THE WALKING DEAD

Options

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I doubt that was Beth. Beth was taken. Terminus is set up to lure people to them. Plus, they have several in holding. They really don't need to go out looking for "food".

Beth was taken by some other group that we will learn about in the fall, I'm sure.

I agree with this. I think Beth was taken by some crazy person totally independent of Terminus.
  • lindsay942
    Options
    Miss this show , the UK axed it GRR BUT I believe back on soon
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I doubt that was Beth. Beth was taken. Terminus is set up to lure people to them. Plus, they have several in holding. They really don't need to go out looking for "food".

Beth was taken by some other group that we will learn about in the fall, I'm sure.

I agree with this. I think Beth was taken by some crazy person totally independent of Terminus.

That would be too bad, I think I would much prefer her as a rack of ribs. My meat doesn't generally talk, and that's usually where I start to have an issue with her....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The only thing that annoys me is we have to wait til October again.

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.

On the Talking Dead, the writer actually stated that they had done that because they wanted to make a comparison to the way that Rick was and the man that he is becoming. And at one point, they had interviewed Norman Reedus and he had stated that the characters really can't go back to being the people that they were. I think that was the purpose of those scenes. Just to show the audience that we are about to see another evolution of Rick, one I think the fans are going to find more palatable than earlier versions.

To the person that doesn't like the show because the characters make mistakes. The reality is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, and we have to learn from those mistakes and carry on. The show would not be realistic at all if the characters were making smart decisions all of the time. Rick has made his mistakes, even when he wasn't realizing it (like taking Hershel's advice and settling in to life at the prison), and now he has learned from them. Moving forward into next season, we will see probably the most powerful, calculating, and controlled Rick than ever before.

but we've already seen these scenes in previous episodes and seasons. it seems like they are covering old ground regarding Rick's "transformation". we get it. when he killed Shane. when his wife died. when Herschel died. again and again we've been subjected to the showrunners heavyhanded and hamfisted writing in this regard.

I know they seemed similar, but those were actually new scenes. They specifically told the actor that plays Hershel to keep his beard because they planned to bring him back for more filming. There were tidbits of info in those scenes that had not been in previous episodes. Those scenes had their purpose, though, I agree... there could have been less of them.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im thinking that Beth was taken by the Funeral Home guy. The house was way too stocked and too clean for someone not to be living there and the bodies in the morgue were fixed up.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Im thinking that Beth was taken by the Funeral Home guy. The house was way too stocked and too clean for someone not to be living there and the bodies in the morgue were fixed up.

I agree. The car that took her looked like a funeral limo with the big cross on the back.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

THIS^^..... The Hunters are a cannibalistic group, so they weren't trying to kill them. They were guiding them to where they wanted to be, so they could surround them and force them in to containment.

It's even explained during the scene where Rick shows Carl how to set up the Rabbit snare. Funnel the prey down your desired path, so you can trap them?

The whole episode is filled with foreshadowing of things to come.
    -The Rabbit Snare
    - The whole episode talking about food, and how hungry they are
    - Rick taking a chunk out of Joe's throat
    - The line "They become part of us, we grow stronger"
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

That and her being taken in a funeral home car is what gave me the same idea.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.

On the Talking Dead, the writer actually stated that they had done that because they wanted to make a comparison to the way that Rick was and the man that he is becoming. And at one point, they had interviewed Norman Reedus and he had stated that the characters really can't go back to being the people that they were. I think that was the purpose of those scenes. Just to show the audience that we are about to see another evolution of Rick, one I think the fans are going to find more palatable than earlier versions.

To the person that doesn't like the show because the characters make mistakes. The reality is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, and we have to learn from those mistakes and carry on. The show would not be realistic at all if the characters were making smart decisions all of the time. Rick has made his mistakes, even when he wasn't realizing it (like taking Hershel's advice and settling in to life at the prison), and now he has learned from them. Moving forward into next season, we will see probably the most powerful, calculating, and controlled Rick than ever before.

but we've already seen these scenes in previous episodes and seasons. it seems like they are covering old ground regarding Rick's "transformation". we get it. when he killed Shane. when his wife died. when Herschel died. again and again we've been subjected to the showrunners heavyhanded and hamfisted writing in this regard.

I know they seemed similar, but those were actually new scenes. They specifically told the actor that plays Hershel to keep his beard because they planned to bring him back for more filming. There were tidbits of info in those scenes that had not been in previous episodes. Those scenes had their purpose, though, I agree... there could have been less of them.

i didn't mean the literal scenes. i meant metaphorically. we've already been told/shown multiple times that Rick has changed.
  • DrewFerg11
    Options
    Awesome episode, but can someone clear this up for me. Maybe it was just the angle I was watching the TV or the lighting in the room, but when Rick turns towards the camera and say his "screwing with the wrong people" line. I swear it looked like an intentional shadow was cast over his right eye and it looked just like the governor's eye patch.

