What happens to your body when you "carb binge"

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live a life where a slice of lemon sponge cake is considered a binge.
    giphy.gif

It is still a free country, last time I checked.

WTH does Canada (which is a federal parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy not a "free" country) have to do with me not wanting to live a life where a slice lemon sponge cake is considered a binge? :huh: Your life is not mine. You want live without eating lemon sponge cake or any other foods on your Big List O' Naughty and Deadly Foodz, you do that, but don't try throwing me under your Sugar Iz Ebil bandwagon, or whatever it's called.

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

It is a manner of speaking meaning, " *shrug* It's your life--do with it what you will." Why the anger? Are you afraid that I am going to send the "Sugar Police" after you? And why bring Canada into the discussion? Honestly, sometimes I think that sugar must wreck brain cells or something.

actually it is non sugar consumption that wrecks the brain ..not enough energy for logical thought.

Not at all true. The body is quite capable of doing without the consumption of added sugar as is the brain. The brain can operate on ketone bodies. We have LOTS of fail safes--otherwise, the human race would likely have become extinct a long time ago.

did you find that on yahoo answers or ask jeeves?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm going to do a research project to test the theory that consuming sugary foods not only impairs brain function but also contributes to highly aggressive behavior. Good night, kids.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I don't want to live a life where a slice of lemon sponge cake is considered a binge.
    giphy.gif

WTH does Canada (which is a federal parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy not a "free" country) have to do with me not wanting to live a life where a slice lemon sponge cake is considered a binge? :huh: Your life is not mine. You want live without eating lemon sponge cake or any other foods on your Big List O' Naughty and Deadly Foodz, you do that, but don't try throwing me under your Sugar Iz Ebil bandwagon, or whatever it's called.

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

It is a manner of speaking meaning, " *shrug* It's your life--do with it what you will." Why the anger? Are you afraid that I am going to send the "Sugar Police" after you? And why bring Canada into the discussion? Honestly, sometimes I think that sugar must wreck brain cells or something.

actually it is non sugar consumption that wrecks the brain ..not enough energy for logical thought.

Not at all true. The body is quite capable of doing without the consumption of added sugar as is the brain. The brain can operate on ketone bodies. We have LOTS of fail safes--otherwise, the human race would likely have become extinct a long time ago.

If you knew anything at all about bio-chemistry, you would know that it was true. Mockery does not become you.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    >orig published Marks Daily Apple; come on in, the Koolaid is fine!
    >1 piece of cake is a binge

...oh boy.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    giphy.gif

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

If you knew anything at all about bio-chemistry, you would know that it was true. Mockery does not become you.

LOL I am not the one posting yahoo answers as sources….
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bunch of hyperbole and misdirection basically.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Bunch of hyperbole and misdirection basically.

and here I was hoping you were going to break it down and annihilate it like you usually do :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If I have a day of too heavy carbs, I feel awful. Worse, I wake up the next day and feel like I have a hangover! People around me often hear me say that I need some protein. I've always been this way.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Maybe another poster commented this already but vegetables and fruits are high in carbohydrates, so I feel the article title misses the mark. I think they intend to mean refined carbohydrates, that is to say white flour and sugar.
    Anyway, I know someone, and really admire, who does not consume flour or sugar or alcohol or nicotine or caffeine at all, and works out at a gym regularly, as well as at a karate dojo. I don't know if I am capable of maintaining all of those habits. But I think it is really nice to know that it can be done, even in this US of A, by a functioning, healthy, gainfully employed, family man. It can be done.

Maybe you should introduce him to Michael Phelps, who is obviously doing it all wrong!

Personally, that lifestyle is absolute misery. Since taking up alcohol, carbs, sugar, the odd cigarette my race times are through the roof, and get this! My income has TRIPLED!!!!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Actually sugar does effect our immune system. The metabolic pathway into cell structure for vitamin C is also used for glucose and too much glucose shunts vitamin C uptake compromising the immune systems effectiveness.
    [/quote]

Thank you....:o).
    I have had RA since highschool and unfortunately was diagnosed with rampant systemic Lupus 2.5 years ago. Both illnesses are autoimmune diseases and are greatly made worse by my eating too much sugar. I stay within two pieces of fruit a day and avoid all added sugar and processed types of carbs, which make things even worse.
    I am always surprised that the majority of those who tout the supposed fact that sugar is harmless are usually those in their 20's and lower 30's and that those in their 40's, 50's and more advanced years all of a sudden avoid certain types of sugars. I wonder why that is ......is it possible that sugar abuse sooner or later does catch up with many of us ?
    [/quote]

Just to add another perspective in this sugar is evil war....I
    I'm 43 and have embraced all types of carbs after years of unsuccessful low carb sugar free diets. I've dropped around 10% body fat. From calorie counting, eating enough protein, nutrient dense foods and sports.
    I regularly drink alcohol, eat white pasta, pure glucose, chocolate, I smoke, drink coffee.
    I've never felt more energetic, and look 10 years younger than I did before.
    It's more a case of calorie abuse catching up with us. Good ole CICO.
    Keep researching your diseases, don't be tempted to follow incorrect information, and good luck on getting healthy again!

Ps why is the quote thing so annoying? My bit is from "just to add...
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    "All foods have some calories. No food is actually "negative calorie" food. BUT the overall effect of certain foods in our body is that of "negative calories". Negative calorie foods are foods, which use more calories to digest than the calories the foods actually contain!

Myth. Find an ACTUAL source to back up the idea that this happens (hint: you can't).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    "All foods have some calories. No food is actually "negative calorie" food. BUT the overall effect of certain foods in our body is that of "negative calories". Negative calorie foods are foods, which use more calories to digest than the calories the foods actually contain!

Myth. Find an ACTUAL source to back up the idea that this happens (hint: you can't).

she did - yahoo answers...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Actually, I'm going to do a research project to test the theory that consuming sugary foods not only impairs brain function but also contributes to highly aggressive behavior. Good night, kids.

will you be getting all of your research for this project from yahoo answers, and ask jeeves?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    giphy.gif

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

I did not have time to do a proper researching of the subject and grabbed a simple explanation. I'm sure YOU have never done anything like that?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    giphy.gif

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

I did not have time to do a proper researching of the subject and grabbed a simple explanation. I'm sure YOU have never done anything like that?

Nope.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    That article made me feel ****ter than i actually did after eating all kinds of sugar yesterday! We all have off days and what makes all the difference is not to give up, look at each day as a fresh start. I agree I did feel sluggish late in the day and regretted eating what I did..but that's life! I'm not perfect and can't expect myself to never have sugar binges ever again.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

NO. That's the point. If you don't have a REAL source (a relevant, properly controlled, ACTUAL study. Not "a guy with a PhD's opinion") then don't claim you have ANY proof of your position.

Because you don't.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

The problem is, it detracts from someones credibility because while some foods have very few calories and the thermic effect of some of those foods are high, it's still not going to negate all the calories......it's basically a myth, but like most myths when it gets repeated enough, people start to believe them and sources like yahoo is going to support that kind of hearsay.