Skinny people who think they know better...

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I had a fun back and forth with a guy I never met on facebook after his comment of:

"I see obese people in the lifting area, they really need to get on a treadmill".

Aw hayl naw
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    O M G. If we all had a nickel for the times skinny people had the right answer on what to do to be skinny, we'd be better off than Fort Knox!!
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    "But she believes that people should listen to their hunger/full signals... "

She is both right and wrong! The goal will be to be able to listen to your body and also from the start on, you should watch out whether you are really hungry or maybe you are bored or stressed out etc (there are hundreds of reasons to eat!)

But if you expect it from the very beginning, it'll propably go wrong. It's something you have to (re)learn!
    One year ago, I ate double the portion sizes I eat today (and they are "normal" now). Because I had NO feeling of "being full" at ALL!

I would try to rely on obejctively "normal" portions (not too little!!) and try to get used to it. It's mostly a matter of habit, really!

I do get why you were annoyed by her advice. I think her advice would/will be good if you are near your goal weight and/or want to maintain your weight. But she is NOT the right person to get advice from if you just started because as you said, she won't be able to give advice to common struggles like 'right portion sizes' 'what to eat'. Because while it's a matter of habit for her to take 50g of noodles and 200g vegetables and a small piece of meat and it'd be a normal, delicious meal in her eyes, it'd be a total restriction for someone who is used to 200g noddles with fatty sauce and extra cheese!

Even though there is the same goal, you have to approach it differently. Don't be too mad because she doesn't get your struggle; try to use the advice that is helpful to YOU and continue informing yourself on a neutral basis :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Some skinny girls weren't always skinny and know the struggle, some skinny girls sit on top of the world and wonder why day people can't just be thin. Like it just never crossed their minds. Like how some rich people don't understand why the poor don't just buy more money. There are people who don't appreciate hard work because they've never been subjected to it.

Some girls are skinny, have never been overweight, and are still aware of how people get overweight, and understand their struggles.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Why the qualifier "skinny" is necessary in this context is a bit beyond me. I would think unsolicited advice from an inexperienced individual, skinny or otherwise, would be equally as unwanted. Just mah $0.02.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So I just got into an argument online with some skinny woman who's never had a weight problem in her life basically saying that all I know about weight loss is wrong and I'm giving horrible advice.

Gotta love it.. We all know someone like this, don't we?

Well, what do you "know" about weight loss and what kind of advice are you giving out?

I don't judge advice on the physique of the person giving it, skinny or not.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Haha I see your point. But she believes that people should listen to their hunger/full signals... I don't believe it's accurate for someone who has weight issues, as they could be full after eating 35% under their TDEE and it's not healthy... hence why I think she's not the best person to give advice in these circumstances.

But hunger signals are all dependent upon hormones, and a person whose hormones aren't in balance will not have reliable signals. People who eat too much, their hormones are signaling eat more and the hormone that signals fullness does not shut off correctly. People who eat too little, their signals are saying I can't eat any more I'm full even if they have not reached enough for proper nutrition.

She is correct, for someone who doesn't have imbalanced hormones, but she doesn't realize that they do not work the same way for everyone.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I just got into an argument online with some skinny woman who's never had a weight problem in her life basically saying that all I know about weight loss is wrong and I'm giving horrible advice.

How do you know she's wrong?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Read the rest of the thread, lol!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

You are jumping to some pretty unsupportable conclusions there....the fact that someone *can* control their urges does not mean they do not have strong urges!

Considering that the way to lose weight and maintain the weight loss is precisely "healthy eating and exercise habits" - yeah, seems to me that's a pretty solid person to listen to.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, what do you "know" about weight loss and what kind of advice are you giving out?

