difference bewteen a discussion board of performance driven life long athletes and one centered around recovering from significant overeating? Sugar debates.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    The big difference bewteen a discussion board of performance driven life long athletes and one centered around recovering from significant overeating? Sugar debates.

Let's not forget "what counts as water" . . .
  • jonnythan
    The big difference bewteen a discussion board of performance driven life long athletes and one centered around recovering from significant overeating? Sugar debates.

Which one am I?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

Which one am I?

You MUST be Wilford Brimley.
  • jonnythan

How many of those 40,000 people actually had heart-attacks, I wonder?

How many people commonly said to have high risk of cardiovascular disease actually have heart-attacks? how many have heart-attacks when they are said to be low risk?

... these researchers need to keep themselves in a job somehow, I suppose.

If you're not even going to skim the abstract of the study, it's probably best if you don't comment on it at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

We can still go overboard on anything and get fat. However, we have this handy dandy calorie tracking thingy here.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    joanne, im thrilled to see you managed to figure out how to rotate your picture.

now to solve the caps-lock issue...

side note: as a graphic designer, i do appreciate a good infographic...so thanks for that.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    My rage just kicked in. Later gators :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    If you're not even going to skim the abstract of the study, it's probably best if you don't comment on it at all.

I actually read the whole study, which is mostly about sugary beverages, and it tells a whole lot more than the 830-odd "CVD-related deaths" over 160,000-odd "person-years" does.

Individual risk-level is still less binary than the posted abstract would have you believe, and it didn't show causation it simply showed association. This is actually written at the very end of the "discussion" portion of the study. They didn't find an increased risk in black Americans or men, though those groups had the highest consumption of added sugar. The suggestion is there, but the connections are tenuous.
  • jonnythan

I actually read the whole study, which is mostly about sugary beverages, and it tells a whole lot more than the 830-odd "CVD-related deaths" over 160,000-odd "person-years" does.

Individual risk-level is still less binary than the posted abstract would have you believe, and it didn't show causation it simply showed association. This is actually written at the very end of the "discussion" portion of the study. They didn't find an increased risk in black Americans or men, though those groups had the highest consumption of added sugar. The suggestion is there, but the connections are tenuous.

So how does that not answer your question?