HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I actually read about this guy who ate practically no solid food, and ate 2000 calories of added sugar each day in 25 cups of tea (and only 400 calories of real food). His lack of macros and micros resulted in a bodyweight like 90 lbs or something. It was on a British TV show apparently.

Apparently a "calorie" is not really a calorie after all. ;-)

It was on "Supersize v Superskinny".

I literally watched that entire episode with my mouth open. The dude was taking in 2,500 calorie per day of which 2,000 calories came from added sugar in his tea. He was dangerously underweight.

Was Lustig in the background using this quantity of sugar in a study to suggest that any dose of sugar is therefore toxic, since clearly someone taking in 80% of their intake in straight sugar means that sugar is bad in any quantity for all populations?

:bigsmile:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Are you people sure that guy ate a pound of sugar in his tea a day? Cause that's how much you need for 2000 calories.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I actually read about this guy who ate practically no solid food, and ate 2000 calories of added sugar each day in 25 cups of tea (and only 400 calories of real food). His lack of macros and micros resulted in a bodyweight like 90 lbs or something. It was on a British TV show apparently.

I literally watched that entire episode with my mouth open. The dude was taking in 2,500 calorie per day of which 2,000 calories came from added sugar in his tea. He was dangerously underweight.

Was Lustig in the background using this quantity of sugar in a study to suggest that any dose of sugar is therefore toxic, since clearly someone taking in 80% of their intake in straight sugar means that sugar is bad in any quantity for all populations?

Lulz - he may have been in the background doing a bit of twerking. He may or may not have had a big foam hand as well...

One thing that is clear is that the conversation on sugar is pretty different in the UK than it is in the US about sugar. Over here we are still trying to get off the low fat train and sugar is very much a side issue with regard to public policy. The advice is pretty middle of the road: watch your consumption of sugary, processed foods. We haven't got to the stage thankfully where people are scared to eat...fruit.
  • msf74
    Options
    Are you people sure that guy ate a pound of sugar in his tea a day? Cause that's how much you need for 2000 calories.

Yes, he had five spoons of sugar in his cups of tea.

He had 25 cups of tea...a day. I kid you not!
  • SideSteel
    Options

Lulz - he may have been in the background doing a bit of twerking. He may or may not have had a big foam hand as well...

LOL
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    nursing-your-sweet-tooth4_zps58b85fb9.jpg

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION IS NOW WARNING US

Americans are swallowing 22 teaspoons of sugar each day, and it's time to cut way back, the American Heart Association says.
    What's way back? 10 percent is recommended; and 10 percent of 1200 is 30 GRAMS, 1500 is 38 grams and 2000 is 50 grams.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

When you're still hungry, and you've already run out of calories for the day? :wink:
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Well ****. Only way how he can take that much sugar to him and end up underweight is if he pisses half of it out again.
  • msf74
    Options

Would this be the same AMA which, in an effort to combat childhood obesity, teamed up with the NFL to promote the "Play60" programme?

You know the one where they recommend kids drink chocolate milk instead of fizzy drinks despite the fact it contains double the calories and 20% more sugar on a like for like basis than Coke?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I have no idea what you just wrote.

He weighed 90 pounds at the end? He lost 90 pounds? He gained 90 pounds? How do they know it was a lack of macros and micros and not just too few (too many?) calories?

I was thinking the same thing..

translation, anyone?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have no idea what you just wrote.

He weighed 90 pounds at the end? He lost 90 pounds? He gained 90 pounds? How do they know it was a lack of macros and micros and not just too few (too many?) calories?

I was thinking the same thing..

translation, anyone?
    Keep reading. Others saw the same show and clarified. He weighed 90 pounds.

I would be sick if I ate hardly anything but tea and sugar.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    These damn things have made my sugar levels increase. Chocolate protein bars >>> I got them cheap, and have been eating too many :(

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-chox/10847275.html

Please someone tell me why they are bad and that I should trade in for good old Quest bars.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    nursing-your-sweet-tooth4_zps58b85fb9.jpg

Americans are swallowing 22 teaspoons of sugar each day, and it's time to cut way back, the American Heart Association says.
    What's way back? 10 percent is recommended; and 10 percent of 1200 is 30 GRAMS, 1500 is 38 grams and 2000 is 50 grams.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

Then the AHA should stop telling people who can vegetables to stop adding high fructose corn syrup to it.

It would be nice to buy a can of corn or beans and not have extra sugar included.

I also think its funny how you stated teaspoons first, and then talk about grams. Remember gram is a weight measure and teaspoon is a volume measure. Thanks!

ETA: More info on the recommended levels/conversion: So if you are consuming a can of coke with 39 grams of sugar, you would divide 39 by 4.2 (this is the approximate number of grams per tablespoon of sugar) which is equal to about 9.28 teaspoons of sugar. So in the 1500 cal scenario of 38 grams, then you can have 4 12oz cokes and meet your sugar goal still.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to buy a can of corn or beans and not have extra sugar included.

