THE WALKING DEAD

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    it was a wasted half season in my opinion. just a re-run of the season on Herschel's farm.

i don't need to see angsty character development. i don't need to see survivors CONTINUE to do dumb things like run off into a woods full of zombies with no weapons. i don't need to see pre-teens whining and pouting. i don't need to see 500+ closeups of knives going into zombie skulls every episode. that's what this show gives us.

what i do want to see is practical people working intelligently and quietly to survive the multitude of threats they face in a post-apocalyptic world. this show has rarely delivered that. i'll still watch and maybe the graphic novels don't provide for that either (i don't know, i've never read any of them), but this sure feels an awful lot like every zombie movie i've ever seen - only stretched out over multiple seasons on TV.

there is a reason that there isn't a lot of smart writing on TV... it's because the people in hollywood have contempt for their audience (e.g. the showrunners for Lost). i wish The Walking Dead would stop writing what they think we want (an angsty soap opera set in a zombie context) and would instead give us something intelligent that we can sink our teeth into that has something interesting to show about what it's like to use your brains to survive in a world like this.

*ducks head, waits for incoming*

I can see your point. I DO wonder why they continue to be on the defensive and continue to hide. It seems to me that they could have devised some mass zombie eradication plans (Tractors/tanks with head choppers, to start), gone full on attack with those to find the people who will cure the virus. I mean, I wouldn't be stuck in Georgia, still, if it were me and I was good at defending myself against zombies and a-hole survivors. The fact that people get snuck up on by zombies is hilarious...and climb a freaking tree, for god's sake! They're not very sophisticated in their survival plans.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Honestly, I doubt that was Beth. Beth was taken. Terminus is set up to lure people to them. Plus, they have several in holding. They really don't need to go out looking for "food".

Beth was taken by some other group that we will learn about in the fall, I'm sure.

I agree with this. I think Beth was taken by some crazy person totally independent of Terminus.

That would be too bad, I think I would much prefer her as a rack of ribs. My meat doesn't generally talk, and that's usually where I start to have an issue with her....

^^Lol! Yep. I don't care much for her, either.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The only thing that annoys me is we have to wait til October again.

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.

On the Talking Dead, the writer actually stated that they had done that because they wanted to make a comparison to the way that Rick was and the man that he is becoming. And at one point, they had interviewed Norman Reedus and he had stated that the characters really can't go back to being the people that they were. I think that was the purpose of those scenes. Just to show the audience that we are about to see another evolution of Rick, one I think the fans are going to find more palatable than earlier versions.

To the person that doesn't like the show because the characters make mistakes. The reality is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, and we have to learn from those mistakes and carry on. The show would not be realistic at all if the characters were making smart decisions all of the time. Rick has made his mistakes, even when he wasn't realizing it (like taking Hershel's advice and settling in to life at the prison), and now he has learned from them. Moving forward into next season, we will see probably the most powerful, calculating, and controlled Rick than ever before.

but we've already seen these scenes in previous episodes and seasons. it seems like they are covering old ground regarding Rick's "transformation". we get it. when he killed Shane. when his wife died. when Herschel died. again and again we've been subjected to the showrunners heavyhanded and hamfisted writing in this regard.

I know they seemed similar, but those were actually new scenes. They specifically told the actor that plays Hershel to keep his beard because they planned to bring him back for more filming. There were tidbits of info in those scenes that had not been in previous episodes. Those scenes had their purpose, though, I agree... there could have been less of them.

i didn't mean the literal scenes. i meant metaphorically. we've already been told/shown multiple times that Rick has changed.

Okay... well I don't really know what you are looking for here, Burro. Are you wanting Rick to stay the same?

Like I said, there was a lot of info, like Glenn having Hershel's watch, that was presented in those scenes. Sure, the primary purpose was to remind us of an earlier version of Rick and to show us that he was learning from his earlier mistakes, but behind all that, there were little details that they needed to remind us of, and there was a lot of foreshadowing in those scenes too (Tyrese and Carol walking side-by-side).

no. but i don't need the showrunner telling us 6 different times in 6 different episodes that Rick is no longer going to be the nice and sensitive type. we get it. he's changed.

i have no complaints about the flashbacks. i have a complaint about the overall show writing. there are plenty of dumb shows on TV. i am hoping for TWD to be better than that.

