Any women over 45 out there trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I'm almost 46 and maintaining. My goals are to keep using my muscles to avoid aches and pains, to keep feeling energetic, and to maintain.
  • KrisB66
    Options
    I am 48 and trying to lose my last 15 pounds. I have already lost over 65. Feel free to friend me. :)

I do spin, group training, yoga and I run. I ran my first half and my first tri last year. I am just a regular empty nester looking to be as healthy as I can while challenging myself. :)
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 in a few months and really looking forward to it. My goal is to lose 58 pounds overall. It isn't always easy, but absolutely worth it!
  • maxkatemom
    Options
    Hi there! I love the leslie sansone DVDs, on a different thread I was asking if anyone used them and if so what their favourite ones are. Seeing as you've been so successful with them....which are your favourites and how often did you do them?
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I'm 50. Oh my, did I just say that out loud.
  • angrygreycat
    Options
    I'm 49. I have been yoyo-ing for the last 8 years ago. I have about 50 pounds to lose. I keep starting exercise routines and then having injuries, nothing major just bursitis & plantar fascitis, but enough to stop me from being able to exercise. Now the weather is horrible here in the North East and I can't workout outside.

Packed on my weight after my second pregnancy and never got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight. My daughter bought me a fitbit for Christmas and I am finding it very motivating.
  • dorenekimball
    dorenekimball Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i was 43y when i started. i lost a total of 45lbs from my highest weight. i gained back about 5lbs of that and am trying to get back on track wanting to lose 20lbs by july 1st. i did it by primarily watching what i ate. i ate anything i wanted to but what i wanted to changed. i would start to ask myself "is it worth it?" type questions. i also started with finding the calorie count that it took to maintain my current weight and then going down about 100cals from there. so, if it takes 1800cals to maintain my current weight, i'm gonna try to eat just 1700cals. when that got easier, i would reduce it another 100cals til i got down to 500 fewer cals per day than it took to maintain my weight (1300cals). it's hard to go from eating 2k-3k cals per day and instantly eat only 1200cals! i added exercise where i could (mostly a treadmill) but the bulk of my weight loss came from watching my calories. if i could go back to the beginning, i would definitely have added more strength training for my less than elastic skin. :ohwell: anyway, i lost the 45lbs in about 7mos. i'll be 45y old in may. good luck! it's totally do-able! :happy:
  • maryribeiro
    Options
    Me! Me! Me!!
  • fishergal5
    fishergal5 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and will need to lose a total of 40 lbs, at least. I work out at the gym twice a week and do yoga most other days. Please add me as a friend. Giving and receiving support is important!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    48 here. Started in July of last year and will be 49 in May. I am definitely having success and have many friends here in the same boat. It can most definitely be done....and done very well!! :-)
  • vwgirl64
    vwgirl64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am over 45 (a young ALMOST 50) and have lost close to 35 pounds. Love myfitnesspal! Please add me if you like.... vwgirl64

Thanks!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am 60 now & have lost 135 pounds! I am sending you a friend request, because I think we can support & encourage each other! I joined a fitness club & go to water aerobics class with other ladies over 45! that has helped me so much!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 42/43 without a specific weight loss goal. Just needed to "do something". Now I have lost 22+ pounds, became a workout bunny in my 40s, give advice to friends, and...realistically..still face new challenges but way better to fall, get back up, and move forward.

What works for me
    (1) Find an exercise that I like - for me, Pilates changed my life. Then I moved on to try something else..and more...and more....In my early 20s and 30s, I did the same old gym routine, with little results. And I did not enjoy it at all. Now, I am forever looking for new things to try, because my body is so used to moving :) My latest exploration is dance workout.

(2) MFP logging. I started with 1200 cals a day. My main problem was a huge appetite. That really helped me understand how many calories I consume...over time, I can estimate without food labels. BUT, that is not a sustainable number and gradually I upped it to 1300 or 1500. For a while, I REALLY tracked down to the last digit. Now at maintenance, I need a mental break. Basically, if I move, I can eat more. I rather do that than to limit myself. Food should be something to enjoy!

(3) Learn how to get back on the wagon. Seriously, the most important thing ever. My progress was linear....it was sooo smooth....then wham, set back here and there. I was freaking out. Talking with friends etc, I began to see how it is a life time journey, and without my new knowledge re eating and new love for exercise, I find that it gets easier and easier to deal with setbacks.

I hope this helps!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm 59. I'm no longer trying to lose weight because I met my goal over a year ago and have been maintaining since. Age does not gave to get in your way.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 47...started to make serious changes to my approach to fitness and diet right after my 46th birthday. IT CAN BE DONE! I've lost 36 lbs and I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in - and honestly, with MFP and consistently working out, it hasn't been that hard.

Feel free to add me if you'd like - I'm not at my goal weight yet (but I'm close)....
  • pcsg1008
    pcsg1008 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will be turning 45 this year. I have lost over 25 pounds and looking for another 15-20, feel free to add me as your friend. I also post my exercise under the notes. If you have a fitbit feel free to add me as a friend there too www.fitbit.com/user/22Z4WV.:smile:
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm a man but I can relate to this topic and to the journey you are embarking on. After a sedentary adulthood with bad eating habits I turned things around starting 5 years ago at the age of 42. I've lost 40 pounds and now at 47 I am in better shape, have more energy, and a much higher feeling of well being that I ever had in my 30's. Good luck in your journey and you will find it is well worth the initial sacrifice. Here's how I found the journey.

The first four months were grueling. Exercise was a grind, not enjoyable, hard, really had to trudge through to get through it. Had to really force myself to get up off the couch three times a week and do it. But I started with easier workouts and slowly built up over time. I didn't try to be too gung ho to early, but kept at it steadily and built consistent routine. Don't let excuses keep you from getting in your workout, ie there will always be reasons not to do it today, etc. After the four month mark things started to change. I was settled into the routine and it got much easier. By the time I hit eight months I had lots of energy, looked forward to the workouts, and had completely flip flopped, ie, I couldn't imagine "not" working out. Good Luck!
  • MaryCampanella
    Options
    I'm new too! This vortex has my eating out of control and I'm barely maintaining my weight let alone losing. Age brings many challenges!
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am almost 45 years. I have tried MFP a few times. I have tried all kinds of weight lost programs and I have been going to gym since I was 18. However, recently I have been trying a 12 weeks body transformation. 1200 cal (300 cal for breakfast, lunch and Dinner. Plus 100 cal for morning tea, afternoon tea and dessert) I think what is different about this plan is ME and MY FAMILY
    1) I have a completely different attitude. Before I wanted to loose weight but I still had personal demons that I struggled with and I could not keep to the program. and
    2) I am enjoying Combat and Pump classes now. and
    3) My boys are teenagers now and are more into healthy eating. So, I am no longer fighting them and my husband as well as me because all of us have a sweet tooth.

I am Australian. My goal is to get below 70 Kilos. (which is about 155 pounds or less).

Any one can add me if they want to be friends.
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Made it through my first week on MFP. Wow, that was the longest week ever. Sore from working out - logging in every day. I thought of all of us out there busting our chops and it motivated me. Hope you all had a great week -- anyone doing anything cool that's helping them?

I am drinking this Spark drink and it's helping me give up my diet coke. And I love diet coke. Tall glass with ice and a wedge of lime in the summer time. The problem is between coffee and diet coke I wasn't drinking any water so my goal (mini goal) this first week was to drink water and I made it. The one I am drinking is pink lemonade.