HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I suddenly feel the urge for a Coca Cola. Can't figure out why...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I wonder what health problems I'm supposed to have from my sugar consumption.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I wonder what health problems I'm supposed to have from my sugar consumption.
    I wouldn't expect any. Going back over a year and seeing most days your total sugar was well under 75g a day seems down right low. And yet for me trying to eat only "healthy" foods and no junk (whole grains and lots of fruits and vegetables) it wasn't unusual for my sugar to exceed 150g a day even though I was eating more than 1,000 fewer calories than you.

I think instead of telling people that sugar doesn't matter in a calorie controlled diet more people would benefit from some total sugar recommendations.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I get more sugar than that from fruit. :noway:

1) If you are tracking total energy intake, setting your macros reasonably, and eating "mostly whole foods" and limiting your "junk food" to a reasonable portion of total calories then you don't really need to bother tracking sugar at all.

2) The AHA recommendations are based on added sugars and they exclude naturally occurring sugars.

EDIT: In fact, I'll type more.....

It's important to note a few things: The American Heart association is basing their sugar recommendation on roughly half (give or take) of one's discretionary calorie intake. You can see evidence of that from this study which is where their sugar recommendations are coming from.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf

They are basically giving a range of discretionary calories (calories that you are free to spend once nutrient needs are met with the other calories) from about 10 to 20% and then taking roughly half of that coming straight from added sugar.

So in short, this recommendation (again, by the AHA) is based on total energy intake.

For an active male who may maintain on 3000 calories, they would recommend 512 discretionary calories of which 288kcals could come from added sugars. Note that this does not include naturally occurring sugars which is somewhat silly since it's all sugar.

Finally, note in the text that one concern of added sugars it that it causes people to expand their discretionary intake beyond their recommended limits which could effect nutrient sufficiency of the overall diet. If this is their reason for limiting sugar to half of the discretionary calories then you could basically double that sugar limit provided that you're still sticking to a reasonable discretionary intake.

SideSteel: fighting irrational food phobia and indecipherable low res infographics with actual information and helpful practical advice, one post at a time.

Jonnythan--you know I am not food phobic and everything that I put in my post was backed up by sound research. I made a point of saying that scientists have determined that the ratio of carbohydrates needs to be in proportion to activity levels and age. What about that do you disagree with or are you and S.O.B. just interested in being insulting?
  • SanteMulberry
    tinfoil hat and head to basement time folks…

in….for more sugar scaring….

Go read about Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

1) If you are tracking total energy intake, setting your macros reasonably, and eating "mostly whole foods" and limiting your "junk food" to a reasonable portion of total calories then you don't really need to bother tracking sugar at all.

2) The AHA recommendations are based on added sugars and they exclude naturally occurring sugars.

It's important to note a few things: The American Heart association is basing their sugar recommendation on roughly half (give or take) of one's discretionary calorie intake. You can see evidence of that from this study which is where their sugar recommendations are coming from.

They are basically giving a range of discretionary calories (calories that you are free to spend once nutrient needs are met with the other calories) from about 10 to 20% and then taking roughly half of that coming straight from added sugar.

So in short, this recommendation (again, by the AHA) is based on total energy intake.

For an active male who may maintain on 3000 calories, they would recommend 512 discretionary calories of which 288kcals could come from added sugars. Note that this does not include naturally occurring sugars which is somewhat silly since it's all sugar.

Finally, note in the text that one concern of added sugars it that it causes people to expand their discretionary intake beyond their recommended limits which could effect nutrient sufficiency of the overall diet. If this is their reason for limiting sugar to half of the discretionary calories then you could basically double that sugar limit provided that you're still sticking to a reasonable discretionary intake.

SideSteel: fighting irrational food phobia and indecipherable low res infographics with actual information and helpful practical advice, one post at a time.

Jonnythan--you know I am not food phobic and everything that I put in my post was backed up by sound research. I made a point of saying that scientists have determined that the ratio of carbohydrates needs to be in proportion to activity levels and age. What about that do you disagree with or are you and S.O.B. just interested in being insulting?

