Why do so many female body builders get fake boobs?

Options
I look at a lot of fitspo in order to get me motivated during my journey and it always seems a bit bizarre the amount of women that work so hard to achieve an excellent figure and then they go a get C or D cup boob jobs that look so fake like two halves of a grapefruit have been sewn onto their chest. It's looks so obvious. To me it's like wearing a Chanel suit with Primark shoes - it's going to stand out. Surely more natural boob jobs could be performed. I just fail to understand why people would sabotage their appearance in such a way.
P.S: I'm not hating on anyone who has fake boobs I'm just trying to understand the logic/craze behind body builders with fake boobs.

Images for ref:
2s7umpc.jpg
117gwg2.jpg
2drszsx.png

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    probably the same reason non bodybuilding women get fake boobs. they want bigger boobs because it makes them feel better about their bodies.

it really shouldnt be that much of a shock that many women base their attractiveness on boob size.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think they probably look like that during competition season because of the low bodyfat. I also might be wrong about this but they probably need to go on top of the muscle instead of under - so they look more pronounced?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    In most case it's because when they get to very low BF, they literally have no boobs at all. Female breast are mostly fat so if you drop to 9-10% BF, that pretty much gets rid of all that.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I don't know much about female bodybuilders, but they probably get implants because they lose breast tissue. I lost a lot of weight and my breasts are not the same. I'd get implants just to make them perky again and to have shape.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    With the exception of Natalie Waples (2nd pic) those women are on steroids. 'roids ruin your boobs anyway, but the very low body fat percentage these women get to on a frequent basis also "pancake" the chest area.

Look at Nat's chest prior to her implants. It wasn't bad, but she probably wasn't happy with it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its difficult to have a 'natural look' with such low bodyfat...

unless you have amazing genetics very few women get to 15% bodyfat or lower with a decent rack!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just feel some kind of boob is better than no boob lol. I hate my barely fill an a cup boobs when I used to be a full c. As someone else said, I expect they look a little less obvious when the ladies let their body fat rise a bit.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Because when you get to that low body fat, most women don't have much left in the chest area, unless your genetics determine you carry most of your fat there.

I'm sure when they're off season and carrying a little more body fat, their implants may look a bit more natural. It just looks odd because it's unusual to have such large breasts when the rest of you is so lean.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Some women's categories rate you on overall presentation as well as symmetry etc. and thus, having boobs that have otherwise vanished because of low bodyfat, is advantageous and even necessary to be competitive.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    The first and third women you posted are on steroids. You obviously picked those pictures out to point out the way way boobs look on fit women, but those are not the norm.

Even women who are not on steroids (I am going to assume the lady in the second pic is not) have very low bodyfat when doing competitions which make the fake breasts more obvious. I am sure if you look up a pic of her with her usual BF% you'd notice a big difference.

That being said, i couldn't care less about how big/small other women want their boobs. The only relevant opinion is their own.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Probably because these women aren't defined solely by the fact that they are bodybuilders? They are human beings with a variety of interests and attributes, and bodybuilding just happens to be something they enjoy. Also, they probably don't walk around doing competition poses most of the time. So, I'm sure that 99.9% of the time the breasts don't look as exaggerated as they do in these photos.

These are strong women with presumably fairly broad shoulders and narrow waists. So, if they want to wear any kind of feminine clothing (as opposed to only wearing men's clothes) it helps to have something on the front to fill out the shirt.

What I want to know is why so many women feel comfortable publicly shaming other women based on their appearance.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    With the exception of Natalie Waples (2nd pic) those women are on steroids. 'roids ruin your boobs anyway, but the very low body fat percentage these women get to on a frequent basis also "pancake" the chest area.

Look at Nat's chest prior to her implants. It wasn't bad, but she probably wasn't happy with it.

I really like her figure actually to me she looks a million times better sans steriods. But I guess that's just a personal preference
    Some women's categories rate you on overall presentation as well as symmetry etc. and thus, having boobs that have otherwise vanished because of low bodyfat, is advantageous and even necessary to be competitive.

Aaaah that does explain quite a bit. I'm sure that getting implants isn't always an easy decision to make but if its required for work then that does make a lot of sense.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Probably because these women aren't defined solely by the fact that they are bodybuilders? They are human beings with a variety of interests and attributes, and bodybuilding just happens to be something they enjoy. Also, they probably don't walk around doing competition poses most of the time. So, I'm sure that 99.9% of the time the breasts don't look as exaggerated as they do in these photos.

These are strong women with presumably fairly broad shoulders and narrow waists. So, if they want to wear any kind of feminine clothing (as opposed to only wearing men's clothes) it helps to have something on the front to fill out the shirt.

What I want to know is why so many women feel comfortable publicly shaming other women based on their appearance.

The OP asked a question, a.legitimate one because she didn't understand. There were some very good answers, even yours, until you get to the last line. What i want to know is why so many people play the shaming card when that really isn't the case. People call everything shaming and bullying to the point now that it cheapens the terms and makes it difficult to recognize real shaming and bullying.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

It's not about shaming people. Each to their own and technically although it may be their appearance - it's not the one they are born with - it's manufactured like any body modification so its not really on the same level as they are adapting their body beyond what is natural.

ETA: grammatical error
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I really like her figure actually to me she looks a million times better sans steriods. But I guess that's just a personal preference

Natalie Waples is natural, or was natural, as far as I know.
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's probably because as a woman, its a bit depressing when your chest muscles are bigger than your boobs. I've always had small boobs but since I started weight training they've practically completely disappeared, and even though I'm nowhere near the size of the women in those pics, my chest bigger muscles seem to make them look smaller and lower down.

The fact that the women in the pics have ridiculously large implants is I'm guessing is to compensate for the fact that their bodies look so masculine, its just an attempt to look more feminine.
  • eliqball
    eliqball Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In most case it's because when they get to very low BF, they literally have no boobs at all. Female breast are mostly fat so if you drop to 9-10% BF, that pretty much gets rid of all that.

This is exactly right. Breasts are largely fat. Below 20% BF they will get considerably smaller. Many women that choose to maintain this level of leanness for shows or for lifestyle often feel the need to get implants to compensate. A "woman" with no breasts and large muscles can be frowned upon for some reason lol. And then there are some who do it for vanity purposes alone.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    #'s 1 & 3 appear to be extreme examples, but I intend to get "fake boobs," when I get my body in shape. I'd like to look like the girl in the second pic, without the big shoulders. Regardless, I imagine that esthetics and symmetry are the reasons they do it. The same reason regular girls get them. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    its difficult to have a 'natural look' with such low bodyfat...

unless you have amazing genetics very few women get to 15% bodyfat or lower with a decent rack!

this.

plus a fair bit of high end folks do modelling in some form or another.

god why is everyone on here a bully and a body shamer for asking legitimate questions. Just because you don't like the question doesn't mean it was a bad question- or one made to body shame. Can't even have decent conversations any more because everyone is to big inventing reasons to be offended!

That's a legitimate question she asked in a completely innocuous way. Don't project your issues on other people.