That's my question, as well. We've seen the "skinny" woman's advice, and it isn't "wrong."
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that some people just get lucky with an amazing metabolism. I've known people personally who ate ~5000 cals a day, exercised little, and stayed skinny (although whether they are healthy is debatable). Meanwhile, here I am gaining weight on a meager 1500 cals/day. I've always wondered if these lucky people know they are gifted, or if they think overweight people must all be eating 15,000 cals/day. On the flipside, the "skinny woman" mentioned by the OP may have a lifelong eating disorder and believe that the key to staying thin is limiting oneself to 500 cals/day.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Logging in for the turning point.... It's coming... any moment now.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that some people just get lucky with an amazing metabolism. I've known people personally who ate ~5000 cals a day, exercised little, and stayed skinny (although whether they are healthy is debatable). Meanwhile, here I am gaining weight on a meager 1500 cals/day. I've always wondered if these lucky people know they are gifted, or if they think overweight people must all be eating 15,000 cals/day. On the flipside, the "skinny woman" mentioned by the OP may have a lifelong eating disorder and believe that the key to staying thin is limiting oneself to 500 cals/day.

The great thing about beliefs is that they're just that: beliefs! If you are interested in researching it, there's plenty of resources (posted here and throughout the science world) letting you know that most everyone has very similar metabolisms. :flowerforyou:

Of course, some people have disorders that affect these slightly (I'm one of them), but I find it curious that you knew that one person was eating 5,000 calories a day. Were you with them 24/7 and weighed all their food? Wow, can I hire you?!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

As I said...she said it was horrible advice to tell someone they should try to eat closer to their goal even if they are not hungry (someone who was full eating 35% under her TDEE).
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

As I said...she said it was horrible advice to tell someone they should try to eat closer to their goal even if they are not hungry (someone who was full eating 35% under her TDEE).

There isn't anything particularly wrong with that. The human body has evolved specifically to handle wide variations in daily intake. Given the power of "refeeds", it is at least plausible that it actually prefers a large variation in daily intake.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Do you think shes never had a weight problem because she watches her diet and works out? I used to be a skinny gal until I wasnt, lol. Ate what I wanted and stayed thin. When I turned 28 things changed. Anyway, my point is, when I realized I had crossed over to the dark side I started to work out. I saw all the skinny girls really working out hardcore. I thought to mysef "why are they here, they are skinny". I came to realize they were skinny because they were working for it and always had.

She's healthy and has healthy eating habits. That's why it bothered me actually... I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

But apparently, because I've learned most of what I know from MFP, it's wrong too. Whatever...

eta quote messup mine is below
    My 9 year old has healthy eating habits, always has. She also knows more about macros, calories and what it takes for her dad to go thru a bulk and then a cut. I pray that she never has a weight issue. Whatever way people get to the body they want, whether from hard work from the start of there life or hard work when they have decided to change, how can you fault them for it? Hard work now or later is it not the same hard work?
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Do you think shes never had a weight problem because she watches her diet and works out? I used to be a skinny gal until I wasnt, lol. Ate what I wanted and stayed thin. When I turned 28 things changed. Anyway, my point is, when I realized I had crossed over to the dark side I started to work out. I saw all the skinny girls really working out hardcore. I thought to mysef "why are they here, they are skinny". I came to realize they were skinny because they were working for it and always had.

Crossed to the dark side?????

Oh SNAP!
    I think us big gals have been majorly insulted. Dark side generally implies evil, bad, satanic. I'm fat - not a bad person. And being fat, struggling with it all my life does not make me any more of an expert than the skinny person who never dieted. Knowledge of health & nutrition is not relative to a number on the scale.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options

Waiting with you.
  • olyakurganova
    Options
    Just asking....

She's healthy and has healthy eating habits. That's why it bothered me actually... I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

But apparently, because I've learned most of what I know from MFP, it's wrong too. Whatever...

Yeah, why take advice on fitness and diet from an athlete. Sheesh! They have no idea.

LOL. Wut?

This makes no sense to me at all.

Why take advice from an old fat football coach on how to win football games? Oh, because they know WTF they are talking about.

Why do people go to trainers? I mean, they are already in great shape. They have no idea how much I struggle?

Again, LOL. WUT?

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!