I have a slow metabolism

Options
usmcmp
usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
Not really. I thought I did for several years because I ate "healthy" and exercised. I didn't understand that I was eating more than I should have been. I also didn't understand how far off I really was recording my food intake. I had my Resting Metabolic Rate tested before I started trying to lose weight and it was much higher than I thought.

Here is a great example of a woman who learned the same thing I did.
http://youtu.be/KA9AdlhB18o

More than 100 DLW (doubly-labeled water) studies, published in the world's leading medical journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association), International Journal of Obesity Research, etc., have consistently found exactly the same thing the researchers in this documentary found. Literally thousands of thin and overweight people have been tested using this ingenious method. Not only does the DLW testing enable researchers to accurately determine a person's metabolic rate, it allows them to calculate how many calories they actually consumed during the test (usually a 7- to 14-day period). Invariably, virtually ALL of the 100s of published DLW and related studies over the past 20+ years conclusively prove three things:

1) Overweight people don't have slow/defective metabolisms -- they usually have much faster metabolisms,

2) They burn far fewer calories in physical activity than they think do.

3) They don't know how much they are actually eating (in terms of total caloric intake) and underreport all the food and/or quantities they consume when tracking it via food diaries, questionnaires, or from recall.

The narrator notes elsewhere in the documentary that studies show the average person typically underreport their intake about 50%. That means that if they really ate 3,000 calories per day like this woman did, they would record/report they ate only about 1,500 calories per day (and believe it like this woman did). A 100-calorie per day mistake every day for a year equals a 10-lb weight gain.

The DLW testing, and other methods of metabolic testing and research over the past several decades has shed light on several myths about why people are overweight and "believe" they can't lose it.

Video Source: BBC Documentary 10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight.

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    IN
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Love, as always ♡♡
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    In to offer the qualifier of: "But I have _____ hormonal issue."

You're an outlier. Exceptions to a rule are just that; an exception. It's also not AS common as people think (As so many insist they have a certain disorder only to have a nice clean bill of health, even after extensive testing. Often, it really is just underestimating how much you eat).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Love this post! :flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I am a special snowflake....
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Tagging to watch video later

Thanks =]
  • usmcmp
    Options
    In to offer the qualifier of: "But I have _____ hormonal issue."

You're an outlier. Exceptions to a rule are just that; an exception. It's also not AS common as people think (As so many insist they have a certain disorder only to have a nice clean bill of health, even after extensive testing. Often, it really is just underestimating how much you eat).

Very true. I was diagnosed with PCOS by TWO doctors who only listened to me tell them I couldn't lose weight even though I dieted (my diet was mainly fast food at that time). They did zero testing. Once I finally went through testing for thyroid and PCOS it was determined I was very healthy with no issues at all. I was just obese because I ate too much.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I saw this a little while ago and thought it was very interesting.

In to follow further discussion.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    :heart:

In

Entering%2Ba%2BCar.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Saw thread title, and started channeling my rage the way Ryu channels his energy for the Hadoken.

Then I saw who posted it, and that rage was replaced with disappointment, and then the disappoint was replaced with righteous fire.

Good post.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I thought. Then I had my metabolism tested, expecting to see a ridiculously low number, and my RMR came back over 1600. The nutritionist said my metabolism was actually higher than average for someone with my stats. It came down to inconsistent logging. Shocker! :wink:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In to watch videos later...and to remind myself to watch secret eaters...

and for the ensuing debate from those who are going to insist they are the exceptions.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Yep! When my scale stops moving even though my supposed deficit has me at xxx weightloss rate, I know I've gotten sloppy. Either my burn rates are too high or my logging has gotten sloppy.

This is a good thing, because I know that as long as my thyroid meds are where they need to be (and they are), then I am in control. I like being in control.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Agree, in 30yrs nursing very few pts have a medical cause for being overweight be it medication, metabolism, hormones etc.

Even my transplant patients on immunosuppression and high dose steroids don't often gain THAT much weight and it settles with time.

Sadly I have a formerly underweight now overweight brother who insists his sleep apnoea and other issues are nothing to do with weight and would not improve if he lost it, my experience of such patients is quite the opposite.....
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Needs a bump.

The first step in weight loss is to be honest with yourself.

Very true! When I stop losing weight it's because I stopped weighing food or started snacking and not logging (those small handfuls of almonds add up fast as do the two french fries from each kid and a bite of their hamburger).
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    And this is why, even though I've been fighting the same few pounds for months, I haven't come to the forums to complain about my slow metabolism or genetics (which, truly are not working in my favor lol, but I can't blame that) or how it's not fair how "naturally skinny" people can eat so much. Instead, I got more precise weighing my food, log fewer exercise calories...and take responsibility that yes, that handful of pistachios and granola that I ate when I woke up in the middle of the night and forgot to log is on me...not my metabolism.
    (The damn scale still has still barely budged, but I can feel myself moving in the right direction...and my *kitten* looks great!)
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Bump.
    Great post!
    I need to watch the video.