14 Weeks to Christmas Challenge!!

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• bikinimission
    Options
    WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5

WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5 WEEK 5

HELLOOOOO CHRISTMAS CHALLENGERS!!

How are we all hanging in? Did you all enjoy last weeks challenge? I'm guessing from the fewer posts this week that it maybe wasn't such a popular one but I'm keen to hear all your feedback! Were you inspired to try a new recipe? Did you find anything you liked?

Personally I tried a new main course using my favourite meat - salmon and made grilled chilli & coriander salmon with ginger rice. It was very tasty. Check out the recipe and nutritional values at:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7007/grilled-chilli-and-coriander-salmon-with-ginger-ri

I also got myself hooked on the dessert recipes from Cook Yourself Thin:

Turkish delight brownies recipe: http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/healthy/cook-yourself-thin/index.html

Individual strawberry cheesecakes recipe:
    http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/healthy/cook-yourself-thin/individual-strawberry-cheesecakes-recipe_p_1.html

Harry's sticky toffee pudding recipe:
    http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/healthy/cook-yourself-thin/harrys-sticky-toffee-pudding_p_1.html

There's also a lot of lovely main course ideas on the Cook Yourself Thin site and all the nutritional values have been worked out for you which is a big help - of course you can adapt the ingredients to suit yourself but I find it handy to see a basic idea of the nutritional value when I see a recipe I like!

Did everyone have a good weekend? I went away with my boyfriend and his family and then had a birthday meal last night and I confess that I didn't make the best food/drink choices over the past few days. I'm sure it will be reflected when I weigh tomorrow and I deserve that.

In the spirit of picking myself up and dusting myself down however I've used this wobble to inspire the Week 10 Challenge!!

On the 10th week of Christmas MFP challenged me... TO RECORD EVERYTHING THAT I PUT INTO MY MOUTH IN MY DIARY!

***************************Bonus challenge: Make your diary public!!*****************************

I will be doing both of these things as a way of getting over my weekend blip and ensuring that I enter the last 10 weeks of this challenge in the best mentality I can and I encourage you to join in and really think about the choices that you're putting in your mouth.

I appreciate that there will already be lots of you fab MFPers who do this already and who won't find this a challenge. However I'm sure there are also a LOT of you like me who maybe aren't quite so religious about entering the odd nibble that you indulge in throughout the day or late at night when you've shut down your computer. Maybe some of you (also like me) track pretty well during the week when it's easy to use MFP from your desk at work but who don't do so well at the weekends.

Let's make this week about really thinking about what we're all eating.

As for the extra challenge to make your diary public, I think I might stir up a bit of controversy with this suggestion so let me explain... firstly, it's an extra challenge as it's optional and it wil depend on each of you as an individual as to whether or not you wish to share this information. I've included it as past of this weeks challenge as I think for some people, myself included, that it will add an extra layer of accountability and that's something I feel that I need just now!

There's been a bit of a debate on the public diary issue on the forum and blogs of MFP this week, while some people seem to feel strongly that hiding your diary is cheating, others don't agree. For example, Beebee78 said in her blog that, "Personally I could have my food diary set to private and have a picture of my uncle's, cousins 3rd daughter's friends pet chiuaua as my avatar and still kick *kitten* at weightloss because I am a highly motivated person and I push myself hard." (Read the whole blog entry here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Beebee78/view/so-very-sad-44508) I think this really sums up my own opinion - while I think making diaries public will help some of us, I'm quite sure that there are many of you who don't need to share this info to get super duper results!!

Hmm... well I think that's quite enough from me for now! I'm interested to hear your thoughts and to see your results from week 4!

:)

Ok finally, it's time to post your Week 4 results below. Thanks to everyone who's already done so and to those who display the info in their signature.

WEIGHT WEEK 1:
    WEIGHT WEEK 2:
    WEIGHT WEEK 3:
    WEIGHT WEEK 4:
    AIM FOR WEEK 5:
    WHETHER YOU MANAGED TO TRY OUT A NEW RECIPE IN WEEK 4?
    IF YOU CAN POST THE RECIPE OR THE LINK TO IT EVEN BETTER!!

Well done again to all the Week 1-4 Challengers and good luck to everyone for this week. 10 Weeks to go guys, let's remotivate and make each of them as sucessful as we can -- starting now!

:) xxx

P.S I sense a fun challenge on the horizon for week 6!!

• squishyfishy
    Options
    Mimi I think it would work well with either chicken or pork.

I love the cook yourself thin recipes that's how I originally lost 4 stone. The skinny chicken tikka is fab and the lamb tagine, infact I don't think I've ever made anything from there I didn't like.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Bikini Mission! love this weeks challenge and agin thanks for doing this group!

My diary is always on show but like you say sometimes i dont always include everything I eat ..the odd nibble here and there..naughty but as of tommorow I will be totally honest with myself and mfp- hopefully i could find some ways to improve on my weightloss.... so Im in!!

I completed the challenge this week and posted my recipe for Chickn Broth earlier... yum :smile:

I will weigh in on friday as usual....