Finally! It only took 2 months for someone to use my proper initials! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this thread was about you. My mistake.
  • SanteMulberry

I think it is safe to assume that hose who are eating mostly whole foods do not need to worry because eating mostly whole foods would keep total sugar at about 10 percent. But it is the "average" american that does need to worry. The average american is eating almost 90 grams of sugar a day. So much about nutrition is so confusing to most people, through no fault of their own. Good health and fitness is not really that difficult to understand without all the confusion that has been thrown at everyone... low this.. low that... It has all been driven by money at the expense of our health. I's criminal, in my opinion.

Medical experts are suggesting keeping FRUCTOSE at 25 grams and that is why 10 percent of calories is what is recommended; that would include all sugar, including natural sugar. It is not the glucose in the sugar that is the problem; it is the fructose.

What I always say is the proof is in the pudding. When sugar is reduced to about that level, everything gets better, not just weight!

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    It's the extra 500 calories kids are consuming from added sugar in general, not the fructose in them.

Our greatest single exposure to fructose is in added sugar (sucrose, which is 50% fructose, and high fructose corn syrup). Fructose in excess acts like a "fat switch". All mammals will seek a source of fructose in order to add fat in anticipation of food scarcity. As an example, black bears will gorge on massive quantities of wild blueberries at the end of summer in order to spur fat production (as preparation for hibernation). When we gorge on sugar, we are doing exactly the same thing...only thing is--"winter" never comes. Check out the research on this subject that is being done at the University of Colorado by the team headed by Richard J. Johnson, M.D. chief of the renal division at their medical center there.
  • SanteMulberry

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this thread was about you. My mistake.

Good comeback! :tongue:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

Sigh-desteel :blushing: :love: : fighting irrational food phobia and indecipherable low res infographics with actual information and helpful practical advice, one post at a time.

Fixed to reflect the opinions of most of the female MFP population.

Also, this ^^^
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Wow, thanks for sharing that. I know I eat way too much sugar. But ever since I quit smoking I think I replaced it with sweets. Most days I'm on the fringe (according to MFP anyway) but I have really been learning that my cravings are not just habitual. The other foods in my diet could be sabotaging me too.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Wow, thanks for sharing that. I know I eat way too much sugar. But ever since I quit smoking I think I replaced it with sweets. Most days I'm on the fringe (according to MFP anyway) but I have really been learning that my cravings are not just habitual. The other foods in my diet could be sabotaging me too.

I know you're not asking my my opinion, but rather than fearing certain foods of sabotaging your efforts, perhaps look at things proactively. Seek out whole food sources like fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish, dairy (if you tolerate it), whole grains, and if you are capable of using some moderation with sugary snacks, then feel free to include some of those too if you can stay at your calorie goal, and you will do very well without fearing the sugar boogeyman.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I think it is safe to assume that hose who are eating mostly whole foods do not need to worry because eating mostly whole foods would keep total sugar at about 10 percent. But it is the "average" american that does need to worry. The average american is eating almost 90 grams of sugar a day. So much about nutrition is so confusing to most people, through no fault of their own. Good health and fitness is not really that difficult to understand without all the confusion that has been thrown at everyone... low this.. low that... It has all been driven by money at the expense of our health. I's criminal, in my opinion.

Medical experts are suggesting keeping FRUCTOSE at 25 grams and that is why 10 percent of calories is what is recommended; that would include all sugar, including natural sugar. It is not the glucose in the sugar that is the problem; it is the fructose.

What I always say is the proof is in the pudding. When sugar is reduced to about that level, everything gets better, not just weight!

Joanne Moniz

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    It's the extra 500 calories kids are consuming from added sugar in general, not the fructose in them.

