Skinny people who think they know better...

Options
So I just got into an argument online with some skinny woman who's never had a weight problem in her life basically saying that all I know about weight loss is wrong and I'm giving horrible advice.

Gotta love it.. We all know someone like this, don't we?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah I have people like that in my life...

I remember one of them saying to me I know how to lose weight...I am an expert at it.

I said yes you are..that is why you have lost the same 10lbs over and over again.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hate hate hate that....just because I'm bigger than you doesn't mean I haven't done my research and don't know what I'm talking about...it just means I'm still in the midst of my struggle...
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Do you think shes never had a weight problem because she watches her diet and works out? I used to be a skinny gal until I wasnt, lol. Ate what I wanted and stayed thin. When I turned 28 things changed. Anyway, my point is, when I realized I had crossed over to the dark side I started to work out. I saw all the skinny girls really working out hardcore. I thought to mysef "why are they here, they are skinny". I came to realize they were skinny because they were working for it and always had.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Do you think shes never had a weight problem because she watches her diet and works out? I used to be a skinny gal until I wasnt, lol. Ate what I wanted and stayed thin. When I turned 28 things changed. Anyway, my point is, when I realized I had crossed over to the dark side I started to work out. I saw all the skinny girls really working out hardcore. I thought to mysef "why are they here, they are skinny". I came to realize they were skinny because they were working for it and always had.

Crossed to the dark side?????
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

She's healthy and has healthy eating habits. That's why it bothered me actually... I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

But apparently, because I've learned most of what I know from MFP, it's wrong too. Whatever...
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's why I keep mum IRL about my weight, eating healthier and exercise because of all the resistance I encounter. I would rather get the support and advice from people who have BTDT than to have some person who's never had issues their entire life give me a lecture on how I'm "doing it wrong."

A variety of factors changes your weight and determines how people lose weight. Age and genetics are two things we cannot change. We can all change our activity levels, nutrition, and overall lifestyle. The basics tend to work for everyone but the details don't, and I think people try to insist their details work for everyone and they don't.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

She's healthy and has healthy eating habits. That's why it bothered me actually... I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

But apparently, because I've learned most of what I know from MFP, it's wrong too. Whatever...

Actually. someone with healthy habits would probably have some good advice to offer. Why are you dismissing it just because she's never had a weight problem?
    I've never had a significant weight problem, but took the time to educate myself on nutrition and exercise. I do have good advice to offer. Honestly, if people choose to dismiss it because of my weight... they're wrong.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Some skinny girls weren't always skinny and know the struggle, some skinny girls sit on top of the world and wonder why day people can't just be thin. Like it just never crossed their minds. Like how some rich people don't understand why the poor don't just buy more money. There are people who don't appreciate hard work because they've never been subjected to it.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that you have known her all her life? People look at me and yea I am thinner now but I wasn't always. Thin or "skinny" is also subjective. Have I personally ever been obese, no. Have I had struggles with weight gain and trying to make myself healthier, yes. Just because someone is thin doesn't mean they haven't had there own struggles. They may have been different than yours, but it doesn't make them any less knowledgeable or unable to give advice.

The great thing about advice is that you can either take it or leave it. So if you don't personally agree with what shes told you- than take it with a grain of salt and move on.

I do take a slight offense to you saying "skinny people who think they know better" - so its okay to label someone because they are thin but what if the reverse were stated? It shouldn't be about her weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Actually. someone with healthy habits would probably have some good advice to offer. Why are you dismissing it just because she's never had a weight problem?
    I've never had a significant weight problem, but took the time to educate myself on nutrition and exercise. I do have good advice to offer. Honestly, if people choose to dismiss it because of my weight... they're wrong.

^ This. Especially since maintenance is more important, and more difficult, than losing weight. The people who have "always been thin" or "always healthy" are that way because they're doing something to maintain that way.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    So I just got into an argument online with some skinny woman who's never had a weight problem in her life basically saying that all I know about weight loss is wrong and I'm giving horrible advice.

In all fairnes we're just reading one side of the argument so it's kinda hard to say whether she is wrong and you are right or vice versa.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Don't lift that, you'll get bulky ;)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Haha I see your point. But she believes that people should listen to their hunger/full signals... I don't believe it's accurate for someone who has weight issues from eating high calorie foods all the time, as they could be full after eating 35% under their TDEE once they start eating better and it's not healthy... hence why I think she's not the best person to give advice in these circumstances.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Crossed to the dark side?????

Oh SNAP!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Haha I see your point. But she believes that people should listen to their hunger/full signals... I don't believe it's accurate for someone who has weight issues, as they could be full after eating 35% under their TDEE and it's not healthy... hence why I think she's not the best person to give advice in these circumstances.

I mean...at some point you will, I assume, listen to your body's signals on hunger/fullness. I would hope that being here on MFP is giving you an idea of portion size, helping you learn the difference between actual hunger and boredom/stress caused hunger, and yes even giving you an idea of actual fullness.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Haha I see your point. But she believes that people should listen to their hunger/full signals... I don't believe it's accurate for someone who has weight issues, as they could be full after eating 35% under their TDEE and it's not healthy... hence why I think she's not the best person to give advice in these circumstances.

I mean...at some point you will, I assume, listen to your body's signals on hunger/fullness. I would hope that being here on MFP is giving you an idea of portion size, helping you learn the difference between actual hunger and boredom/stress caused hunger, and yes even giving you an idea of actual fullness.

Oh definitely!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think the real problem you are having is with anyone who "thinks they know better". Sometimes, you probably "think you know better" and that is why people reject YOUR advice, whether right or wrong. No one likes being told things which (in their opinion or in a general sense) are inaccurate or condescending, or make you feel judged or defensive (again, whether it's reality or not).

No, not everyone can listen to their hungry/full signals as a key to weight loss, or maintenance, or what ever. Does it work for some people? Probably. Does the integrity of her advice have anything to do with her being skinny? Not really.

Fitness opinions from MFP, scholarly articles, broscience, or some skinny girl -- it's all of the opinions are like *kitten* variety. Take what is useful for you, roll your eyes when you know you're right, and continue to share when it seems valuable to do so.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you assume that because she's never been overweight that she doesn't know how to get in shape?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I had a fun back and forth with a guy I never met on facebook after his comment of:

"I see obese people in the lifting area, they really need to get on a treadmill".