I shall keep you updated!

P.S HOW DO I CREAT A SIGNATURE TO PUT THE CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE IN ??
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    MIMI I TRIED TO QUOTE YOU BUT I COULDNT ..JUST INCASE YOU THOUGHT I WAS COPYING WHAT YOU SAID! HAHAH

Hahaha I didn't think that chick! I like your recipes too! Xxxxxxxxxx
  • xXmimiXx
    Options
    Bikini Mission! love this weeks challenge and agin thanks for doing this group!

My diary is always on show but like you say sometimes i dont always include everything I eat ..the odd nibble here and there..naughty but as of tommorow I will be totally honest with myself and mfp- hopefully i could find some ways to improve on my weightloss.... so Im in!!

I completed the challenge this week and posted my recipe for Chickn Broth earlier... yum :smile:

I will weigh in on friday as usual....

I shall keep you updated!

P.S HOW DO I CREAT A SIGNATURE TO PUT THE CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE IN ??

Hey hun,

I created the Christmas Challenge ticker :-) and I'm very glad lots of people are using it! I reset my weight so it showed 14lbs to lose for 14 weeks and to put the picture of the Christmas Challenge, first steal the pic off of my profile then go to tools ticker, edit ticker...et voila! xxxxxx
  • xXmimiXx
    Options

I love the cook yourself thin recipes that's how I originally lost 4 stone. The skinny chicken tikka is fab and the lamb tagine, infact I don't think I've ever made anything from there I didn't like.

Thanks! I actually have the cook yourself think recipe book but <embarassed> I've never cooked one thing from it! You've inspired me to use it from now on thank you! xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    SW: 208.8 lbs

Week1: 207 (-1.8) Challenge: No Chocolate- Done!

Week 2: 206 (-1) Challenge: 50 Sit-ups - Did 6 of the 7 days!

Week 3: 203.1 (-2.9) Challenge: New Exercise - Started "Group Active" at the gym - Done!

Week 4: 204.4 (+1.3) - Horrible week! Challenge: Try a new healthy recipe & post - Nope! I don't cook, so this one was hard for me.

Week 5 Aim: 202 (by 10/19)
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Starting weight for Christmas Challenge: 172lbs

Week 1: Goal weight: 171 Actual weight: 171.4 Challenge: No Chocolate- FAILED!

Week 2: Goal weight: 170 Actual weight: 170.6 Challenge: 50 Situps- Everyday but Sunday.

Week 3: Goal weight: 169 Actual weight: 173 Challenge: New Exercise-Failed! (sick all week)

Week 4: Goal weight: 169 Actual weight: 170 Challenge: New recipe-Passed!

Week 5: Goal weight: 169
  • rs1177
    rs1177 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Well, I loved this weeks challenge. I made Sweet Potato Oat Bars, from Tosca Reno's Clean Eating book. And they were awsome!!! They are chewy and tasty and have lots off good stuff in them. My husband couldnt get enough of them!
    I will post the receipe later cause I"m at work now!

As for this new challenge I am all for it! My diary has just been made public. I do log all items, but I never really liked making it public, but I just did! My weekend was pretty tough, it was Thanksgiving here so I did over indulge quite a bit. I did keep up with the exercsing though. Today I am going to do a 3 day Shakeology Cleanse, so my calories will be lower than normal. I usually eat all of my calories ( that includes exercise calories).

I will weigh in tomorrow as usal, not expecting much of a loss though due to the weekend!

Great new challenge!!!

Good luck all!
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    SW : 216lbs
    Wk 1: GW: 214 AW: 217 Challenge: No ChocolateI didn't follow this one through very well.
    Wk 2: GW: 214 AW: 214 Challenge: I was able to do 150 situps most of the days.
    Wk 3: GW: 212 AW: 212 Challenge: I added spinning more in my workout routine , I couldn't find a good schedule to go to yoga.
    Wk 4: GW: 210 AW: 209 Challenge: This was a success-see receipe below.
    Wk 5: GW: 207

Here is a link to a nice recipe I found if you like feta cheese, Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta . Who said dairy & seafood was a no no? I really liked this recipe and will prepare again sometime.

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/greek-shrimp-with-tomatoes-and-feta.aspx

I will consider opening my food diary up. :wink:
  • sfbarnard
    Options
    I like: being outdoors, being with my kids, family time
    I don't like: stress
    Current typical or usual exercise: treadmill or walking outside
    Current Starting Weight: 143
    Aim for next week: 142
    Personal 14 week Goal: Lose 10 pounds:happy:
  • tanias11
    Options
    im kinda late but i still wannna do it!

