What happens to your body when you "carb binge"

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Labeling someone "anti-science" is a poor tactic.

LOL I did not know that yahoo answers is the peer reviewed source that all scientists turn to in their times of need...

I have explained my choice of that short answer. To keep on harping on it is to lose sight of the other points that I have made in this thread and the very serious research that is being done. Dr. Richard Johnson and his team of medical researchers were able to produce metabolic syndrome IN TWO WEEKS in 60% of normal-weight, male subjects, by giving them a large, high fructose drink every day. The researchers were startled and chagrined with their results. They were actually looking for the possibility that there was some mechanism by which normal-weight people were able to deal more effectively with large amounts of fructose. While the dose was admittedly a large one, it was certainly not beyond what many people drink in soda pop every day.
    Do you know what metabolic syndrome is.....it doesn't happen in 2 weeks, wow. What dose od fructose were the participants given....better yet link the study.

the "study" was actually some kind of forum on "food addiction" and "sugar addiction" so I am sure that all the "MD's" present were fair and unbiased towards sugar....
    Do you know if there's a link anywhere.......this has to be cleared up just in case some innocent bystanders start having nightmares.

found it:

http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/presenters-johnson.htm
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Omg this is hilarious. First off, all the "carbs" in the image for the article are either heavily processed or loaded with fat (I still don't understand why people associate pizza with carbs).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The level of fail within the article should be readily apparent to all readers at first glance.

What-Happens-To-Your-Body-When-You-Carb-Binge-healthylivinghowto.com-drop-shadow-826x439.jpg

Given that pretty much nothing in the picture but the glass of soda derives the majority of its cals from carbs. Possibly the muffin.

With most treat foods its the fat, not the sugar, that makes up the majority of the cals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

LOL I did not know that yahoo answers is the peer reviewed source that all scientists turn to in their times of need...

I have explained my choice of that short answer. To keep on harping on it is to lose sight of the other points that I have made in this thread and the very serious research that is being done. Dr. Richard Johnson and his team of medical researchers were able to produce metabolic syndrome IN TWO WEEKS in 60% of normal-weight, male subjects, by giving them a large, high fructose drink every day. The researchers were startled and chagrined with their results. They were actually looking for the possibility that there was some mechanism by which normal-weight people were able to deal more effectively with large amounts of fructose. While the dose was admittedly a large one, it was certainly not beyond what many people drink in soda pop every day.
    Do you know what metabolic syndrome is.....it doesn't happen in 2 weeks, wow. What dose od fructose were the participants given....better yet link the study.

the "study" was actually some kind of forum on "food addiction" and "sugar addiction" so I am sure that all the "MD's" present were fair and unbiased towards sugar....
    Do you know if there's a link anywhere.......this has to be cleared up just in case some innocent bystanders start having nightmares.

found it:

Taking a quick look at the reference studies they alluded to the fact that fructose caused insulin resistance. The dosage was 250g's of fructose which is equivalent to 16 cups of soda but you have to realize in order to actually deliver 250 g's of fructose the subject would also be consuming about the same amount of glucose, so say another 250 g's. 500 g's of sugar or 2000 calories from sugar for 7 days.......yeah, that sounds legit. Basically they consumed sugar for a week. lol. I grazed over the other studies and they were all similar. Enough said.

EDIT: math
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    How carbs affect you is HIGHLY dependent on your degree of insulin resistance or lack thereof. Everyone that is fat has some insulin resistance. Lazy fat people often hive quite a bit, all the way on up to type 2 diabetes.

All of the descriptions of what occurs with sugar in the system assumes a broken metabolic system; some insulin resistance. With a perfect functioning system the body can maintain stable blood glucose levels. The so called "crash" does not occur.

The idea that extra carbs in the blood when the muscles are "full" is converted into fat is a gross exaggeration that lacks context. In order for the body to covert carbs to fat, all glucose storage in the body has to be full. This requires not a piece of cake, but a massive carb binge sustained for days (as glycogen levels rise, the body will shift to burning it preferentially, to overcome this you need to eat more than your bodies' total energy needs in carbs for multiple days straight). Needless to say this virtually never occurs. De Novo Lipogenesis, the conversion of carbs to fat, is an irrelevant process in humans. Most people have never once in their life had a binge to the degree where it would occur.

