I have a slow metabolism

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    so I am probably under-counting my peanut butter = D and oreos....oh no! :sad: :sad:

I'll watch the docu later. I do believe this. There is no magic pill :wink:

I usually just scoop and call it good with peanut butter. When I'm being accurate I put the jar on the scale, zero it and then scoop the number of grams out for a serving (2 tablespoons is usually 32 grams). That way I can lick the spoon guilt free.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    so I am probably under-counting my peanut butter = D and oreos....oh no! :sad: :sad:

I usually just scoop and call it good with peanut butter. When I'm being accurate I put the jar on the scale, zero it and then scoop the number of grams out for a serving (2 tablespoons is usually 32 grams). That way I can lick the spoon guilt free.

In other news, I've changed my name to "the spoon".
  • usmcmp
    Options

:wink: :blushing:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I've changed mine to "the dishwasher".
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But the spoon goes in the dis.......... oooo.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options

BAHAHAHA!!! I love it!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I thought. Then I had my metabolism tested, expecting to see a ridiculously low number, and my RMR came back over 1600. The nutritionist said my metabolism was actually higher than average for someone with my stats. It came down to inconsistent logging. Shocker! :wink:

we have ways of helping; when I figure them out, I'll let you know ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

LMFAO
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to blame something else for weight gain rather than admiting we are eating too much.

Excellent information you've provided.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Great post, but I'd reverse numbers you wrote 1-3 to 3-1, most (including myself) have the accuracy of caloric intake problem first and foremost, "metabolism" is an "ah that's interesting" point. Even studies done with dietitians and health professionals showed they ALSO under estimated food intake, and they are supposed to be good at this, right?

All the "why am I gaining weight, I track everything" posts should look here first: so who are you to think you are perfect and not over eating, are you so good at recording your calories that you are better at it than people who get paid to do it for a living and probably have more education on it than you? Of course you aren't. You are almost always under-reporting. I can always find SOMETHING later that I'd forgotten to record...so I'm probably not remembering or over-portioning something else...

And 2) most MFP activities could benefit with a calorie calculation subtracting the BMR for that hour before recording that hour of activity for "credit". Yes you raised your burn, however sitting on your *kitten* you'd burn a significant amount thats counted in your activity level: subtract that, you cant double count!
  • NycoleML
    NycoleML Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Watching the video later...
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Great post, but I'd reverse numbers you wrote 1-3 to 3-1, most (including myself) have the accuracy of caloric intake problem first and foremost, "metabolism" is an "ah that's interesting" point. Even studies done with dietitians and health professionals showed they ALSO under estimated food intake, and they are supposed to be good at this, right?

All the "why am I gaining weight, I track everything" posts should look here first: so who are you to think you are perfect and not over eating, are you so good at recording your calories that you are better at it than people who get paid to do it for a living and probably have more education on it than you? Of course you aren't. You are almost always under-reporting. I can always find SOMETHING later that I'd forgotten to record...so I'm probably not remembering or over-portioning something else...

And 2) most MFP activities could benefit with a calorie calculation subtracting the BMR for that hour before recording that hour of activity for "credit". Yes you raised your burn, however sitting on your *kitten* you'd burn a significant amount thats counted in your activity level: subtract that, you cant double count!

I didn't write those points. That came from the video's description. I only wrote the first paragraph. When I get messages from people who say they are doing it all correct here's my order of correction:

1. Checking TDEE and setting an appropriate calorie goal. (I stress that exercise is part of TDEE and not counted as extra)
    2. Weigh and measure everything. Zero nibbles or bites or tastes. Log ahead of time and stick with it.
    3. Adequate protein (depends on person and goals)
    4. Drink water and be active.

Usually if someone follows all those for two weeks they will see weight loss.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Great post. I found the rest of the video on vimeo if anyone is interested:

Hope it's ok to share that.
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Just finished watching it. So helpful and making me look at the "reasons" why I think I cannot lose weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Great post.

tumblr_inline_mxmkysi10I1r70vmp.gif
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good post
    tumblr_men53x6ars1rdh9azo1_400.gif
  • ashleypip
    ashleypip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've had sleep apnea patients lose weight from cpap. There is something going on there. I had an Army soldier lose 50 lbs without trying when he got on cpap.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Late to the party, but had to chime in.

I used to do metabolic testing at a hospital, and only about 3% of the population has what can be considered a "slow" metabolism. Almost universally the overweight people I teses blamed their weight gain on a slow metabolism and did not believe the test results because they all believed that they hardlt ate anything.