Our greatest single exposure to fructose is in added sugar (sucrose, which is 50% fructose, and high fructose corn syrup). Fructose in excess acts like a "fat switch". All mammals will seek a source of fructose in order to add fat in anticipation of food scarcity. As an example, black bears will gorge on massive quantities of wild blueberries at the end of summer in order to spur fat production (as preparation for hibernation). When we gorge on sugar, we are doing exactly the same thing...only thing is--"winter" never comes. Check out the research on this subject that is being done at the University of Colorado by the team headed by Richard J. Johnson, M.D. chief of the renal division at their medical center there.

Food in excess acts as a fat switch. Hybernating bears =/= active humans. Also, I assume 'gorging' means eating in excess (to gain weight) - no-one is suggesting that 'gorging' on sugar is a good idea. Don't bears also eat lots of salmon?

I actually looked up the study (I assume that this is what you were referring to) - interesting hypothesis. Will be interesting to see if they come to any conclusion after further study.

http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/docs/johnson-347ajcn review.pdf

In an earlier post you stated:

" I made a point of saying that scientists have determined that the ratio of carbohydrates needs to be in proportion to activity levels and age."

I did not see you mention age earlier. Do you have any links/articles (not being 'cute' - actually interested).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

Joanne Moniz

So basically it has little to do with over consumption as the reason we as a society are getting fat and the blame can squarely be placed on some add sugars as the trigger...... Good to know....... :drinker:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member

Joanne Moniz

Animals don't seek out fructose they seek foods in general for fat accumulation for hibernation and survival purposes. Your on a mission to prove yourself right.
  • SanteMulberry

Joanne Moniz

That's the confounding issue with a lot of this, sugar or fructose gets demonized but we're usually dealing with a population of people who are overconsuming calories and reducing activity through lots of video-game-triggered-*kitten*-sitting.

Children are naturally very active if their sugar intake is limited. As in all of nature excessive fructose intake causes sluggishness. The black bears are quite roly poly and sluggish at the end of summer. Dr. Johnson found that they actually have metabolic syndrome from eating so much fructose. They decided to test their theory on human subjects (normal weight males--not sure how many). They had each of them drink a large dose (not massive--well within the range of many obese folk) of a fructose drink every day in addition to their regular food. What they wanted to find was that there was some kind of mechanism that normal weight individuals have that prevents them from developing metabolic syndrome when eating excessive fructose. They were startled to discover that 60% of their test subjects developed metabolic syndrome IN TWO WEEKS! Naturally, they were chagrined but discovered that they could put them on a fructose-free diet and reverse the metabolic syndrome. They found strong links between excessive fructose consumption and obesity, metabolic syndrome, hypertension (one element of metabolic syndrome) NAFLD, Type II diabetes, renal disease and failure. They have been given a NIH grant to study the epidemic of renal disease and failure among sugar cane workers in Central America. What Dr. Johnson and his team expect to find is that it is related to the workers' habit of drinking large amounts of soda pop and sugar-sweetened fruit juice in the very, very hot sugar cane fields. Fructose consumption contributes to high uric acid levels and, in turn, the high uric acid, under conditions of dehydration, forms needle-like crystals in the kidneys of these unfortunate people and destroys their renal function.
  • SanteMulberry

Joanne Moniz

Animals don't seek out fructose they seek foods in general for fat accumulation for hibernation and survival purposes. Your on a mission to prove yourself right.

You are wrong about that--check our Dr. Johnson's research. I couldn't care less about being right. I care that people get the information they need to get well.
  • SanteMulberry

Joanne Moniz

So basically it has little to do with over consumption as the reason we as a society are getting fat and the blame can squarely be placed on some add sugars as the trigger...... Good to know....... :drinker:

Eating sugar spurs over consumption of all foods. Almost EVERY item on McDonald's menu has added sugar in it. Hmmm--I wonder why that is? Could it be that they have figured out that if they add sugar to any food, that we will eat more of it!!! :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member

Joanne Moniz

You are wrong about that--check our Dr. Johnson's research. I couldn't care less about being right. I care that people get the information they need to get well.
    Are you saying that bears have diabetes and atherosclerosis from eating too much fructose? Also massive amounts generally means in excess of daily requirements, which then leads to fat accumulation, not from fructose.......
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    All. Da. Sugarz.