The tables can be turned though as well. Once you join the ranks of the lean, hormone control when cutting is a very big deal. One of the main ways that hormones are manipulated is through refeeds, massive purposeful carb binges (which unlike the "carbs" in the picture for the article, should be from low fat sources (and also low in fructose, but that is a separate discussion)). Unlike how the article describes, a well done refeed will having you feeling epic. You quite simply feel awesome, its almost a high (likely due to production of the same neurotransmitters that give you runners high). People who refeed as a tool are also usually lean and into heavy exercise, especially strength training, which means having insulin hypersensitivity, not insulin resistance.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    How carbs affect you is HIGHLY dependent on your degree of insulin resistance or lack thereof. Everyone that is fat has some insulin resistance. Lazy fat people often hive quite a bit, all the way on up to type 2 diabetes.

All of the descriptions of what occurs with sugar in the system assumes a broken metabolic system; some insulin resistance. With a perfect functioning system the body can maintain stable blood glucose levels. The so called "crash" does not occur.

The idea that extra carbs in the blood when the muscles are "full" is converted into fat is a gross exaggeration that lacks context. In order for the body to covert carbs to fat, all glucose storage in the body has to be full. This requires not a piece of cake, but a massive carb binge sustained for days (as glycogen levels rise, the body will shift to burning it preferentially, to overcome this you need to eat more than your bodies' total energy needs in carbs for multiple days straight). Needless to say this virtually never occurs. De Novo Lipogenesis, the conversion of carbs to fat, is an irrelevant process in humans. Most people have never once in their life had a binge to the degree where it would occur.

The tables can be turned though as well. Once you join the ranks of the lean, hormone control when cutting is a very big deal. One of the main ways that hormones are manipulated is through refeeds, massive purposeful carb binges (which unlike the "carbs" in the picture for the article, should be from low fat sources (and also low in fructose, but that is a separate discussion)). Unlike how the article describes, a well done refeed will having you feeling epic. You quite simply feel awesome, its almost a high (likely due to production of the same neurotransmitters that give you runners high). People who refeed as a tool are also usually lean and into heavy exercise, especially strength training, which means having insulin hypersensitivity, not insulin resistance.

Makes total sense.
    The last paragraph... yes, epic indeed.

On a much much smaller scale and quite by accident I had a day or two of highly intense training e.g., boxing (legitimate, not cardio kick boxing) and military calithenics. Two days back to back about 180 hours. Yesterday I overloaded on the carbs and calories partially intentionally and part by accident since some of my carbs were not healthy ones.

However, after getting through it and feeling quite ill last night and even into this morning I have to say that now that I've recovered I feel amazing and have even lost an inch or two as a result.

As I said, I don't know the science behind it and didn't plan this scenario but I have to agree, I do feel epic :smile:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

hADB163E9
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

found it:

Taking a quick look at the reference studies they alluded to the fact that fructose caused insulin resistance. The dosage was 250g's of fructose which is equivalent to 16 cups of soda but you have to realize in order to actually deliver 250 g's of fructose the subject would also be consuming about the same amount of glucose, so say another 250 g's. 500 g's of sugar or 2000 calories from sugar for 7 days.......yeah, that sounds legit. Basically they consumed sugar for a week. lol. I grazed over the other studies and they were all similar. Enough said.

That 16 cups of soda is well within the consumption of many obese folk. That is only 8 large tumblers of soda (or 4 "Big Gulps"). My Type II diabetic brother (and he is decidedly NOT unusual in that respect) would, in the past, easily drink that every day. He actually was not very obese at any point--just a pot belly. But he is quite tall (6'2") and used to be athletic. When he was diagnosed with Type II--the docs told him to eat low-fat, which he did faithfully (and, at my sister's suggestion, he switched to diet soda) and yet, his diabetes became much worse. His diet mainly consisted then and now, of carbohydrates and he was never, at any point restricted from sugar by his doctors. He is now insulin-dependent. I, on the other hand, immediately cut out added sugar when I was told by my doctor that my blood sugar level was too high. My FBS, HgA1C, and triglycerides are now perfect. Coincidence--probably not. Look, despite what you sugar advocates seem to think, I am not against a moderate amount of sugar in the diet of healthy, active people (and I have said so, elsewhere in the thread), but for those who are struggling with metabolic derangement of one sort or another (and that is a very large proportion of those over 40) excessive sugar intake is deadly.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

found it:

