HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Replies

• fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    I wonder what health problems I'm supposed to have from my sugar consumption.

Since the thread was about the AHA recommendation, let's ask them:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

"Added sugars contribute zero nutrients but many added calories that can lead to extra pounds or even obesity, thereby reducing heart health."

They don't recommend eliminating sugar from your diet. They do distinguish between added sugar and naturally occurring sugar. And they say that the negative health effect results from eating too many calories. Do you disagree with that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I just remembered something.

A friend of mine on FB said to me, why eat a carrot? Eat a cookie. It has the same amount of sugar and it taste better. So I thought to myself. What am I getting vitamin and antioxidant wise from the cookie? Nada. I actually feel good after eating a carrot whereas I feel sluggish from a cookie.

So, there you have it. That was my scientific experiment. I could be a scientist!!!:bigsmile:

Because you get absolutely no nutrition from the rest of your diet and a cookie has absolutely no nutrition..sounds legit.

Mental health is also important.

I feel good after eating a cookie....that's my scientific experiment....sounds legit also.
  • I just remembered something.

A friend of mine on FB said to me, why eat a carrot? Eat a cookie. It has the same amount of sugar and it taste better. So I thought to myself. What am I getting vitamin and antioxidant wise from the cookie? Nada. I actually feel good after eating a carrot whereas I feel sluggish from a cookie.

So, there you have it. That was my scientific experiment. I could be a scientist!!!:bigsmile:

Because you get absolutely no nutrition from the rest of your diet and a cookie has absolutely no nutrition..sounds legit.

I feel good after eating a cookie....that's my scientific experiment....sounds legit also.

Who are you to tell me I get no nutrition? I am a very healthy eater!

I posted my link, don't bother me till yours (not just you personally) is posted.

Thank you. Now I really have to work!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

"Added sugars contribute zero nutrients but many added calories that can lead to extra pounds or even obesity, thereby reducing heart health."

They don't recommend eliminating sugar from your diet. They do distinguish between added sugar and naturally occurring sugar. And they say that the negative health effect results from eating too many calories. Do you disagree with that?

Does that article sound even slightly jumbled to you? It's typical wording by committee because no one wants to tell the general public the truth because they know the general public will only hear "sugar isn't bad " rather than "cut your calorie intake." These messages are not crafted for the more educated segment of the population.
  • Sarauk2sf

I posted my link, don't bother me till yours (not just you personally) is posted.

Oh dear lawd...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

She was making the point that you should evaluate the nutrition of your entire diet, not the nutrition on a per food basis since you can get adequate nutrients in your diet and still have room for treats. For example if you ate 20 carrots today, and later you have to decide between a carrot and some ice cream, the ice cream could be the better choice over carrot #21.

Next, if you read your link closely the information it is based on comes from Robert Lustig.
    Please see here:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Please note the references.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

LOL she isn't saying that.

Also a link I am sure that has been shared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I Alan Aragon on "Is Sugar toxic" - 40 minute video.
  • SunofaBeach14

LOL she isn't saying that.

Also a link I am sure that has been shared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I Alan Aragon on "Is Sugar toxic" - 40 minute video.

It's just bad trolling
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

Joanne, you definitely have balls starting a thread about sugar :wink:

Not really - it's all she does. It's like she is a robot programmed to spam misinformation as often as possible.

lol....the sugar spam misinformation bot?
  • Sarauk2sf

She was making the point that you should evaluate the nutrition of your entire diet, not the nutrition on a per food basis since you can get adequate nutrients in your diet and still have room for treats. For example if you ate 20 carrots today, and later you have to decide between a carrot and some ice cream, the ice cream could be the better choice over carrot #21.

Next, if you read your link closely the information it is based on comes from Robert Lustig.
    Please see here:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Thank you. I did not realize that someone's sarcasm meter would be quite that broken.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Please see here:

Thank you. I did not realize that someone's sarcasm meter would be quite that broken.

Now we're even for that one time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

I disagree with their premise insofar as it doesn't seem to pertain to those on a calorie-restricted diet (as most are who are using MFP to track their calories). For those not tracking calories, yes, cutting out a source of easy calories will likely lead to fewer total calories which would reduce obesity, but they present zero evidence that there is any benefit in an otherwise well-rounded, calorie-restricted diet. Their distinction between added sugar and naturally occurring is based on an assumption that people are not eating a well-rounded diet as well.

Is it generally good guidance for the general population? Sure, even if for the wrong reasons. There just doesn't seem to be any basis for applying it outside those specific parameters.
  • fast_eddie_72

Does that article sound even slightly jumbled to you? It's typical wording by committee because no one wants to tell the general public the truth because they know the general public will only hear "sugar isn't bad " rather than "cut your calorie intake." These messages are not crafted for the more educated segment of the population.

Huh. Maybe. I thought it sounded like pretty reasonable advice. What I got from it was eating too many calories will make you gain weight, which is exactly what I read here. And eating too many foods with added sugar may contribute to eating too many calories, which would be clear to anyone tracking their food and trying to hit calorie and macro targets - like most people here. I thought it supported IIFYM completely. And I like how it makes a specific recommendation about moderating, but not eliminating added sugar from your diet - again, pretty much exactly what IIFYM is all about. But I could be wrong.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I wonder if this is what people felt like in the 80s when the prevailing wisdom was to avoid dietary fat. It must be bewildering for many people to try and navigate themselves around the nutritional landscape.

What does sugar have in common with fat? It makes food highly palatable.

What happens when you combine sugar with fat?

Mind = blown.
  • fast_eddie_72

I disagree with their premise insofar as it doesn't seem to pertain to those on a calorie-restricted diet (as most are who are using MFP to track their calories). For those not tracking calories, yes, cutting out a source of easy calories will likely lead to fewer total calories which would reduce obesity, but they present zero evidence that there is any benefit in an otherwise well-rounded, calorie-restricted diet. Their distinction between added sugar and naturally occurring is based on an assumption that people are not eating a well-rounded diet as well.

Is it generally good guidance for the general population? Sure, even if for the wrong reasons. There just doesn't seem to be any basis for applying it outside those specific parameters.

That exactly what made me think it was right on. There are no claims that added sugar is bad in any way *other* than providing a lot of calories with no nutritional value. Their only reason for recommending moderation was to avoid consuming too many calories. None of the other claims that people here find annoying were made. Nothing about causing cancer or even directly causing heart disease. Just adding calories that have no nutritional value. If you drink a 12 pack of non diet soda every day, it would make it really hard (impossible?) to hit your calorie goal and your macros. I think that's the whole point and very much in keeping with IIFYM.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

LOL exactly.

@sunofabeach - I feel like I've been raised on message boards since my adolescence and still have horrible troll radar :(
  • SunofaBeach14

LOL exactly.

@sunofabeach - I feel like I've been raised on message boards since my adolescence and still have horrible troll radar :(

lol - I'm not much of an expert myself there
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I lived in sugar/carb fear.

but since incorporating weights into my routine and starting running training I have been HANGRY

I now do a "modified" version of low carb..... there are no fruits and veggies off limits anymore. Somedays I go over on my sugars but it is coming from fruits and not candy bars.

I still wont touch bread, potatoes (only sweet potatoes), rice, crackers, etc. But there is no longer any fruit/veg off my menu.

why can you eat sweet potatoes and not regular potatoes?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I think the point really is this:

sugar drives palatability. Palatability drives over consumption. Over consumption drives excess calories. Excess calories drives weight gain. Weight gain drives obesity. Obesity drives disease.