HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Replies

• Freaks come out of the woodwork when they hear the word sugar :huh:

Joanne, you definitely have balls starting a thread about sugar :wink:

I agree with you Joanne, added sugar is toxic. If someone has scientific proof to back up that it's not, I would honestly love to see it. Thank you :smile:

That's not how proof works. You don't make a claim and then require others to disprove it as you are doing above.

For example if I claim that oranges will eventually cause flaming hemorrhoids, it's my burden to prove it. It is not your burden to disprove it.

Great Minds! :drinker:
  • What do I look like?? :tongue:

I go by what I read ... for example: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/surprising-reasons-give-sugar/story?id=21659361

So what exactly is out there in the internet world that states sugar is okay? Believe me, I want it to be okay!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    What do I look like?? :tongue:

I go by what I read ... for example: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/surprising-reasons-give-sugar/story?id=21659361

So what exactly is out there in the internet world that states sugar is okay? Believe me, I want it to be okay!!!

Does that honestly hit you as a serious article on nutrition?
  • I just remembered something.

A friend of mine on FB said to me, why eat a carrot? Eat a cookie. It has the same amount of sugar and it taste better. So I thought to myself. What am I getting vitamin and antioxidant wise from the cookie? Nada. I actually feel good after eating a carrot whereas I feel sluggish from a cookie.

So, there you have it. That was my scientific experiment. I could be a scientist!!!:bigsmile:
  • What do I look like?? :tongue:

Hey.... it's the SOB :wink:

IDK, that is why I asked for some proof that sugar is okay.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Here's an article by a doctor that claims that microwaves are bad for you.
    http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm

Do you believe it to be true since you go by what you read?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

This is a balanced article on sugar by David Katz, MD. He is the Director of Yale University Prevention Research Centre and provides a good commentary on the subject.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/sugar-health-evil-toxic_b_850032.html

He mentions issues with sugar and palatability (which is a concern especially when you have people in free living scenarios). Clearly, that seems to be the bigger issue than whether sugar is "toxic."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I just remembered something.

A friend of mine on FB said to me, why eat a carrot? Eat a cookie. It has the same amount of sugar and it taste better. So I thought to myself. What am I getting vitamin and antioxidant wise from the cookie? Nada. I actually feel good after eating a carrot whereas I feel sluggish from a cookie.

So, there you have it. That was my scientific experiment. I could be a scientist!!!:bigsmile:
    don't quit your day job....
  • SunofaBeach14

Hey.... it's the SOB :wink:

IDK, that is why I asked for some proof that sugar is okay.

Do the people arguing with you look unhealthy?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

10237222.jpg
  • Oh brother, this place really blows.

Going back to work. If you find something that will interest me, message me.

Ciao~
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Freaks come out of the woodwork when they hear the word sugar :huh:

I agree with you Joanne, added sugar is toxic. If someone has scientific proof to back up that it's not, I would honestly love to see it. Thank you :smile:

you don't get to make a claim and then tell others to verify or disprove it....the burden is on you to prove that sugar is "toxic"...I will not hold my breath while I wait for you to find said proof.
  • SunofaBeach14

Is the choice only between cookies and carrots? What if you've already had plenty of carrots for the day? Is one more really going to help?
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member

Here's an article by a doctor that claims that microwaves are bad for you.
    http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm

Do you believe it to be true since you go by what you read?

Aren't we supposed to refer to them as death boxes now? lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Freaks come out of the woodwork when they hear the word sugar :huh:

Who would these freaks be?

Also, the burden of proof lays at the feet of the person making the claim. Do you have anything to support *your* claim?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Oh brother, this place really blows.

Ciao~

And the rest of us continue to be successful and eat cookies.

I pity some people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Oh brother, this place really blows.

Ciao~

Nice retreat. If you find something that will actually support your assertions, message me
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    What is special about "added" as compared to "naturally occurring" sugars? I mean, what differences are there at a molecular level?

They can be different variations of sugars, but you're missing the forest for the trees. To keep sugar in a particular range it's simply easier to drink black coffee over "light & sweet" coffee than it is to cut out foods that naturally contain sugars and lose the other nutrientsas well.

I see the forest just fine. It's others in this discussion who are inches away from one particular tree, staring at it intently and insisting that it is the one and only essential tree to the overall plan of walking through the forest.

Apparently not or there wouldn't have been such a nonsequitor.

That you didn't grasp my analogy doesn't make it inapplicable.

I'll assume that others in this thread understood it just fine.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

Not really - it's all she does. It's like she is a robot programmed to spam misinformation as often as possible.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Sugar, ah, honey, honey
    You are my candy girl
    And you got me wanting you
    Honey, ah, sugar, sugar
    You are my candy girl
    And you got me wanting you

So sweet! I like this thread since Valentine's Day is coming up! Now I want a peppermint patty....