Idk, maybe I was just seeing things, but I thought it was weird. Foreshadowing?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

THIS^^..... The Hunters are a cannibalistic group, so they weren't trying to kill them. They were guiding them to where they wanted to be, so they could surround them and force them in to containment.

It's even explained during the scene where Rick shows Carl how to set up the Rabbit snare. Funnel the prey down your desired path, so you can trap them?

The whole episode is filled with foreshadowing of things to come.
    -The Rabbit Snare
    - The whole episode talking about food, and how hungry they are
    - Rick taking a chunk out of Joe's throat
    - The line "They become part of us, we grow stronger"

Yep, there was a definite theme to this episode. Obviously, they are telling us that even in the zombie apocalypse, man is still the most formidable, most frightening, and greatest of threats on earth.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Miss this show , the UK axed it GRR BUT I believe back on soon

Definitely still on in the UK. I'm going to say on the channel FX?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Awesome episode, but can someone clear this up for me. Maybe it was just the angle I was watching the TV or the lighting in the room, but when Rick turns towards the camera and say his "screwing with the wrong people" line. I swear it looked like an intentional shadow was cast over his right eye and it looked just like the governor's eye patch.

Idk, maybe I was just seeing things, but I thought it was weird. Foreshadowing?

Oooh, nice catch. I'm sure that was intentional.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

i didn't mean the literal scenes. i meant metaphorically. we've already been told/shown multiple times that Rick has changed.

Okay... well I don't really know what you are looking for here, Burro. Are you wanting Rick to stay the same?

Like I said, there was a lot of info, like Glenn having Hershel's watch, that was presented in those scenes. Sure, the primary purpose was to remind us of an earlier version of Rick and to show us that he was learning from his earlier mistakes, but behind all that, there were little details that they needed to remind us of, and there was a lot of foreshadowing in those scenes too (Tyrese and Carol walking side-by-side).
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Finally Rick blurs the line between biter and human and demonstrates although he is a hot mess, he is capable of the brutality needed to survive in that world. Anyone else notice all the skinned bodies in the gated area of Terminus???

I loved Rick's savagery. It was spot on, and it saved them all. I would have stabbed my child's attacker repeatedly, as well. Not that I'm at all violent, BUT in a post-apocalyptic situation, I think those measures, while not pretty to watch, are fairly sensible when threatened in such a manner.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You have to remember carol and tyrese are out there somewhere too. Also the door to the box car isnt locked....
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

^^Agreed. This season has developed the characters very well. I love seeing all of the aspects of the human (and animal) condition.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Okay... well I don't really know what you are looking for here, Burro. Are you wanting Rick to stay the same?

Like I said, there was a lot of info, like Glenn having Hershel's watch, that was presented in those scenes. Sure, the primary purpose was to remind us of an earlier version of Rick and to show us that he was learning from his earlier mistakes, but behind all that, there were little details that they needed to remind us of, and there was a lot of foreshadowing in those scenes too (Tyrese and Carol walking side-by-side).

no. but i don't need the showrunner telling us 6 different times in 6 different episodes that Rick is no longer going to be the nice and sensitive type. we get it. he's changed.

i have no complaints about the flashbacks. i have a complaint about the overall show writing. there are plenty of dumb shows on TV. i am hoping for TWD to be better than that.

everything about the way they entered Terminus screamed "dumb". there were like 5 or 6 people there and yet the Terminus folks were talking about how everybody seemed to find them. that's a big red flag. if it's sanctuary, where is everybody? that's what would be going through my head. i mean, they've already been down this road before with The Governor. their willingness to trust strangers should be near zero. and the circumstances they found when they arrived at Terminus? well, anyone with half a brain could have seen that something wasn't right. a cop should know enough to recon the site first. but that would be the smart thing to do, so that's not allowed in this show apparently.

if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I thought the prison scenes showed the duality of Rick's character to present a whole picture.

I think it was silly to do that during the finale. Most of the fans know he has a dual nature. We know he's sensitive and caring. We don't need a reminder that takes up half the finale. One flashback would've sufficed.

I think it was meant to keep us grounded so that we won't forget the good nature of Rick. I do agree that it was excessive, but they said on the Talking Dead that they brought the actor that plays Hershel back for all of those scenes. I think they also wanted to cling a bit to Hershel's memory.

Hershel provided the sense of morality for the group, and Rick, especially. The flashbacks of Hershel show that continued theme between complete savagery (Rick's reaction to his livelihood being threatened) and civilized rules of engagement (Hershel's gentle, but strong nature). He's too important to dismiss from the show that easily. The show would lose depth, if they discarded that aspect.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Curious to know who here reads the books? Because in the books, Terminus is actually a real sanctuary and a good, positive place. But reading through this thread a little and what a previous poster mentioned about cannibalism... well, in the books the group does in fact meet up with cannibals. They were not Terminus, but still. The show is always doing things a little bit different from the books so as to keep the element of surprise. I'm all of a sudden freaked out about the groups prospects at Terminus and think we could be in for one hell of a wild ride this fall...