everything about the way they entered Terminus screamed "dumb". there were like 5 or 6 people there and yet the Terminus folks were talking about how everybody seemed to find them. that's a big red flag. if it's sanctuary, where is everybody? that's what would be going through my head. i mean, they've already been down this road before with The Governor. their willingness to trust strangers should be near zero. and the circumstances they found when they arrived at Terminus? well, anyone with half a brain could have seen that something wasn't right. a cop should know enough to recon the site first. but that would be the smart thing to do, so that's not allowed in this show apparently.

if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Look, like I said, if they didn't make mistakes, then it wouldn't be realistic... or dramatic. It would be boring. And honestly, Rick is liable to change again. People always evolve their personalities and belief systems, especially when thrown into desperate situations.

I'm just curious. If you are so disappointed with the show and its writing, why are you still watching it?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

THIS^^..... The Hunters are a cannibalistic group, so they weren't trying to kill them. They were guiding them to where they wanted to be, so they could surround them and force them in to containment.

It's even explained during the scene where Rick shows Carl how to set up the Rabbit snare. Funnel the prey down your desired path, so you can trap them?

The whole episode is filled with foreshadowing of things to come.
    -The Rabbit Snare
    - The whole episode talking about food, and how hungry they are
    - Rick taking a chunk out of Joe's throat
    - The line "They become part of us, we grow stronger"

^^Yep. I thought of the different methods of trapping prey and the survival measures theme, as well.

Honestly, the name "Terminus," itself doesn't sound inviting, or like a sanctuary, at all. The fact that they wanted it to be everything they'd hoped for (safe haven), was what made me leery of it weeks ago. Definitely a cannibalistic commune. Donner party in Georgia.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.

On the Talking Dead, the writer actually stated that they had done that because they wanted to make a comparison to the way that Rick was and the man that he is becoming. And at one point, they had interviewed Norman Reedus and he had stated that the characters really can't go back to being the people that they were. I think that was the purpose of those scenes. Just to show the audience that we are about to see another evolution of Rick, one I think the fans are going to find more palatable than earlier versions.

To the person that doesn't like the show because the characters make mistakes. The reality is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, and we have to learn from those mistakes and carry on. The show would not be realistic at all if the characters were making smart decisions all of the time. Rick has made his mistakes, even when he wasn't realizing it (like taking Hershel's advice and settling in to life at the prison), and now he has learned from them. Moving forward into next season, we will see probably the most powerful, calculating, and controlled Rick than ever before.

but we've already seen these scenes in previous episodes and seasons. it seems like they are covering old ground regarding Rick's "transformation". we get it. when he killed Shane. when his wife died. when Herschel died. again and again we've been subjected to the showrunners heavyhanded and hamfisted writing in this regard.

I know they seemed similar, but those were actually new scenes. They specifically told the actor that plays Hershel to keep his beard because they planned to bring him back for more filming. There were tidbits of info in those scenes that had not been in previous episodes. Those scenes had their purpose, though, I agree... there could have been less of them.

i didn't mean the literal scenes. i meant metaphorically. we've already been told/shown multiple times that Rick has changed.

Okay... well I don't really know what you are looking for here, Burro. Are you wanting Rick to stay the same?

Like I said, there was a lot of info, like Glenn having Hershel's watch, that was presented in those scenes. Sure, the primary purpose was to remind us of an earlier version of Rick and to show us that he was learning from his earlier mistakes, but behind all that, there were little details that they needed to remind us of, and there was a lot of foreshadowing in those scenes too (Tyrese and Carol walking side-by-side).

no. but i don't need the showrunner telling us 6 different times in 6 different episodes that Rick is no longer going to be the nice and sensitive type. we get it. he's changed.

i have no complaints about the flashbacks. i have a complaint about the overall show writing. there are plenty of dumb shows on TV. i am hoping for TWD to be better than that.

everything about the way they entered Terminus screamed "dumb". there were like 5 or 6 people there and yet the Terminus folks were talking about how everybody seemed to find them. that's a big red flag. if it's sanctuary, where is everybody? that's what would be going through my head. i mean, they've already been down this road before with The Governor. their willingness to trust strangers should be near zero. and the circumstances they found when they arrived at Terminus? well, anyone with half a brain could have seen that something wasn't right. a cop should know enough to recon the site first. but that would be the smart thing to do, so that's not allowed in this show apparently.