SW: 185 lbs

Week1: Challenge: No Chocolate

Week 2: Challenge: 50 Sit-ups

Week 3: Challenge: New Exercise

Week 4: Challenge: Try a new healthy recipe & post

Week 5 Aim: 183 lbs
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon and happy Tuesday! Today I completed the Cardio Max dvd from the Biggest Loser series. I'm find that I'm struggling daily to get my workout in. The desire to workout is waning fast and I believe it's b/c I've yet to find a new workout routine that will work w/my budget, keep it fresh and new and give my body the workout I need.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    start weight: 212
    Week One 9/21/2010.....209 -3 Challenge met? yes
    Week Two 9/28/2010 ... 205 -4 Challenge met? yes (missed a couple of times but made it up the next day)
    Week Three 10/05/2010 ...205 0 Challenge met? yes I started Belly dancing class.
    Week Four 10/12/2010 ...203 2 Challenge met ? Yes I tried two. Posting below
    Week Five 10/18/2010
    Week Six 10/25/2010
    Week Seven 11/01/2010
    Week Eight 11/08/2010
    Week Nine 11/15/2010
    Week Ten 11/22/2010
    Week Eleven 11/29/2010
    Week Twelve 12/06/2010
    Week Thirteen 12/13/2010
    Week Fourteen 12/20/2010

Tarragon Chicken Linguine

4 servings in under 25 minutes

6oz whole wheat linguine or fettuccine
    12 oz broccoli florets
    1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
    12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized strips
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh tarragon or dill ( if you use dried then use 1/2 teaspoon)

Cook pasta and broccoli. drain pasta. return pasta to hot pot and add cooked broccolli, cover to keep warm.

in a small bowl combine broth, cornstarch, and lemon pepper. set aside.

in a large skillet cook chicken strips in hot oil about 4 minutes or until no longer pink.

stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet. cook and stir until thickened. Stir in tarragon or dill cook for 2 additional minutes then serve over pasta and broccoli.

1/2 cup serving:
    calories 290
    total fat 4g
    cholesterol 50mg
    sodium 150mg
    carb 36g

Pumpkin angel food cake with ginger filling

12 servings

1 box while angel food cake
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    3/4 cup (15oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
    1 cup cold water

Filling
    8oz frozen fat free whipped topping thawed
    2 tablespoons finely chopped crystilized ginger

move rack to the lowest position. heat oven to 350 degrees.
    in a large glass or metal bowl beat all cake ungredients with a mixer on low for 30 seconds. beat on medium for 1 minute. pour in an ungreased 10" tube pan.

Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until crust is a dark golden brown and cracks are dry. immediately turn pan upside down onto a heat proof funnel or a glass bottle let hang for about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. losten cake from side of pan with a knife or a metal spatula. turn cake upside down on serving plate.

in a medium bowl gently mix whipped topping and ginger. Cut cake horizontally in half making 2 even layers. Spread half of the filling on bottom layer, replace the top of the cake. Spread remaining filling on top of the cake. Sprinklw with additional pie spice if desired.

one serving
    Calories 180
    total fat 0
    cholestoral 0mg
    sodium 330mg
    carbs 41g
  • squishyfishy
    Options

Thanks! I actually have the cook yourself think recipe book but <embarassed> I've never cooked one thing from it! You've inspired me to use it from now on thank you! xxxxxxxxxxxx

The pink book was made up of loads of the members of the sites recipes that they sent in and the best ones got printed so a few of my friends from there have had their recipes published in it. The lamb koftas are good and the chocolate Brownies are in that one too I think. The pancakes by Holly are fab too. The other recipes are on the channel 4 website and well worth a look.
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am going to post my updated information tomorrow, however, just wanted to say I did not have time to try a new recipe this week. It's been a busy week with an Indian festival and going over to visit an uncle who is terminally ill and doesn't have much time left. I am hoping to try one by tomorrow though, if I can. I know this is not a new recipe and it's super simple but I have wanting to make veggie burgers for a while, so I am going to make those tonight. I know it doesn't really count but that's the best I could do this week.
  • rs1177
    rs1177 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Here is my receipe for Sweet Potato Oat Bars: I got this from Tosca Reno's book: The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged.

Ingredients:

1tbsp olive oil
    5 sweet potatos
    4 cups of oats ( the quick kind)
    3/4 cup of skim milk soured with 1tbs. of lemon juice ( I just used soy milk)
    1/2 cup of maple syrup ( natural is best)
    1/4 cup of flaxseed
    2 Tbsp. of pumpkin pie spice
    2 tbsp. of coconut butter ( i used natural almond butter )
    1/2 cup of dried fruits ( dates, raisins, cherries, chopped)
    1/2 cup of raw unsalted nuts ( almonds, walnuts, and peacans ) chopped
    pinch of sea salt

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9" x 13" baking dish by coating with light olive oil.

2. Prick potatos and bake in oven until tender. Remove the potato inside and mash.
    3. Add all the rest of the ingredients to sweet potato mixture. Mix well.
    4. Press into into baking dish. Bake for 30 to 35 mins. or until golden on top.
    5. Remove from heat and let cool. Cut into squares.

Makes 24 squares

Nutritional Info.
    189 cals.
    6 g. of protein
    5.5 g. of fat
    4 g. of fiber

And they are so yummy , very easy to make and full of healthy stuff!

Enjoy!