That 16 cups of soda is well within the consumption of many obese folk. That is only 8 large tumblers of soda (or 4 "Big Gulps"). My Type II diabetic brother (and he is decidedly NOT unusual in that respect) would, in the past, easily drink that every day. He actually was not very obese at any point--just a pot belly. But he is quite tall (6'2") and used to be athletic. When he was diagnosed with Type II--the docs told him to eat low-fat, which he did faithfully (and, at my sister's suggestion, he switched to diet soda) and yet, his diabetes became much worse. His diet mainly consisted then and now, of carbohydrates and he was never, at any point restricted from sugar by his doctors. He is now insulin-dependent. I, on the other hand, immediately cut out added sugar when I was told by my doctor that my blood sugar level was too high. My FBS, HgA1C, and triglycerides are now perfect. Coincidence--probably not. Look, despite what you sugar advocates seem to think, I am not against a moderate amount of sugar in the diet of healthy, active people (and I have said so, elsewhere in the thread), but for those who are struggling with metabolic derangement of one sort or another (and that is a very large proportion of those over 40) excessive sugar intake is deadly.
    People die drinking too much water.......moral of story, everything has deleterious effects in excess. Just don't jump up and down saying people are going to die because they drink water.......I'm sure that makes no sense to you based on your current crusade.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I dont eat carbs a lot. It makes me bloated.

Where my energy comes from when I workout? Fat burn
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you eat zero carbs or some carbs?
  • MysteriousLdy
    Options

so you eat zero carbs or some carbs?

Lean meats..chicken,beef & fish, eggs is a must for me everyday at least 2,legumes and greenies

I just join MFP, but I had been watching my food intake for certain time. Its just I start to do counting of my calorie intake :happy:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

The human body can't metabolize fat fast enough to support high intensity exercise. Either your workouts are not using nearly as much energy as you think, or you're eating more carbs than you're letting on.
  • MysteriousLdy
    Options

The human body can't metabolize fat fast enough to support high intensity exercise. Either your workouts are not using nearly as much energy as you think, or you're eating more carbs than you're letting on.

Umm let me see ,my workout (4-5times a week), consists of 45-80mins, cardio: elliptical and stat rowing, strength training: 100-120 Abs crunches, 70 squats, 100xsit-ups with weight on hands.
    Occasionally lap-swimming,non-stop, butterfly/breast-stroke of 60-80mins..if thats not intensive..I have no ideas what it call

I do high protein intake,less carbs intake
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

found it:

People die drinking too much water.......moral of story, everything has deleterious effects in excess. Just don't jump up and down saying people are going to die because they drink water.......I'm sure that makes no sense to you based on your current crusade.

Did you actually read the post that you responded to? You are arguing with a straw man. I am NOT on an anti-sugar "crusade" any more than is the American Heart Association (which has spoken to the problem of too much sugar in the standard diet). Please read carefully before you respond.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Umm let me see ,my workout (4-5times a week), consists of 45-80mins, cardio: elliptical and stat rowing, strength training: 100-120 Abs crunches, 70 squats, 100xsit-ups with weight on hands.
    Occasionally lap-swimming,non-stop, butterfly/breast-stroke of 60-80mins..if thats not intensive..I have no ideas what it call

Generally speaking (very generally), women are more capable than men of using fat for energy expenditure.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Generally speaking (very generally), women are more capable than men of using fat for energy expenditure.

Yes--the female hormone, progesterone, helps to stimulate the conversion of fat to energy needs. A number of obese women have discovered that they have no problem controlling their weight when pregnant. It is after the very high levels of progesterone end (with the end of their pregnancy) that they may begin to, once again, struggle with their weight--especially since lactation requires higher than normal levels of estrogen (the "body fat loving" female hormone) even though their calorie-expenditure is boosted from feeding a growing infant.
  • ndj1979
    Options

found it:

Did you actually read the post that you responded to? You are arguing with a straw man. I am NOT on an anti-sugar "crusade" any more than is the American Heart Association (which has spoken to the problem of too much sugar in the standard diet). Please read carefully before you respond.

not on anti sugar crusade but demonizes sugar….interesting concept ….almost, as interesting as negative calorie foods...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

found it:

not on anti sugar crusade but demonizes sugar….interesting concept ….almost, as interesting as negative calorie foods...

The so-called "demonization" of sugar is an apparent obsession of yours. What does it matter if I detest sugary foods (which I do not--I just don't eat them for the sake of my health)? Your situation is obviously different from mine.
  • ndj1979
    Options

The so-called "demonization" of sugar is an apparent obsession of yours. What does it matter if I detest sugary foods (which I do not--I just don't eat them for the sake of my health)? Your situation is obviously different from mine.

because you are spreading mis-information to people who may not be very knowledgable and then think that if all they do is just eliminate all sugar that will lead to long term sustainable solutions; when in reality, if they just moderated their intake, ate in a deficit, and worked out/moved more they would have much better long term success.