Look, like I said, if they didn't make mistakes, then it wouldn't be realistic... or dramatic. It would be boring. And honestly, Rick is liable to change again. People always evolve their personalities and belief systems, especially when thrown into desperate situations.

I'm just curious. If you are so disappointed with the show and its writing, why are you still watching it?

do you believe that one should only watch shows that one finds completely flawless? :huh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

do you believe that one should only watch shows that one finds completely flawless? :huh:

I would never bother to watch a show that I didn't like.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i don't watch shows that i don't like. but i can watch shows that i partially like and hope will improve. does that answer your question?
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Yep, they should make only smart decisions and never put themselves in any danger. This would make an excellent show. We could call it "post apocalyptic cheers", they just need to find a nice bar.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    On a more positive note, Rick's treatment of the guys Daryl was with was awesome. The whole biting his neck like a walker and really going after the guy who hurt Carl. The whole scene with Carl being attacked was really difficult to watch though. It was intense.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They didnt make the name Terminus up....Its Atlanta's original name and it was the end of the railroad line years ago so it has significance with all the groups taking the train tracks to get there.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

i don't watch shows that i don't like. but i can watch shows that i partially like and hope will improve. does that answer your question?

Well, although I would agree that some of the writing could be done a bit better, I really think that they do a good job with respecting the comic book while keeping it suspenseful.

There are many shows out there that have potential, but are poorly written. If the writing is too bad, then people don't watch. Obviously, the writing for TWD is not that bad. But, I don't think the way you want it written would maintain the suspense.

Oh well, here's hoping you will be happy with next season. :drinker:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    They didnt make the name Terminus up....Its Atlanta's original name and it was the end of the railroad line years ago so it has significance with all the groups taking the train tracks to get there.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing...without that background, it just seems like "end of the line." Not a place to live, but a place to die. haha!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

THIS^^..... The Hunters are a cannibalistic group, so they weren't trying to kill them. They were guiding them to where they wanted to be, so they could surround them and force them in to containment.

It's even explained during the scene where Rick shows Carl how to set up the Rabbit snare. Funnel the prey down your desired path, so you can trap them?

The whole episode is filled with foreshadowing of things to come.
    -The Rabbit Snare
    - The whole episode talking about food, and how hungry they are
    - Rick taking a chunk out of Joe's throat
    - The line "They become part of us, we grow stronger"

I was thinking the same when watching that scene..that they were herding them where to go ..because they were always spraying with their machine guns in front of where they were running, and then re-directing them...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I guess they wanted to show you how it actually went down with Herschel convincing Rick to put up his gun ...because when they started this season, Rick was just a "farmer' and not going on runs anymore ad you never really see how that happened..so maybe they did not want us to think that Rick just wussed out on this own, and that he actually did it for Carl's sake......that's all I got..
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

I don't think they were aiming to kill them, instead they were herding them to that specific area so they could get them to the train car. Seems to me like they are more interested in eating them and want to ration them off instead of killing them all at once.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Who had Hershel's pocket watch, Maggie or Beth? If it was Beth, she's definitely been there.

Glenn had his watch. He gave it to him at the farmhouse.
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Who caught the new episode tonight an what are your thoughts?

Rick is back!!!!
  • SalemBoSox88
    Options
    I believe him biting the dude on the neck like a walker shows that all deep down inside we have that sick side that wants to survive.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    I was very impressed with the finale. At the beginning of the season, things were slow they were too complacent. It was kind of lack luster. I think next season has the potential to be one of the best yet.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting.

"In Roman religion, Terminus was the god who protected boundary markers; his name was the Latin word for such a marker. Sacrifices were performed to sanctify each boundary stone, and landowners celebrated a festival called the "Terminalia" in Terminus' honor each year on February 23. The Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus on the Capitoline Hill was thought to have been built over a shrine to Terminus, and he was occasionally identified as an aspect of Jupiter under the name "Jupiter Terminalis".

Ancient writers believed that the worship of Terminus had been introduced to Rome during the reign of the first king Romulus (traditionally 753–717 BC) or his successor Numa (717–673 BC). Modern scholars have variously seen it as the survival of an early animistic reverence for the power inherent in the boundary marker, or as the Roman development of proto-Indo-European belief in a god concerned with the division of property."

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminus_(god)