So buy frozen corn and dry beans. There are alternatives.
  • mam479
    mam479 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Would this be the same AMA which, in an effort to combat childhood obesity, teamed up with the NFL to promote the "Play60" programme?

You know the one where they recommend kids drink chocolate milk instead of fizzy drinks despite the fact it contains double the calories and 20% more sugar on a like for like basis than Coke?

Except low fat chocolate milk is actually a very good post exercise drink, with numerous evidence published in peer reviewed journal articles.

Milk is full of Lactose, not high fuctose corn syrup that is typically found in Coke. The combination of carbohydrate, milk protein, fluid, and electrolytes may promote muscle glycogen resynthesis and rehydration to speed recovery between exercise sessions. Though admittedly the reason that chocolate milk (over non chocolate because of its extra carbohydrates) is such a good drink is not well understood.

Citations: The Effects of Low Fat Chocolate Milk on Postexercise Recovery in Collegiate Athletes.
    Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Volume 25(12), December 2011, pp 3456-3460

Chocolate Milk and Endurance Exercise Recovery: Protein Balance, Glycogen, and Performance. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Volume 44(4), April 2012, p 682–691

Effects Of Chocolate Milk Consumption On Leucine Kinetics During Recovery From Endurance Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Volume 42(5) Supplement 1, May 2010, p 171

Improved endurance capacity following chocolate milk consumption compared with 2 commercially available sport drinks. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 2009, 34(1): 78-8

So yes. THAT American Heart Association.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    Freaks come out of the woodwork when they hear the word sugar :huh:

Joanne, you definitely have balls starting a thread about sugar :wink:

I agree with you Joanne, added sugar is toxic. If someone has scientific proof to back up that it's not, I would honestly love to see it. Thank you :smile:
  • msf74
    Options
    Except low fat chocolate milk is actually a very good post exercise drink, with numerous evidence published in peer reviewed journal articles.

Milk is full of Lactose, not high fuctose corn syrup that is typically found in Coke. The combination of carbohydrate, milk protein, fluid, and electrolytes may promote muscle glycogen resynthesis and rehydration to speed recovery between exercise sessions. Though admittedly the reason that chocolate milk (over non chocolate because of its extra carbohydrates) is such a good drink is not well understood.

Citations: The Effects of Low Fat Chocolate Milk on Postexercise Recovery in Collegiate Athletes.
    Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Volume 25(12), December 2011, pp 3456-3460

Chocolate Milk and Endurance Exercise Recovery: Protein Balance, Glycogen, and Performance. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Volume 44(4), April 2012, p 682–691

Effects Of Chocolate Milk Consumption On Leucine Kinetics During Recovery From Endurance Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Volume 42(5) Supplement 1, May 2010, p 171

Improved endurance capacity following chocolate milk consumption compared with 2 commercially available sport drinks. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 2009, 34(1): 78-8

So yes. THAT American Heart Association.

Yes, because kids on that programme are involved in multiple sessions of glycogen depleting workouts per day and need an efficient method of refuelling to ensure their athletic performance does not suffer in between bouts of training.

The message is utterly misleading. The "health halo" isn't a good basis for making recommendations without appropriate context.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Ignoring the unscientific way you proposed this, the fact iifym works is evidence that no, it's not "toxic" when in a balanced diet.
    If you eat nothing else, well no s**t Sherlock, you also shouldn't just eat broccoli or just eat meat cause of missing macro and micro nutrients.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    What is special about "added" as compared to "naturally occurring" sugars? I mean, what differences are there at a molecular level?

They can be different variations of sugars, but you're missing the forest for the trees. To keep sugar in a particular range it's simply easier to drink black coffee over "light & sweet" coffee than it is to cut out foods that naturally contain sugars and lose the other nutrientsas well.

I see the forest just fine. It's others in this discussion who are inches away from one particular tree, staring at it intently and insisting that it is the one and only essential tree to the overall plan of walking through the forest.

Apparently not or there wouldn't have been such a nonsequitor.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

I agree with you Joanne, added sugar is toxic. If someone has scientific proof to back up that it's not, I would honestly love to see it. Thank you :smile:

Ummmm. The burn of proof is on YOU to provide that it IS, not that it ISNT.

Thats kinda how it works. We should all reasonably assume here that you never killed anyone and are not a murderer. Theres no proof that you need to substantiate a claim that you are NOT one. But if we accused you of being one, then of course we would have to provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Since you are accusing sugar of being toxic. Wheres your proof? Unless you want to argue about "added sugar" and then we are no longer arguing about the same thing. It then becomes semantics. Because "added sugar" is not a measurable quantitative value, its your opinion.

Like its my opinion that adding high fructose corn syrup to canned vegetables in unnecessary, but it still doesnt make it toxic because I dont believe the extra amount should be there.
  • SideSteel
    Options

That's not how proof works. You don't make a claim and then require others to disprove it as you are doing above.

For example if I claim that oranges will eventually cause flaming hemorrhoids, it's my burden to prove it. It is not your burden to disprove it.