I have a slow metabolism

Options

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have had my metabolism tested - it is slower than normal but not by a lot and that is AFTER 2 years of working out at the gym 5-9 hours a week. God only knows how bad it was before I started working out. There is variation in metabolism - and some people are more famine resistant than others. You talk about a small variation in intake- 100 calories a day adding up to 10 pounds- what if your metabolism was 5 or 10% below normal- what would that look like over time? Mine is now 5% below normal - I have no idea how much lower than normal it was before I started my gym-rat phase. I am losing slowly- but knowing that it was going to be slower is good information- I know it will happen if I keep going- there are just days like today I have to keep reminding myself..
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have had my metabolism tested - it is slower than normal but not by a lot and that is AFTER 2 years of working out at the gym 5-9 hours a week. God only knows how bad it was before I started working out. There is variation in metabolism - and some people are more famine resistant than others. You talk about a small variation in intake- 100 calories a day adding up to 10 pounds- what if your metabolism was 5 or 10% below normal- what would that look like over time? Mine is now 5% below normal - I have no idea how much lower than normal it was before I started my gym-rat phase. I am losing slowly- but knowing that it was going to be slower is good information- I know it will happen if I keep going- there are just days like today I have to keep reminding myself..

Having it tested and KNOWING it is slower is the key. Most people just assume their metabolism is slow because they are overweight.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Where does one go to have themselves tested? Not because I think I'm slow and want validation...but because having a more scientifically based number could be helpful.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Where does one go to have themselves tested? Not because I think I'm slow and want validation...but because having a more scientifically based number could be helpful.

I had mine done on the military base I was stationed at. There's a medical center near me that does it. Maybe your GP could help you find one?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    First I was like
    rage-baby.jpg

But then I was like
    Yes_Baby.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    INteresting.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    wow interesting
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I had mine done on the military base I was stationed at. There's a medical center near me that does it. Maybe your GP could help you find one?

A lot of universities have sports science labs where they offer services like RMR testing, VO2max testing, Bodpod/dexa/hydrostatic scans to the public for a (usually pretty reasonable) fee. I would call around and/or look at the websites for nearby universities- particularly those with hefty athletic programs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Had this conversation with a consult last night. Let her know it's not a "slow metabolism" that's the issue, but rather over consumption and lack of physical activity (she sits at a desk all day).
    She signed up with a 20 pack and starts tomorrow. Bet her slow metabolism speeds up now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I would think a 5-10% difference is well within the range of test error.

The thyroid endocrine system is designed to alter metabolism naturally. It varies with temperature after long-term exposure. People who live in a cold climate have a higher basal metabolic rate so to generate for off-setting heat to warm their bodies. The opposite for those dwelling in a warm climate.

can I blame weight gain on my hot climate?

(just kidding)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If only you had a Guyton and Hall textbook

OMFG.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    If only you had a Guyton and Hall textbook, you could look up energy metabolism and the thyroid hormone and give us a report.

The thyroid hormone maintains a baseline. In a very cold climate, it can increase BMR 100%. In a warm climate, it can decrease it 50%.

whose fault is that? :smokin:
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, thanks for sharing!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Awesome OP. Also eager to see "but I'm the (untested medically) exception" posts, usually by the same people who are made bulky by lifting weights so just avoid them altogether.
  • lfrei123
    lfrei123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That was a good video! I actually wanted it to be longer! I would love to try that doubly tested water (or whatever you call it.) It would be really interesting to see if you were really diligent with tracking your calories, how close you would actually be - what is the average human error factor when we are trying to get it right?

I just wish my metabolism was fast enough to handle all the Cadbury eggs I want to eat this time of year. sigh.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yep! When my scale stops moving even though my supposed deficit has me at xxx weightloss rate, I know I've gotten sloppy. Either my burn rates are too high or my logging has gotten sloppy.

+1
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mine is now 5% below normal...

5% below normal is in fact pretty normal. The day-to-day variance of the same person is around 4%. In fact, testing the exact same subject in the morning vs in the evening shows a variance on the same order.

It's important for people to realize it's not a number - it's a range.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That was a good video! I actually wanted it to be longer! I would love to try that doubly tested water (or whatever you call it.) It would be really interesting to see if you were really diligent with tracking your calories, how close you would actually be - what is the average human error factor when we are trying to get it right?

I just wish my metabolism was fast enough to handle all the Cadbury eggs I want to eat this time of year. sigh.

There is a longer one if you search for it. She has a slender friend and they both agree that the slender one eats more and moves less than the bigger one. NOPE! I'd love to see how close I am by doing the tests. I know that I under report, but I also under report exercise. I say I'm "sedentary" which isn't really true. I lost 12lbs in 11 weeks aiming for 1lb/week loss this way. The inaccuracies canceled each other out.

Of course when I was bulking it went the other way. I was over reporting my food and/or my NEAT went through the roof. Aiming to hit 0.5lb/week gain based on adding 750 cals a day to my cutting cals, I still lost 2lbs in 2 months. It goes both ways.
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In to watch the video later
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

A lot of universities have sports science labs where they offer services like RMR testing, VO2max testing, Bodpod/dexa/hydrostatic scans to the public for a (usually pretty reasonable) fee. I would call around and/or look at the websites for nearby universities- particularly those with hefty athletic programs.
    ohhhh I think that the state college near me, even though they don't have strong sports teams, has a pretty strong department for athletics in general in relation to fitness. I'll check that out, and ask my GP. thanks.