Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dreadlocks

DSTMT
DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
I've always been a big fan of dreadlocks, I think if they're done nicely they look really good on most people, and over the years I've seriously considered dreading my hair several times. The only thing stopping me is that in my early 20s I cut my waist-long hair down to an inch because I was sick of it, and growing it out again was a huge pain in the a**, and I don't want to have to do that again if I get sick of dreads.

SO, just to pass the time and keep my mind off the fact that I know my husband isn't going to do a damn thing for valentine's day lol, I wanted to see what everyone else thinks of them. Opinions? Who's got 'em, and can I see pics if you do? I love the way they look.

Replies

• DSTMT
    *watches a tumbleweed roll by*...
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    I'll admit, at some point I wanted dreads. However, I have to admit that I do worry how damaged my hair will end up if I decide to take them out at some point..
  • I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Just a tad stereotypical...

Anyway, to the OP if you like dreads go for it but research before jumping right in. Ignore those who are judgemental and ignorant, after all it is only you who can decide.
  • Now, now kids, don't fight, it's love day.

Anyways, I slept next to someone just last night that has dreads. His are fantastic. I'll see if I can find a picture.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

Anyway, to the OP if you like dreads go for it but research before jumping right in. Ignore those who are judgemental and ignorant, after all it is only you who can decide.

I'm not a fan of those who advise people to ignore others' opinions and then give them advice.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I think they're fine, and I also think they look really good on most people. But yea, def do the research. As Sin said, once you get them, they're there. You'll have to cut your hair off if you get tired of them. But I like them. I personally couldn't do it; seems like too much work, and there's no way I could chop my hair :)
  • DSTMT

Wow, look at who decided to come in and judge people when they're giving their opinion, a faceless wonder that woke up hangry and alone today.
    Go back to where you came from and quit being hangry on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I don't think katielauren meant it in a bad way (correct me if I'm wrong lol) but I think by judgmental and ignorant she was making reference to people thinking dreadlocks make a person look homeless and dirty.
  • katielauren2001
    Ignore negative opinions attributed to dreadlocks as well as associations with homelessness. There is no shame in being homeless.Thats what I meant.
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    I had them when I was 17, they were pretty easy to maintain. It was horrible at first not being able to wash them as I was used to, but it was ok. I used a soap to wash them, and let the water trickle through. They were never "smelly", mine was tight small ones, so they didnt look ratty and messy.

Mine were just past shoulder length, when I left uni I cut them out, and had to cut my hair to about ear length. I still have one of them in my memory box lol. No pics on this PC though, they are on my home PC back in UK :(
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    I've seen them look good on some, but it's definitely a polarizing "look". My white friend got them and a black lady told her that my friend was misappropriating the black lady's culture. So people have strong opinions about dreads, especially when white people have them, I find.
  • Sinisterly

Wow, look at who decided to come in and judge people when they're giving their opinion, a faceless wonder that woke up hangry and alone today.
    Go back to where you came from and quit being hangry on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I don't think katielauren meant it in a bad way (correct me if I'm wrong lol) but I think by judgmental and ignorant she was making reference to people thinking dreadlocks make a person look homeless and dirty.
    I've never seen a homeless person with dreads .-.
    Those things require some high maintenance to keep them looking good. I would know, I had to wash them for my friend and apply about 3 different products for her.
  • katielauren2001
    And im referring to that fact that many of society generally have the same attitude. But no I meant nothing malicious by it. I just don't think a hairstyle should be attributed to a devastating thing that affects many people the world over.
  • I don't think katielauren meant it in a bad way (correct me if I'm wrong lol) but I think by judgmental and ignorant she was making reference to people thinking dreadlocks make a person look homeless and dirty.

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you were looking for opinions of what people thought of them.

My bad for not telling you what you wanted to hear. :flowerforyou:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I've seen them look good on some, but it's definitely a polarizing "look". My white friend got them and a black lady told her that my friend was misappropriating the black lady's culture. So people have strong opinions about dreads, especially when white people have them, I find.

As a black woman, I find this idiotic. People can wear their hair any way they want. Of all the things to get offended by...sheesh
  • DSTMT
    I think they're fine, and I also think they look really good on most people. But yea, def do the research. As Sin said, once you get them, they're there. You'll have to cut your hair off if you get tired of them. But I like them. I personally couldn't do it; seems like too much work, and there's no way I could chop my hair :)

See that's exactly my issue, although I have heard stories about people combing them out over the course of several days using like 10 bottles of conditioner, but I don't know what kind of state one's hair would be in after all that lol. And I hated how I looked with short hair so I don't want to do that again if I can help it.
  • ...... on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I dont want to hijack the thread but I cant concentrate now Sin...the metaphors are running rampant
  • I really like dreads on most people you just have to make sure you maintain them, I love guys with very nicely kempt dreads. Also if you decide you don't want them anymore you don't have to cut them off, I know people who have actually brushed their dreads out starting from the front of their head. It is a gradual process and could possibly take weeks but if you could find a way to style it while doing this you could avoid cutting them off.
  • DSTMT

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you were looking for opinions of what people thought of them.

My bad for not telling you what you wanted to hear. :flowerforyou:

No no, that's not what I meant. I was just trying to keep an argument from happening between two other people. All opinions are welcome, as long as they're not rude for the sake of being rude lol.
  • Sinisterly
    ...... on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I dont want to hijack the thread but I cant concentrate now Sin...the metaphors are running rampant
    You go back to checking if I stole your major organs!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: